Motoring Moments

Saltddirk

here's ours:

Best drive
Uphill towards Umbrail pass and then Stelvio on an uncluttered road, no moderns, no busses, just a few bikes to let pass . The 48 hairpins going down are not bad either..
Worst Drive
First part of the Tsimmeljoch, a modern clearly out of his depth on how to corner was blocking the road, coming to a near standstill in every corner, looking ahead for traffic and then cutting across making it impossible for us to pass. We did eventually and he was not happy.
Best Soundtrack (Also listed under Boys and their toys)
Going at full blast through the “15 minute wait” La Schera tunnel, no other cars, striplights and walls flashing past for 2 miles, Tubular exhaust at full chat. And then the question, what’s the speed limit? Ooops
Weirdest Drive
That mile long half open avalanche gallery bordering the Livigno Lake. Seems there was no end to it.
Best Laugh
Passing other Triumphs on the motorway while we had donned 2 white silk scarfs I had grabbed before leaving home. We had a hard time making them flutter backwards though, seems they wanted to go forward at all times
Quickest dropping of the penny
Still wearing these silly scarfs (well they are warm and keep the draught out) we stopped for a few pictures of the gletcher / mountain leaving St Moritz when a Biker stopped and offered to take a picture of both of us. Something in his manner told us he tought us to be…. Ah well we quickly declined the offer and sped off.
Scariest moment
Losing the tail on freshly surfaced road coming out of Disentis towards the Lucomagno. Mind you Shaun did it twice more, officially qualifying as Hooligan.
Wettest moment
In a squall just after we left the Autobahn roof still down, could not practically put the roof up as the window wipers had packed in and Shaun assisted the Rain-X by manually cleaning with the wiper over the top rail. The headshaking and disbelieve of the bikers coming the other way was a close tie for funniest moment
Best Views
Without a doubt the Dolomite section of the trip. Making you wanting to buy a Dolly!

Cheerz
D

Quoted from Saltddirk
here's ours:

Best drive
Uphill towards Umbrail pass and then Stelvio on an uncluttered road, no moderns, no busses, just a few bikes to let pass . The 48 hairpins going down are not bad either..
Worst Drive
First part of the Tsimmeljoch, a modern clearly out of his depth on how to corner was blocking the road, coming to a near standstill in every corner, looking ahead for traffic and then cutting across making it impossible for us to pass. We did eventually and he was not happy.
Best Soundtrack (Also listed under Boys and their toys)
Going at full blast through the “15 minute wait” La Schera tunnel, no other cars, striplights and walls flashing past for 2 miles, Tubular exhaust at full chat. And then the question, what’s the speed limit? Ooops
Weirdest Drive
That mile long half open avalanche gallery bordering the Livigno Lake. Seems there was no end to it.
Best Laugh
Passing other Triumphs on the motorway while we had donned 2 white silk scarfs I had grabbed before leaving home. We had a hard time making them flutter backwards though, seems they wanted to go forward at all times
Quickest dropping of the penny
Still wearing these silly scarfs (well they are warm and keep the draught out) we stopped for a few pictures of the gletcher / mountain leaving St Moritz when a Biker stopped and offered to take a picture of both of us. Something in his manner told us he tought us to be…. Ah well we quickly declined the offer and sped off.
Scariest moment
Losing the tail on freshly surfaced road coming out of Disentis towards the Lucomagno. Mind you Shaun did it twice more, officially qualifying as Hooligan.
Wettest moment
In a squall just after we left the Autobahn roof still down, could not practically put the roof up as the window wipers had packed in and Shaun assisted the Rain-X by manually cleaning with the wiper over the top rail. The headshaking and disbelieve of the bikers coming the other way was a close tie for funniest moment
Best Views
Without a doubt the Dolomite section of the trip. Making you wanting to buy a Dolly!

Cheerz
D

Nice idea Dirk

Ours:-

Best drive
For me - not so sure about Roger! - the road going North West from Ortisei (I think), mile after mile of sweeping bends, without the steep gradients which suited the 2000 much better.

Worst drive
Trying to get the bl***y car to move at more than a snail's pace at every junction in Mulhouse on Wednesday evening - followed by one of the best moments when we met Chris Allen and he offered to come with us to the car and got it running much better - this was when he was understandably tired and wanted to go to bed. Sums up why I love this club and the friendliness of its members.

Best soundtrack
Following Tom Keys' TR6 and listening to the backfires on overrun!

Weirdest drive
The Italian's obsession with little orange speed cameras in every village.

Best laugh
Being accosted by Alastair and Mark in Lille on Tuesday evening just because I had a CT T-shirt on followed by a huge steak and a couple of beers while watching the locals fighting!
Also - crazy bikers!

Scariest moment
Nearly collecting a pushbike and mad cyclist on the bonnet on a hairpin, he obviously thought that he was in the Tour de France the way he took up the whole of the road.  

Wettest moment
We were in a saloon - nice and dry at all times  

Best views
Ditto - The Dolomites are incredible, we had to stop to take it in and take loads of photos which don't do them justice.

Thanks again Ellis for getting us in - the first great moment was back in May when I received the email telling me that we were off the reserve list. Here's to 2019.