Ten CR and insurance cover

Prior to the start of the 2015 10CR, please check your car insurance cover for the small print
Ensure, even by rechecking verbally, that in the event of any unfortunate circumstance of breakdown requiring recovery and repatriation,that your insurance covers every aspect, that of yourselves and car
Your insurance should ideally cover the cost of you and one co driver`s repatriation costs and the cost of all ferry charges in the repatriation of your vehicle.
There has been some element of doubt that a vehicles insurance does not cover any ferry charges incurred in getting a vehicle back to the UK shores.
Having checked my own cover ,with a well known reputable company, I am confident that my own cover is satisfactory  

Having to use your insurance is the prof of what is covered.  I have been told if the cost of recovery back to the UK is more than the insured value, you will not get any cost above that.  Also check if a rental is covered to finish and return home.

Goody wrote:
Having to use your insurance is the prof of what is covered.  I have been told if the cost of recovery back to the UK is more than the insured value, you will not get any cost above that.  Also check if a rental is covered to finish and return home.

This is exactly what I`m saying Bill, each individual should check/re check what their individual benefits are on their own insurance company..........and where essential, renegotiate better terms
Having driven on the continent since 1967 , invaluable knowledge has been gained and I ensure all the `i`s` are crossed etc to make sure I don`t get stranded
You can guarantee that out of 65+ cars on the 10CR there will be numerous different insurance companies being used and all or most having different interpretations of recompense benefits.  

• 2 weeks later...

I did some digging on this last year and found there are a few of the big companies that cover you for the recovery of your pride and joy but don't also cover the cost of your hire vehicle (which can run into the hundreds) As Mike says CHECK VERBALLY with your insurer and if you are NOT covered consider a change of companies as my mate found out 300+ quid later is more than he pays in his insurance.

Rob