things that fell off...

Saltddirk

Quoted from roger keys

An interesting theroy. I too have my other stag, not baffled did not suffer at all on the last 10CR. This stag, this time, did. Down to less than 7psi at the top of Stelvio. OK, i wasn't kind to it, but then i wasn't last time either.

I baffled it only because under heavy braking all oil pressure was lost. Ive posted elsewhere on the forum about this.

As im pulling off the cross member soon anyway, i may drop the sump and put some holes in the top face of my baffling arrangement.

I wonder if the standard sump is working as a rudimentary oil cooler as the hot oil sloshing all over the place losing heat to the cooler outer surface, when baffled the heat is being contained in a smaller area.

Has anybody be who had issues suspected to be related to the baffling also got an oil cooler?

Quoted from Nick Jones

The current engine, with less than 10k miles on it, can see idle pressures < 10psi, 45 psi @ 2000 rpm and barely 60 psi @ 3000 rpm.  The gauge and even the relief valve spring are the same actual ones as the old engine. (though I've tried several relief valve springs without much change)

(...)
The effect is (and it's been present on this engine right from the beginning) that the oil pressure falls off very quickly as the engine warms and quickly falls further if put under duress.  It's also noticeable that the oil pressure recovers (to an extent) quite quickly if you stop or even just spend some time going slowly. Presumably because the heat gets dissipated into the rest of the oil.  I've had the same results with VR1 and Millers 20/60.  The latter, which was what was in the sump for the 10CR, fared no better in spite of supposedly higher viscosity rating and is very black after just 2,500 miles.

I now have an oil temperature gauge to fit to get some actual numbers and if the theory is proven I'll either have to fit a cooler or remove the sump and revise/remove the baffling.  The latter is favourite but it's an awkward job on a Vitesse or I'd have done it already.

The better news is that the actual pressures aren't that horrific and the engine actually seems perfectly healthy even now.  

Nick

I can tell much the same story - apart from the baffling.

My engine has about 10.000 miles on it. Oilpressure is about 75 when stonecold. Then moves to 50 in 10 minutes time. When proper hot it will be around 10psi on tickover (750 rpm). Tickover gets very slow when hot.

The oil temperature is consistent 90 degrees - apart from prolonged motorway runs (without OD), then it will go to 100 degrees. When proper flogged up the alpine passes oiltemperature goes to 110-120 degrees, cools down fast when going downwards. Water temperature stays perfect cold (wide radiator).

My suspicion has been the oilpump, as this is a new repro. Engine will come out this winter to inspect shells.

Cheers
Nick

Quoted from richard w
If it was the driver's side, it nearly came off after the 2014 RBRR. I put a small cable tie round the lever that secures the wiper blade to the arm and that seemed to work ok. 3 years later it may have had enough!

Tessa's driver's side wiper arm broke on the 2006 RBRR, somewhere around Dartmoor. I temporarily fixed it with a couple of cable ties and a red butt splice (to pad out for tension on the cable ties). That fix is still in place and showing no signs of failing.

From the late 60s / early 70s the oil pumps have aluminium bodies instead of cast iron.  Aluminium expands more than the steel gears so end-float (and thus internal slippage) increases as the pump housing warms.  Therefore it is important that the basic cold end-float is low to begin with.  This is not always the case with repro pumps available today but is reasonably easy to fix by lapping the housing.  Clearance between gears can also be excessive, which is not fixable.

In my case the pump should not be the cause as the gear clearances were good (used pump, not new, the new one I bought was rubbish!) and I lapped the end float down to 0.001" @ 5ºC (was cold in my garage that day!), so unless it took some early damage from debris (and I was very careful with cleaning) I don't think the pump is to blame.

Another important factor is bearing clearances.  I used a NOS crank with VP2 shells.  The journals were at the smaller end of tolerance.  Then the crank was tuftrided (I'd not asked for this), so had to be polished.  The actual clearances (plastigauge measured) ended up in tolerance but towards the big end, which will tend to reduce oil pressure.  Don't think it's the whole story though.

Also be aware that some of the King Tri-metal bearings measure slightly smaller in thickness than VP2.  This is fine if the crank is ground towards the upper end of the tolerance band but not a good combination with the small end as would just take it out of the factory spec'd clearance.  A good machine shop would measure the shells and grind to suit.

Pronounced thread drift!  Would be better in general tech section!

Nick

Well nothing fell off.

But the annual output from a moderately sized oil state passed through it! [Apologies for anyone following us who got an unexpectedly greasy windscreen!] .  By Sunday there was also a bit being burned too! 🤔.  . Poor acceleration on Sunday was tracked down to low oil in the SU's dashpots.  I grudgingly parted with a few drops of my rapidly dwindling supply of engine oil and all was well .

So I think there will need to be some investigative surgery over winter!!

Apart from 10 litres of Halfords green stuff we did 3302km (2052m) door to door and averaged 33.7 mpg which, considering the speedometer calibration exercise I did on a quiet stretch of autobahn, ............wasn't at all bad. Engine remained very cool although engine oil temperature reached 100 degC at the top of the Stelvio.

Hmm, that's the only one I know of for sure (though reference above to one that had to be recovered after the official finish).  Surely there must be others though...... very impressive result if not!

I'd like to know how many of the PI cars managed the high passes.  Know of two that were having real problems over about 1500m.

Nick

Quoted from GT6boy
Absolutely love the mastery of understatement with the evidence for the prosecution in the posts above. No reputations were bruised in the making of this latest adventure

Well done all on another successful event and keeping the flag flying for Triumphs across Europe 🙂

LOL
To be fair the list we made while on the Autobahn are things that are not quite finished or that we got wrong during the rebuild.
The wiper motor failure has been traced to a wrong connection, when the wiper hit the parking cut out it shorted the life to earth... Why it did not do this when we tested before departure I have no idea.
This weekend I hopefully get the carbs off for a rebuild. the latest theory now is that they must have dried out and gummed up during the 5 years the car was rebuild.

All in all I am very happy with the car's performance, specially considering that the furthest she has driven in the last 5 years  prior to our departure for Lille was from our place to the wheel alignment center.

D

MOE behaved very well, the only problem was fuel vapourisation at the top and the first part of the decent at Stelvio, cutting out with power steering on the bends was not a good experience Otherwise three pints of oil over about 2000 miles, lots of petrol but overall less than last time. (Inaccuracies in mileometer/Speedo makes it difficult for accuracy) Nothing fell off, although I was worried at the beginning because if exhaust popping on the over run, but she is quite highly tuned with Wittor manifold and semi sport exhaust and then I heard lots if others doing the same  I guessed that it was ok. Nearly all way points visited but missed the Swiss club due to running late and atrocious diversions.