Dress right for 10CR - selecting clothing?

Nick B.

Hi

I am taking my Spit Mk3, and are speculating - what kind of clothing should one bring?

What are the general recommendations for those who plans to attempt 10CR in an open car? With the miniscule trunk in a spitfire you cant bring it all   (especially since there need to be space for tools and spareparts....)

Duffelcoat for stelvio and shorts/t-shirt for Mulhouse?

Weather-forecast seems to indicate anything between 25C in Mulhouse and 0C at Stelvio.

Cheers

Nick

2 years ago I survived with T shirt and a thin fleece just about everywhere. Gill took her rather thicker hoody....Think a jacket may well be in order up on stelvio and the tops of the other high passes! But remember the cold doesn't feel as bad as it does on our damp island.

That was in our spitfire.... must say something with a collar to keep the back of your neck warm is pretty essential. But we found that on the autobahn "at speed" 😉 the buffeting was minimal, much worse at 60mph.

I have always thought that we should all wear clothing from the era of the cars, so shirt and tie, tweed jacket and comfortable slacks. And a Trilby to set it off.

And a set of string backs of course.

You will be fine with T-shirt and shorts during the day whatever the altitude, and a jumper hat and scarf for night driving.

Quoted from thescrapman
I have always thought that we should all wear clothing from the era of the cars, so shirt and tie, tweed jacket and comfortable slacks. And a Trilby to set it off.

Clothing from the era of the car - driving a 1970 spitfire that might not be a pleasing sight 😉

I think I will go with the T-shirt and something for the neck - Thanks

Cheers

Nick

Quoted from sparky_spit
And a big wide brimmed hat, to fend off the sunburn on the bits you missed with the sun-block.

Unfortunately it will make you look like an old lady.

Well - then the looks will go nicely with the driving style

I had planned for my flatcap - Nice firm fit, and protects the top of the head ( no comments)

Cheers

Nick

Quoted from thescrapman

Totally agree old chap except for the hat. A tweed flat cap is the correct headgear to be worn with our vehicles.

Quoted from Beans
These pictures were shot on top of the Stelvio less than two weeks after the 10CR in 2015 ...

And this is a picture of the Timmelsjoch in august 2010 ...

I wondered why the road vanished in 2015 when we were running behind schedule

Lovely input   I love the picture of the old lady 😉

Quoted from sparky_spit

There you go Nick - some old lady and her son going to Sainsburys..... 😉

Last time I were in Munich I bought a flatcap - they seemed mandatory 😀

Timmelsjoch and Stelvio looks cold in tose pics - I have just been onto the webcams, and it is a nice 12C at stelvio today. Timmelsjoch has nice weather today, but a promise of snow saturday ??

Quoted from Beans
Make sure you pack some warm clothes as high up it can be pretty cold.
These pictures were shot on top of the Stelvio less than two weeks after the 10CR in 2015 ...

And this is a picture of the Timmelsjoch in august 2010 ...

Brrrrr...

Quoted from JohnD
Surely this is the required item?

Sad to say, only available for MkIV/1500 Spitfires.
RHD to special order.

John

Aaaaah, should have thought of that one - to late now

Cheers
Nick

Quoted from JohnD
Surely this is the required item?

Sad to say, only available for MkIV/1500 Spitfires.
RHD to special order.

John

Excellent suggestion John

I see the posts here and across The Book of Face and feel not a little envious of you all girding your loins for the upcoming adventure. What with The Colonials hot-footing it across the pond and Nik whizzing down from Denmark etc- it has all the hallmarks of another great CT event 🙂
Stay safe and have a great time- keep the posts and updates coming.

Quoted from GT6boy

Excellent suggestion John

I see the posts here and across The Book of Face and feel not a little envious of you all girding your loins for the upcoming adventure. What with The Colonials hot-footing it across the pond and Nik whizzing down from Denmark etc- it has all the hallmarks of another great CT event 🙂
Stay safe and have a great time- keep the posts and updates coming.

Hi Bruce

We will try to stay safe thanks

I am preparing like mad - hopefully this will be another great CT event just like RBRR2008

Snowing in stelvio this morning 🤔
Cheers

Nick