10CR 2017: Which car and what preparations?

Beans

Quoted from timbancroft61
Only a few more jobs to do:

New discs and pads
New steering rack and TREs
Bit of paint and possibly a plate to be welded.
Tidy up and look at wiring for auxiliary extras.

2 months to go!

Roger,

Like the new Stag, hope not putting THOSE wheels on her?!

Yes and no! Only for the run. AFTER ive painted the centres black as per Daves suggestion. But only because they have really good tyres on them, the stag alloys have got some cheapo ditchfinders , not ideal up an Italian mountain pass.

Plus, being Stag wheels, they are not entirely round.

There is a long term plan on wheels, but not really affordable at he moment!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got cold feet (the opposite really) so ordered a new electric Revotec pull fan to replace the old mechanical fan. And to remove the existing elec fan which I put in front of the radiator, which was helpful but of an unknown quantity (in make and in performance).
A calculation made me think again about keeping the dynamo so going to install an alternator. Which means new mounting brackets, new pullies for the waterpump and crankshaft as I will switch to the narrow type of fan belt. I have a new alternator waiting on the shelf , so lots to do this weekend.

Been going over the Vitesse in preparation.

Engine oil and filter changed and diff oil changed.  I change the diff oil before every 10CR.

Whilst under the the car I also noticed that the fuel line was cracking badly (pic).  This was a big disappointment as the hose was new before the last 10CR and special (expensive) R9 ethanol rated hose.  No sign of actual leakage but even so.....  System runs at 3 Bar / 45psi.......

Now changed out for Cohline 2240 "biofuels rated" hose made of FPM.  I changed all 8 sections of flexi-hose in the system.

Sticking with the decaying rubbers, this was my bottom hose (pic) actually just starting to leak.  Less than 5 years old.  I hunted through my spares and tried the one I've carried on the last couple of 10CRs as a spare.  Wrong one.....  possibly 2.5PI one.... 😲  

Hunted through a box of random "modern" hoses scavenged from the scrapyard when we were making up the hose runs for the Spitfire and found one that when cut in half provided two Vitesse bottom hoses, one of which I fitted.  Probably 10 years old already but suspect it will outlast anything I buy new intended for Triumph!  I'll take the other as a spare (and I've checked it fits).

Flush out, fresh antifreeze and combined with recent heater/valve repairs the cooling system now generates and holds pressure for the first time in a while.

Nick

I will (said with confidence) be taking this Mk3 Spitfire on the 10CR.
I bought it 3 weeks ago. So far I have stripped all the brakes and fit new parts, including changing the brake servo to a duel system with a few diy brackets. Changed the head to unleaded. Rewired the headlights to relays and I am now half way through a 5 speed conversion.
I still need to:
Finish the 5 speed (ford type 9) conversion.
Install a new radiator and wire the switch.
Fit a new moulded carpet inside and the rest of the interior.
MOT and test drive.
With 3 weeks to go that shouldn't be a problem.  
Then, when I get back from the 10CR it's a full nut and bolt rebuild.

Quoted from Nick Jones
Been going over the Vitesse in preparation.

Engine oil and filter changed and diff oil changed.  I change the diff oil before every 10CR.

Whilst under the the car I also noticed that the fuel line was cracking badly (pic).  This was a big disappointment as the hose was new before the last 10CR and special (expensive) R9 ethanol rated hose.  No sign of actual leakage but even so.....  System runs at 3 Bar / 45psi.......

Now changed out for Cohline 2240 "biofuels rated" hose made of FPM.  I changed all 8 sections of flexi-hose in the system.

Thats the fake stuff.

Roger,

Its ok, but not brilliant. Had four wheel done a year ago just before the 2016 RBRR, but by having the front done using old fashioned mechanical alignment gauges on Sat, I suppose the rear is probably out of alignment.

Need to get the rears done and then set up the front, but I have no shims for the rear should the back need some for toe out. So have just ordered a few from Paddocks.

Will take the car to Feltham Tyres at Hatton Cross, they usually align my cars. Although they cannot do 13'' wheels anymore, that rules out the GT6 and the Spitfire.

These CT distance events, cost once one starts to prep the car!!!

Roger,

Its ok, but not brilliant. Had four wheel done a year ago just before the 2016 RBRR, but by having the front done using old fashioned mechanical alignment gauges on Sat, I suppose the rear is probably out of alignment.

Need to get the rears done and then set up the front, but I have no shims for the rear should the back need some for toe out.

Unless you've had a major trauma up yer back end (!) you're highly unlikely to find the rear tracking has gone out Tim. It takes one hell of a whack on a big saloon before that happens and then you would notice uneven tyre wear so I think you're safe on that one. Just get the front end done on an optical bench with the rears 'flagged up' to keep the steering wheel straight and she'll be fine.

I have finally got Maude down to the workshop and with only the new rad/Revotec blower/PAS conversion inc viscous fan/front pads/service/diff oil change to 140 'heavy'/Superflex subframe arm mounts and a few tidying up jobs to do I'm ahead of my usual schedule................

Got a speeding-ticket while testing   (at least now I know the car works )

Just MOT'ed the spitfire, and it seems ready to go. I still need to attach interior door handles, which seems to have been lost  - huh? And then connect the oil temperature gauge to the voltage stabiliser.  Oh, and the adjust headlights and re-fit chromerings.

Cheers
Nick

Quoted from Dale

Unless you've had a major trauma up yer back end (!) you're highly unlikely to find the rear tracking has gone out Tim. It takes one hell of a whack on a big saloon before that happens and then you would notice uneven tyre wear so I think you're safe on that one. Just get the front end done on an optical bench with the rears 'flagged up' to keep the steering wheel straight and she'll be fine.

Dale,

Ta for the advice....as far as I know, no rear end trauma!

Great to hear that Maude is nearly ready, ain't it great the way these cars are always evolving. BTW I enjoyed the article by Simon Goldsworthy about his Herald in Triumph World, good work Mr Barker!

Theo,

You are so correct....CT events are keeping lots of Triumph cars on the road.

I am still hearing about spannering, but it does seem that many cars are now ready. I cannot wait.

I am still hearing about spannering, but it does seem that many cars are now ready. I cannot wait.

I heard some knocking on Monday that is beyond spannering, luckily not my car......

I will be wearing my "I told you so" badge for the run, and perhaps next time he will check the spare engine before fitting it.

Roger,

Need to get the rears done and then set up the front, but I have no shims for the rear should the back need some for toe out. So have just ordered a few from Paddocks.

Will take the car to Feltham Tyres at Hatton Cross, they usually align my cars. Although they cannot do 13'' wheels anymore, that rules out the GT6 and the Spitfire.

These CT distance events, cost once one starts to prep the car!!!

If you get stuck, i might be able to do it Sunday. Got shims as well! Just done the stag.