10CR 2017: Which car and what preparations?

Beans

With the entry list filled . .. euhm ... rather quickly and the reserve list also growing steadily, it's time for the big question:
Who's got what left to do for the next edition of the 10 Countries Run and what car will you be using ?
And if any, what car might be used as back up vehicle in case the first choice isn't ready in time, breaks down at the last minute etc.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No back up. (Only 1 Triumph in the household) So it's the Spitfire 1500 for us!
Since it's only just back on the road after a 10 month break I'll just be running it as much as possible to work the gremlins out.
I hope I get time to fit the oil cooler that I bought planning to fit for the 2015 10CR (but never had time)
If I come into some money then new shocks all round! (but probably not!)

TR4 this time which is in good health overall. Although it has a tendency to get too hot. Radiator is only 4 years old as is the water pump. I installed a manually controlled electric fan in front of the radiator which does help a lot. Maybe wiring in an automatic controller for the fan would be a good idea.  
Probably a good idea to have a thorough look at the brakes, I cannot remember ever doing anything to them. Apart from new hoses in 1995 and the master cylinder which gained new cups and a hone a couple of years later.

Three Triumph backup cars, although all need a fair amount of work for this kind of trip.

Looks like the problem isn't the rad Dion. I assume you run something like a 50/50 Ethylene Glycol/water mix year round and that you flushed the block when the coolant mix was last changed. Do you have a radiator duct fitted? This item is meant to help cooling by directing more of the air stream through the radiator matrix. However, I have never had one on my 4A in 46 years and despite this have never had an overheating problem.

Tim

The TR2 will be main vehicle, the Gt6 mk1 as a backup.
Both will have a regular checkup with the fluids, bearings, brakes, ignition.

Will try to fit a spot lamp bar on the tr2 to have some extra light at night and perhaps replace my orignal wire wheel hubs with steel wheel hubs and steel wheels.

Rest of the preps will be garnering a continental touring kit with a minimum set of tools.

I look forward to seeing the TR2 Edwin, all being well, we don't have too many concours cars in Club Triumph. It's good to have excellent headlights of course but you shouldn't need them on this 10CR, which will involve a hotel every night and no night driving - at least that's the basis on which I sold it to the wife!  Incidentally it's good to see that you are not a slave to originallty but prepared to modify the TR2 for safety.

This puts me in mind of the 1974 RBRR when the late Paul Howell - later to be owner(custodian) of OVC 276 for a time - followed me through the night from Inverness to John o' Groats in his lovely early long door TR2. It wasn't a problem since he kept a safe distance at all times and over breakfast he told me he had chosen to follow since his original 'tripod' headlights were pretty useless. I asked why he had not fitted a pair of decent halogen conversions just for the event but he told me that would not have been original! I reckon one's neck is more important.  

Tim

My first choice for the 2017 edition of the 10CR will again be my first car, which I bought back in 1988.
It's done the 10CR in various guises in 2007, 2011 (well sort of  ), 2013 and 2015 ...

Back-up car is 't Kreng (not very surprising) with the 2005 10CR edition under her belt ...

Quoted from Tim Hunt
I look forward to seeing the TR2 Edwin, all being well, we don't have too many concours cars in Club Triumph. It's good to have excellent headlights of course but you shouldn't need them on this 10CR, which will involve a hotel every night and no night driving - at least that's the basis on which I sold it to the wife!  Incidentally it's good to see that you are not a slave to originallty but prepared to modify the TR2 for safety.

This puts me in mind of the 1974 RBRR when the late Paul Howell - later to be owner(custodian) of OVC 276 for a time - followed me through the night from Inverness to John o' Groats in his lovely early long door TR2. It wasn't a problem since he kept a safe distance at all times and over breakfast he told me he had chosen to follow since his original 'tripod' headlights were pretty useless. I asked why he had not fitted a pair of decent halogen conversions just for the event but he told me that would not have been original! I reckon one's neck is more important.  

Tim

I do like detailing as much as fits in originality / safety.
Fitting extra lamps would be done just for this trip and removing it later.
i have found a set of headlamps which were original factory for cars in the netherlands with classic BPF bulbs, but for our trips abroad i replaced them with halogen Bulbs with BPF fitting, so, original with a touch of safety

Further i fitted a high torque starter, elec ignition in the original housing, a dynamator powerunit, because i like to get home

I posted it before : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOxHcc32r0

And with this one, dont forget to use your mouse/pointer to move the 360 viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAKTaPxTLw