• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

the clutch doesnt fit....
The seal carrier at the front of the box is different!
Easy swap around, however the new seal is not easily removed from the carrier. Still with a bit of perseverance and the correct Churchill tool ( CH 563,... aka a bent screwdriver) the seals are also swapped over.

This is the "new" seal carrier, it has a longer sleeve of a different (bigger) diameter, the old release bearing did not fit over it.

and trying to get to grips with mousing the bolts...  :)

next hurdle was to get the cut out switch to operate with the different style levers.  After a bit of head scratching the mounting plate was first bent flat and then re-shaped to get the correct distance so the switch would operate.
Checking with a Multi-meter and it all works! .... Back wards.... The switch engages when reverse is selected ( the aft lever selects reverse) I would need a Normally closed switch which will drop the power to the solenoid when the cam activates the plunger.
Back to the shopping basket.

Next day we are ready to lift the box back in...
connected up with the engine,
Because the OD -extension has a bit more girth  than the original tail space is very limited between the rear support carrier on  the chassis cross member and Tunnel housing. Still, it is as good a fit as any and with the help of a few crowbars, lifting tackle and a few strategically placed boots to give it a push where needed this is as far as we got:

Time for a beer break and a bit more head scratching.

From 1950 onward you could order a renown with an optional overdrive, but the solenoid must have been different or the chassis of an overdrive car must have been modified from the standard one.

Not to be helped, we will have to modify the chassis, so out comes the grinder, cold chisel and welder....

And IT STILL WILL NOT FIT !!!!

Not only did we cut too high, now the box is in but is resting on the solenoid but also the speedo take off is just in line with the body to chassis mount..
Bummer, more work... tomorrow will be the 4th time the box and engine leave the car...

measure twice, cut once....
How we are going to get around the speedo connection I am not sure, we do have a digital speedo working of a magnetic pick up on the wheel, so it will not be insurmountable not having the original, however then we would not have a trip or odometer.
We'll see once the box is back out again.

Dirk

its in !!!!  8) 8) 8)
more pictures and story to follow.
eventually it pays to take a few step backwards, in this case to remove all the floorboards and tunnel to have access from above. The time gained in trying to get the box back in outweighs the hassle to unscrew the  boards and such...
Been a long day, off to bed
Di

Good going! I'm liking the lights down the side of the ramp as well. Did they come fitted or did you find some special protected ones?

4058 wrote:
Good to finish on a high matey!   ;)

And at least tonight I didn't smash my face with the crow bar!

See you tomorrow.

Don't go doing that. Image is everything with your new hairdressing profession.  ;D

thescrapman wrote:
Bit late now but.."... Would the other solenoid type (vertical) have fitted?

euuuh,
Did not know they came in 2 flavors. It probably would have fitted.
When I bought the box i was told it came off a Renown, probably one made in China...

Shaun... Hairdresser..... ?? (think)(think)

Oh I see The Miata... ;D ;D

Still your honor I can assure you the damage was self inflicted....

Dirk

ferny wrote:
Good going! I'm liking the lights down the side of the ramp as well. Did they come fitted or did you find some special protected ones?

No the ramp came with them installed. Handy but not always, they can be blinding depending what you're doing

D