I'm using OsmAnd + on a tablet. 

it is free if you want to limit to 7 maps downloads or a few pounds for the unilmited version. It works very well. You can make your routes on Routeyou.com and then export them to their version of GPX. 

Some of the menu items are a bit confusing but there is a whole active help and developer forum. 

D

Clive

A very useful link. It appears that you can directly import .gpx files into the TomTom these days which makes life a lot easier. It applies to the following TomTom's

I am sure that as usual there will be .gpx (& .itn) files available after the drivers meetings. However it is always essential to mark up your map book to find alternative routes when the way ahead is blocked (eg Andora was completely closed to through traffic during the 2009 10CR)

H

Quoted from michael-

What is my drive and how does it work?, regards michael

Hi Michael - MyDrive is the programme on your computer that controls map updates, speed camera updates, etc., when you connect your satnav to the computer.  It's an easy way to control and make changes and updates to the satnav.  If your satnav has WiFi built in you don't actually need it, but it is easier to use MyDrive for updates and would be essential to load .gpx files (needed to create routes for the 10CR) onto the satnav.

I used MyDrive to create a sample test "route with stopping points" last night, and it's okay but a bit longwinded.  One issue (typical with TomTom) is that the video and online instructions are not totally accurate and some of the terminology used is completely different to that actually encountered within MyDrive.

Also, whoever wrote the instructions was away from school on the day they did "Left" and Right" as there is some confusion over mouse left click when it should be right click. It's okay once you have been caught once - just follow normal left/right click protocol. It's very frustrating when you lose your work due to a wrong click though.

Adding stopping points is easy but fraught with the possibility of getting it out by miles, depending upon the current scale of the online map you are looking at. Zooming in to near max gives most accuracy, but you get "lost" easily. 

If you are used to it then fine, it wil be a piece of cake, but I won't be putting my name forward to create files for everybody....

Importing a .GPX looks to be a doddle, which you can then view (and amend if required) and sync to your satnav.

Just my 2p's worth...

• 1 month later...

Howard, (and anyone else who assisted), the .gpx files are perfect!  Many thanks.

After a good talking to, my new far-too-clever-for-me SatNav finally gave up and downloaded the files via MyDrive in an instant, and all 4 day's routes look to be exact replicas of the roadbook maps.

Top job!

Not able to download on my iMAC OS X. I keep getting sent up 'avenues' that have little to do with French travel!!

Mike, you're not a million miles from me, any chance of some help with this??

Ahh, just seen your note about not putting yourself forward etc.

Cheers

Well, that's me totally exasperated. I have managed to save the files to my 'desktop'. Managed to find on Tom Tom's 'mydrive' where you import gpx files, I search and find them but the 'choose' button doesn't highlight and so can't import.

"$$&)£%&XX@±!!!ZZXXX***&&&^$$$$$"

That's me swearing!

Quoted from sparky_spit-

I think Howard is your man....

Don,

TomTom is not my thing, but am happy to load MyDrive on my laptop & connect it up to your SatNav on Tuesday night. We are staying at the Hotel Coleurs Sud, Charvilles Mezieres.

You should have created a TomTom login so make sure you have that with you.

Cheers

H

Don

In tried to PM you, but the system doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Checking on the Net, it may be a little more complicated than I hoped so can you please check a couple of things for me?

1) Which model is your TomTom and do you know if it has Bluetooth enabled?

2) Make sure you bring your TomTom USB lead - not just the one on the cradle as it is non-standard

Cheers

Tom Tom 520 with wi-fi. It is bluetooth enabled as its used for hands free calling. Just got the one lead with a USB end that plugs into a separate socket for the car.

Will pop round to your hotel as soon as we get there or I can call you if you send your number to doncook@hotmail.co.uk