Team shorts 10CR

tiggrr1

Quoted from sparky_spit
Not good news, but possibly not as bad news as it could have been.  Glad that you found it and hope that you get away with no serious damage done.  Certainly an eye-opener as to how an issue like that can be almost impossible to diagnose by the side of the road, and without a laptop.

I can't think what else you could have done. You would have needed at least a timing light to notice something like that.

Can you run the MS interface on a Nokia/MS smartphone or tablet?  Or is there an Android or iOS app for it? Would be very handy if there was.

(dizzy)(dizzy)(dizzy)(dizzy)
As Jame Watts apprentice.....have you checked the steam pressure relief valve??

Quoted from sparky_spit
Not good news, but possibly not as bad news as it could have been.  Glad that you found it and hope that you get away with no serious damage done.  Certainly an eye-opener as to how an issue like that can be almost impossible to diagnose by the side of the road, and without a laptop.

I can't think what else you could have done. You would have needed at least a timing light to notice something like that.

Can you run the MS interface on a Nokia/MS smartphone or tablet?  Or is there an Android or iOS app for it? Would be very handy if there was.

There are ways of running interfaces, wired or wireless from Megasquirt to tablets and even android phones (though I think the android option is monitor only).  I'm not sure about Megajolt though.

Suspect in this case there is a simple wiring problem between the EDIS and ECU or a problem with the ECU itself.  If the EDIS, crank sensor or coil pack units/wiring were defective, the car would not run at all.  As it was, it kept going, slow, thirsty and hot due to fixed 10º timing, but moving.

I'll admit that the roadside repairs possibilities are a bit trickier than points.  I'm reasonably paranoid about it and carry spare sensors, EDIS, coil pack and even MS ECU.  I've not carried a laptop since the 2009 10CR and I've only once had an engine management related stoppage since 2005 (including a RBRR, 4 x 10 CRs and a couple of HCRs) - I'd not clipped the plug onto the coil pack properly and it came adrift on a bumpy road.  Easy fix.

Ignition problems don't explain the loss of one cylinder - an ignition fault on a wasted spark system will always cost you two.  Suspect that one is mechanical, though possibly caused by running hot on retarded ignition.

Nick

• 3 months later...

Reminds me of a Ferrari I once saw in slow moving traffic with the passenger holding a folded newspaper out of the window to direct cooler air inside.  At the time I thought it funny that they must have paid many tens of thousands of pounds for that car and yet still had to resort to such stuff to keep cool.

Has Steve had the head off yet?  If so, any damage from 2000 miles stuck at 10deg BTDC?

• 2 weeks later...