And So it all begins,
I think it will be motivational to start a thread on our preparation, less we slack off... Being confronted with the blatant lack of progress should help up to choose between priorities... :)

To sum some:
Team Broom is the 109th entry for this years RBRR.
As Sean and I have been confronted first hand with the effects of Cancer and Cancer patients in our daily life it was important for us to participate in this years Charity.
The only steed we have at our disposal to take up the challenge is a
1950 Triumph Renown,
After long discussion here on the forum we decided that it should be possible to complete the event with her, that we could even do so in relative comfort and that since every body thinks we will be coming in last we volunteered to collect all parts fallen off the other entrants and sweep up the roads, less CT would be fined for littering,.... Team Broom was born...

Let start off with a picture of the car in the state she is beginning of February....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see there is a shiny new engine, but little else.
Even the engine had it's issues, having first rebuild the head with valves springs and valve guides out of the ruined engine, the one we bought and the spare one I that came with the car, my mechanic (AKA Sheepy) decided that there was too much play within the valves and valve guides. Rimmer Bros supplied an overhaul set of valves, guides and springs but they arrived as being for a TR2 engine, the valve stems are different. Eventually the Triumph Razoredge Club provided the correct items.
Together with the Valves I had ordered quite a few other car specific items:
Bearings, Brake pads, oil seals, wiper blades, overhaul kits....

So while the engine was out, why not upgrade the loom.
Autosparks has moved on a bit since I changed the Loom of the Roadster, then they would quote you a price and all modifications would be discussed without affecting the price, Now each modification is billed extra on top of what is already a pricey item. additional the waiting time is 6 weeks...
So to save a bit of money for the other Items I bought a loom for a 420 Jaguar from them, they had them on sale and after googling the wiring diagrams I figured that most of the color wires I needed were in this loom, Just a matter of rearranging.
The new loom arrived.
First mistake, the outer shield was braided and not wrapped. I had planned on reusing the outer shield to retain that original look, but not possible now. In lieu we had to use wrapping ruban..

At work I had spend my evening hours (just in case my boss ever reads this :) ) in going over the wiring diagrams for the renown, adding my modifications and getting it all in an Excel sheet.
I traced each wire from begin to end point, called these nodes and made a list of where each went, the color and the gauge.
At home i measured the length of each section and spurs by using some household wire which then was laid flat on a sheet of plywood  

Dismantling of the new loom:

sorting all the wires by color group.
Nothing difficult here except that Chinese made scalpels have a memory and they seem to remember that their purpose of their creation in an obscure factory somewhere in Shanghai is to cut human flesh and not wireloom braiding...(mad)
The Plywood worktable with the household wire attached to it to visualize the spurs

Work in progress,
I also screwed some ex washing machine hose clamps ( knew they would come in handy one day) to the table to act as rough guides. Turned out i had not enough of them so I also tacked some broad tie-wraps to the board. As soon as I would have added a wire to the loom I loosely attached it again with some ti-wraps
this is the front end about to be finished with the spurs for the headlights, side lights, horns and driving lights

Turned out that I had not enough wire to complete also the spur going to the rear, so I will have a connector where this spur branches off the main loom and have used trailer cable to serve the Rear lights and added the other services from the wires out of the Jaguar loom ( fuel sender, interior light, trafficators)
i was able to use the same color code for most of the wires, with very minor differences for the other ones, Think brown with Yellow tracer in lieu of brown with white tracer and so. Still, as it is documented it should be no problem to trace back in the future.

This is as far as I got for the wire loom, next step is to detail the nodes and spurs at the bulkhead and instruments. Because i will be adding relays and modern flashing indicators plus a lot of non original equipment (kenlow, driving lights, overdrive,...) I will need to find space for these and detail the loom accordingly once made up.
Then it is only a matter of splicing and wrapping it all tight with wireloom tape.

Good news is that it is all repairable, given a few fistfull's of poundies  :D
Overdrive spares and Overdrive Repairs both quoted similar prices, 60 GBP for a new adapter plate and 800 GBP for a full refurbishing and repair.
I have been debating with my accountant and seen that the box comes from the same supplier of the engine and both turned out quite less good than promised It seem prudent to send the box and OD for a full overhaul rather than risk having noise bearings or an nonoperational OD. Ah well, that trip to the Caribbean will have to be replaced by a daytrip to Blankeberge plage this year...
However now the hunt is on to find a decent transport company that is willing to ship a wooden box of 80 by 40 by 50 cm weighting 50 KG to Rugby without asking an arm and a leg, first quotes received are up to 400 GBP  :o
It seems to be ok if you ship smaller parcels, up to 30 KG there is a fierce competition and you can book via the web (think ParceltoGo) but past this limit most companies will only quote if you are a professional and send a lot of items, open an account with them etc... Also for some reason it seems cheaper to send from UK to Belgium than the other way round, go figure...

Meanwhile Sean has not been idle and having removed the head from the engine, has put all 3 heads we have through the part washer at work and has rebuild the best out of the 3 with the new valves and guides.
( I hope he will put some pictures up and update this thread according to the progress he is making ) Hint--- Hint--- there is more in life than bricklaying and obeying Memsabib  ;)

thescrapman wrote:
Dirk

Can you find anyone coming over to the Uk and then make use of the CT courier?

Or, you could come and visit us for some Belgium beer and chocolate and then seeing as your heading back to blighty could take the box back with you!  ;) ;)

I will see if my other friend who often visits Belgium, when he is over next, could get him to take it to uk (he is in grays, , Essex)

Got a few more prices back for the shipping of the gearbox
UPS 165 Euro
TNT 55 Euro

TNT is by far the cheapest so far, only one caveat, I calculated the price on their website telling them I was a company, when you tick individual the Website throws you out, "We have no services for your request"
Two options, or I ask ODS if they can arrange courier for me or I write them and ask for an account, which I do not want to do.

The other option is to take the gearbox with us when we will be over next June, but since we are going to take the Roadster this is hardly practical.

Dirk

Bad news,
TNT doesnt want to ship parcels for individuals, they only work with the Trade and you have to have a VAT number (registered company?). So they are out unless I can find a company where to drop the box off and they ship it for me on their account.
other possibility: I have written to OD spares and OD repair if they would be willing to arrange pick up of the parcel using their normal transport company.
If not it will be CT courrier  :o

DHL came back with a price cough couch: 373.25 EUR They even phoned home to ask when they could come and pick up the parcel.... Yea, let me check my lottery numbers first.
Fed-Ex: 410 Euro, or 140 in economy... Will this mean that the box is not served a bottle of champagne and is not loaded in front of the truck by the best looking stewardess?

Dirk

I have a TNT account, and my business is based in Coventry - which is only a few miles from Rugby. I'll happily take and fetch from Coventry to Rugby and back again - I forget which overdrive company is in Rugby, (thats my age !) but its one of the 2 you have spoken to.

Reimburse the TNT costs and I'll sort the UK end for you. I'll have to get a quote from TNT - because they have allsorts of rates dependant upon your turnover and whats on the web isn't always correct (ask me how I know  :o )

Anything to see your car on the RBRR

send me a pm to sort the details out

mike