Watch out for the Froggie Rozzers this year!

cook1e

Fines are stupidly high in France. Always hurtling through Calais 3 or 4 times  year we recently decided we'd give Calais a chance and booked a hotel in Calais for a more leisurely start in the morning. We parked up, had a nice lunch, visited the Town Hall and headed for our hotel. It was closed so we thought we'd park up and wait. No parking spaces to be found and I can't go much more than 100 yards because of a crook knee, so we parked in a disabled bay by our closed hotel. A short while later two gendarmes, both packing guns, gave me a ticket. Sarah speaks excellent French and explained that I was due an operation in a few weeks and you don't get a disabled permit for that. I even showed the cops my crutches but they kindly stole €136 from me. And...when we went to the hotel, they had double booked us and we had to go elsewhere.

Calais, you had your chance!

8009 wrote:
Fines are stupidly high in France. Always hurtling through Calais 3 or 4 times  year we recently decided we'd give Calais a chance and booked a hotel in Calais for a more leisurely start in the morning. We parked up, had a nice lunch, visited the Town Hall and headed for our hotel. It was closed so we thought we'd park up and wait. No parking spaces to be found and I can't go much more than 100 yards because of a crook knee, so we parked in a disabled bay by our closed hotel. A short while later two gendarmes, both packing guns, gave me a ticket. Sarah speaks excellent French and explained that I was due an operation in a few weeks and you don't get a disabled permit for that. I even showed the cops my crutches but they kindly stole €136 from me. And...when we went to the hotel, they had double booked us and we had to go elsewhere.

Calais, you had your chance!

Those French hotel receptionists really are the pits.... :)

• 2 weeks later...