Breakdown/insurance /recovery

Velocita Rosso

lagerzok wrote:

http://www.triumphexperience.com/phorum/read.php?8,918474,page=1

Worth reading this from over the pond

Excellent discussion about diffs. Its good as I want to understand why it failed.
One of the interesting parts is that the oil is critical and the diff has a tendency to overheat (not enough volume of oil in the housing).
Looking at mine the oil is very discoloured  and doesnt feel very slippery. Also the remains of the teeth show signs of over heating. You can see clearly how the teeth have fractured and failed.
In my case the diff started to make a noise late on the thursday (whinning) and got worse thru the night and next day. It was a long days driving with little time for things to cool down. So I think that the oil was starting to fail and then the diff overheated, oil got worse and the teeth broke. End of diff.
The lesson is probably to change the oil in the diff at least every year. Mine was full with EP80 GL4 oil but in future I think I will suck it out and change it yearly. Or add a drain plug to the casing.

regards
mike

Mike
When you dismantled was there still a considerable amount of oil left in the casing?
Just wondered if you had somehow `dumped` some before the whining started
When filling, I generally tilt the car over to allow more to go in
If there is any excess and it blows back through the split pin breather then I know its well full.................and it protects the underside of the car ( :) )

michael_charlton wrote:
Mike
When you dismantled was there still a considerable amount of oil left in the casing?
Just wondered if you had somehow `dumped` some before the whining started
When filling, I generally tilt the car over to allow more to go in
If there is any excess and it blows back through the split pin breather then I know its well full.................and it protects the underside of the car ( :) )

yes plenty of oil but not in good condition. No sign of any leaking, dont know if any had been pumped out of the breather, will have a look. Will remember to tilt the car next time I fill it :)

cheers
mike

• 2 weeks later...

Do the bearings feel sloppy and worn?

Because the wine is usually a sign of incorrect back lash, so if for example the pinion bearing was failing, then it would create too much back,lash and whine!

Therefore setting the teeth in the wrong place and placing too much stress on them, causing it to overheat!

Always a good idea to place a filler plug while the diff is out!

• 2 weeks later...

4058 wrote:
Do the bearings feel sloppy and worn?

Because the wine is usually a sign of incorrect back lash, so if for example the pinion bearing was failing, then it would create too much back,lash and whine!

Therefore setting the teeth in the wrong place and placing too much stress on them, causing it to overheat!

Always a good idea to place a filler plug while the diff is out!

No sign of any backlash, all feels tight.

I am afraid the GT6 has gone to a new home (with 12 other cars), mixed feeling but I dont think it liked me :) Libby is not happy but I have started to look for a new Triumph to keep the Herald company... anyone selling a good TR6 let me know.

cheers
mike

mpbarrett wrote:

I have started to look for a new Triumph to keep the Herald company... anyone selling a good TR6 let me know.

Mike, there's 3 at Anglia Car Auctions on Saturday.

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic-auctions/saturday-9th-november.aspx

I'm probably going up for a look.

Russell.

RussellBanyard wrote:

Mike, there's 3 at Anglia Car Auctions on Saturday.

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic-auctions/saturday-9th-november.aspx

I'm probably going up for a look.

Russell.

I think the Felixstowe hoover was thinking of going. He has storage now, so the patio is available again.... :-)

thescrapman wrote:
I had heard that the GT6 had a new home.

Depending on how quickly you want/need a TR6, I know of 2or3 for sale.

He has 5 at the moment, a few too many.

Just started to look, surprised at how much the pirces have gone up since I last looked. But have found some funds and have started to look. I would be interested in the ones you know about (send me a PM).
cheers
mike