Spares ...Future 10CR`s/Continental trips

Velocita Rosso

This 10 CR was quite an eventful trip for us, and I`m not embarrassed to say in any way that preventions could have been made, an experience made in many ways
We missed the organised spares list that Rob used to formulate which would give, at a glance, the availability of any certain spare in any other entrants boot.
When the half shaft snapped in Austria, we had the benefit of good friends around us to assist us in making the car safe and ready for recovery. We also had numerous spares and tools, in the form of bearings,shoes,and slave cylinders along with hub puller and three leg puller...........all available for changing bearings etc.
The only thing that we did not have on board was a short half shaft.
However waiting for recovery wich only took 30 mins, a unique Spitfire engine sound came up the valley, but before I could get to the farm gate the white Spitfire of Dave Langrick came flying past, only for me to wave at him from the rear as he disappeared aroung the next bend.
When we got to the finish at Rolduc, by alternate means, I spoke to Dave over a pint , and told him what happened
"I needed a short shaft and could have repaired it there and then" I said
" I had a short shaft on board "said Dave
You could imagine my disappointment

If I had an entrant list with spares on board as usual ,we would have been back on the road in a couple of hours
Now you could say , why didn`t I have a short shaft  myself?
That was basically down to the fact that we maintain the car reglarly and are all over it looking for problems, and the last thing I would have thought would have gone wrong was this breakage.

But a spares list is a fine idea that should be re introduced as an aid to members and avoid recovery for such a simple job    

Quoted from michael
thats why everbody had a list of main entrants car type and telephone number,maybe you were not  at drivers the drivers meeting or did not look at paperwork regards michael

You know I was at the drivers meeting and I check paperwork more than some....What I an saying is the printed spares list was better as you knew who to ring at the drop of a hat. rather than trying to get hold of entrants and wasting phone money ...some of which took different routes...to ask if they had a certain spare.
No one is de crying how the organisation was conducted , only stating which was a better solution
As for Dave with his `special` I had it im ny mind that he would have long shafts
The whole situation is irrelevant anyway as there were only two other Spits in the event in comparison to the Big 6`s

When I had my little problem I did use the entrants list and rang Dale because I knew he was running a MK2 2000.

Unlikely that anyone would be carrying a radiator mind you but worth trying.

The thing is though, Mike is right in that the option I had was to ring everyone on the entry list who was in a 2000/2500.

We would need someone to take on the task though of compiling such a list

There was less chat on here before the event though than in previous years and I can't recall the spares list coming up. Maybe we have all become a bit blase'

In fairness Mike, even if you had a spare short shaft (ooer!) you would have still had a fair bit of fun to fit it. You either need to carry two fully built shafts (The brake backplates are handed even if it doesn't have the vertical link on it which is too but can easily be swapped) or you have to swap the bearing/trunnion housing, brakes & hub over from the old shaft (will you have a hub puller too?) or carry all these with you not assembled onto the shaft and 2 backplates then build it all up into a shaft assy including torquing the hub nut up to 110 -115 lb/ft (in a vice?) 'on the fly' at the side of the road.

Having twice had a driveshaft snap on me on an event I have thought it through and unless there are a number of you with the same length shafts on small chassis cars to share out the bits between you it just becomes untenable as the car would be so full of spares you wouldn't have room for all your other stuff and let's face it, with the smaller cars weight is always at a premium, unlike the big saloons and other IRS cars which all have the same outer hub unit anyway with only the male splined portion (ooer again!) of the shaft being different so you carry one of each of those plus a UJ (which we did - sorry Tony didn't see you/hear of your problem until too late) with ease.

People either need to get together in small groups before the event, which a number of people did, and share out tools/spares between them according to car type or else someone else needs to volunteer to take on the job of running the spares list for everyone - I reckon Rob was a Saint!

Quoted from Dale
In fairness Mike, even if you had a spare short shaft (ooer!) you would have still had a fair bit of fun to fit it. You either need to carry two fully built shafts (The brake backplates are handed even if it doesn't have the vertical link on it which is too but can easily be swapped)

Mike Banks and Mike Bishop both carry (sometimes) a multi-purpose rear shaft that can be fitted to both sides.

I do indeed have a short shaft with a uni-sex backplate and hub flange already fitted.  This has an elongated slot that allowed some degree of handbrake operation with a reversed slave cylinder/handbrake lever pivot. Apologies for all the double entendre....

However, it was not in the car this time as I had a cull of spares before this last event based upon the likelihood of me actually changing something roadside.  The spare  shaft didn't make the cut as I just couldn't see myself getting underneath that far and getting that dirty to try and do the job with the jack and tools that I carry.

On Colin's point about not wishing to help out others; I don't think that is always generally the case, most people seem happy to help where they can.  But I must admit that when you have driven a long way, are behind the schedule, tired, busting for the next stop for a splash and dash or coffee/food, it could be very tempting to fail to notice a phone call and possibly have to turn back or wait around for several hours. There's also the thought that if you give somebody your spare dizzy cap, what do you then do if your's breaks?  I know this sounds callous and uncaring, but thought processes are possibly changed by tiredness and circumstance?

Quoted from michael
thats why everbody had a list of main entrants car type and telephone number,maybe you were not  at drivers the drivers meeting or did not look at paperwork regards michael

A bit harsh there Mike?? I did not take part this year but even I know Mike was at the drivers meetings.

The spares list used to work very well and saved phoning 10 or more people to get an idea if they had a spacific spare part. It used to Be a lot of messing but was worth it (IMHO). I was very surprised that no one volunteered to take over the compilation of the list when I stepped down from compiling them.

Sorry to hear they are not a current part of ct events.

Rob

Quoted from sparky_spit
a short shaft with a uni-sex backplate and hub flange already fitted.  This has an elongated slot that allowed some degree of handbrake operation with a reversed slave cylinder/handbrake lever pivot.

and don't forget the second handbrake spring braket welded to the back-plate

Quoted from thescrapman
Robs spares lists died as hardly anyone was willing to share information on what they were carrying.

I wonder if this was because it might have meant having to stop and help, or worse go back on themselves.

Who knows.

Cheers

Colin

Colin, I gave up the task as it took a lot of time and I moved job and home and am finishing the build of my new home and did not have the spare time. I still managed 90+ cars on the last list I did which is a lot of useful info. Again I was sorry it died, I plan to re start them when I get my own house in order (excuse the pun)

Ps , Dale , Mike Carries a hub puller on these events.

Rob

Quote Rob:

The spares list used to work very well and saved phoning 10 or more people to get an idea if they had a spacific spare part. It used to Be a lot of messing but was worth it (IMHO). I was very surprised that no one volunteered to take over the compilation of the list when I stepped down from compiling them.

Sorry to hear they are not a current part of ct events.

Rob

I offered to run the spares list on the RBRR when Rob stopped but it was decided by the organizers not to run a list.

Having had the same failure as VR in Cornwall in 2012, i got a phone call asking if i had a spare shaft on board for another Herald,if i did i would have been fitting it to my car.
Steve

perhaps what participants need to do in the future is to look through the entry list and find similar cars to their own. Contact these owners and make a spares list specific to the the car they will be driving. It would be little bit hard on the early TR and Renown drivers but to be honest and although I participated in the spares list there was very rarely a part I could use that I was not carrying myself.

Organizing it this way would be more efficient and no one person would have to try and encourage 90 odd teams to hand in a list of spares.

Remember the 10CR is not an all in, organized run with a sweeper van and trained mechanics following but a challenge to the entrant, their team and their car to get round and back safely. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

AndyF

Quoted from Steve P

I offered to run the spares list on the RBRR when Rob stopped but it was decided by the organizers not to run a list.

Steve

If I really wanted to run a spares list I don't see how the organisers of a run would be able to stop me, after all we are members of Club Triumph not a totalitarian state.

AndyF

Quoted from Dale
In fairness Mike, even if you had a spare short shaft (ooer!) you would have still had a fair bit of fun to fit it. You either need to carry two fully built shafts (The brake backplates are handed even if it doesn't have the vertical link on it which is too but can easily be swapped) or you have to swap the bearing/trunnion housing, brakes & hub over from the old shaft (will you have a hub puller too?) or carry all these with you not assembled onto the shaft and 2 backplates then build it all up into a shaft assy including torquing the hub nut up to 110 -115 lb/ft (in a vice?) 'on the fly' at the side of the road.

Having twice had a driveshaft snap on me on an event I have thought it through and unless there are a number of you with the same length shafts on small chassis cars to share out the bits between you it just becomes untenable as the car would be so full of spares you wouldn't have room for all your other stuff and let's face it, with the smaller cars weight is always at a premium, unlike the big saloons and other IRS cars which all have the same outer hub unit anyway with only the male splined portion (ooer again!) of the shaft being different so you carry one of each of those plus a UJ (which we did - sorry Tony didn't see you/hear of your problem until too late) with ease.

People either need to get together in small groups before the event, which a number of people did, and share out tools/spares between them according to car type or else someone else needs to volunteer to take on the job of running the spares list for everyone - I reckon Rob was a Saint!

Hi Dale

Just to clarify
I had a hub puller,three leg puller,circlip pilers, spare UJs, spare wheel bearings,spare brake shoes (for the damaged to be changed aswell) and all the neccessary tools that would have completed the job...even a tractor in the farm yard to lift the back end up
So it would have been a  two hour job, no need to remove brake lines as there is enough brake line to be able to manouvere the back plate assembly over the shaft
As I said i missed dave Langrick by seconds......who had a short shaft....but I thought his was long
I`ve done this many times and it can be done by the side of the road or tractor with eye opening Austrian coffee(  I still have the taste now from that morning)
My fault entirely for not taking a shaft but you have this attitude sometimes that you think ....that` l be alright
We eventually did the route ...as a true Yorkshireman, not being done out of fees and ferry tickets or hotels

I found the spares list a great way to pool the information for all, I did used to run the rule that if you reply with your spares you get a list, you don't reply you don't get one, lol.
I found some people used to run hybrid vehicles and as such used to have spares for different cars onboard.

Shame the club don't promote the list on its events.

I missed out this year due to ongoing commitments , I intend to visit Europe next year where a tailored individual run will be enjoyed.

Rob

Such a difficult topic.

My view of Spares Lists is that they have their use, but that crews where possible should be self sufficient. As Mike Banks has stated to turn around can be a real issue for some, cars/crews can be spread out over a 100 mile range. Therefore it is best for crews to take their own spares where possible.

That is not great for cars that have swing spring suspension-Spits 4 - 1500, all Heralds, Vitesse 6, mk1 and GT6 mk1, late mk3-where driveshaft failure in recent times has started to happen. But as Dale states, will one really want to change one on a RBRR in the middle of a dark night on the A9 in the Highlands? In that instance, maybe time to retire? Maybe, feasible at a 10CR overnight stop?

Alternators/Dynamos, water pumps, fuel pumps, wheel bearings(!), can all be carried, even in Spits or worse still GT6s-one learns how to pack spares in those cars! Some say that cost of buying what are effectively spare parts makes this difficult, but what would be the cost-£150.00?

Small parts should always be carried.

The RBRR team has always sent out 'Advice Notes' and that document gives a good listing of parts to take, but I have always felt that not many read them. Shame as complied by very experienced long distance event CT people: Dale Barker, Andy Roberts, Andy Pearce, Dave Pearson, Dave Langrick and all.

I can see Martin's point about being blase, but I am not so sure. Dave Langrick needed an alternator on the Monday at Rolduc, he had one as he found a spare one to take before the event and chucked it into the boot. The spare parts list would not have been any use as everyone had left to get their ferry and I doubt if people would have returned to help, as correctly worried about getting home so as to be able to work the next day.

My stance, is that I want to be self sufficient on an event, therefore will take all the parts I feel necessary. However, I will be more than happy to give out parts to anyone who needs them. Surely this is the right attitude?

I know what it is like to retire from a RBRR and do not trivially type these words, but sometimes, one has to know when to retire.

Tend to agree with Tim
Couple of key points-if your worried or suspect a part replace it before the start and get some test miles on it to prove..at least 500 to 600 miles..then you don't have to carry a spare!

Plan ahead..none of us have much time..so start prep now for the 2016 event  ..aim to have the car in event "trim" 2 months before the start and use it..a lot!

(ref cost -Put a fiver a week away in a "shed fund" to help cover spares/prep/fuel ..soon builds up over the year)

Links here to prep notes etc here...              http://ctrbrr.blogspot.co.uk/p/preperation-some-notes-and-ideas.html

I have employed the "Rotational Theory" of spares packing over the past few events.

If it rotates, take it.

So have packed Alternator, water pump, Front wheel bearings, rear drive shaft (2000/TR), distributor, metering unit (well seals and valves), fuel pump etc etc.

Then any small bits like plugs, leads, hoses, clips, wire, etc.

I have a "touring" box for the 2000, which went Round Britain last year and 2 years earlier, and after a swap from long back to short driveshaft, went round Europe in someone elses boot this year.

Cheers

Colin