Dover, Dunkirk or Calais?

Before  advising of the pricing structures has anyone any preferences?.
However there are the following factors to consider
a. cheaper to Dunkirk
b. nearer to the outbound auto route
c. last time,2013, major road works between Calais and Dunkirk
d. hold ups relating the return journey,with migrants and extensive security
This will not be a protracted poll as we want to make the arrangements with the relative ferry company

MikeyB wrote:
Don't get me wrong - Dunkirk makes good sense and will be my choice - however to give a balanced view, the crossing is around 30 mins longer than Dover Calais, and the food/facilities on the boat relatively basic...

As at today the road/lane closures are still in operation between Calais and Dunkirk as they were in 2013.....not improved in two years
You would lose the 30 minutes on that road anyway
Food ...with the fare difference......buy some food to take on board `Quid pro quo`

GT6_Don wrote:
I have emailed Andy. DFDS are currently offering a "voucher code" via VoucherCodes.co.uk that reduces the crossing to £62.40. Not sure how long the code lasts for but its E15EBO.

I am in contact with the company to investigate the terms and conditions, which may only cover a number of vouchers/slots etc
The agent is now talking to DFDS to clarify their position and investigate the terms and conditions
Hopefully today, we may have a solution /result to benefit us

The added bonus on utilising an agent is, ...if anyone cannot make the reserved ticket time on the day of departure, once contacted they will get amended tickets for us .
The days of having a ticket and turning up late and being allowed onto the next available ferry have gone.
If you miss the allotted time and cannot get a modified booking , you will not be allowed to travel without buying another ticket
Stricter security situations are now being adopted
Its being brought into line with airlines......miss your  `Flybywire Airline` to foreign climes  and you have to buy another ticket. Seems sensible

ALL

As promised I have had a call from the agent Team Coordin8 within the last few minutes re the `Voucher offer`

Team Co ordin8 have spoken to two senior parties at DFDS and have had extensive conversations over the issue of prices offered to CT Vs the Voucher system
It looks as though we have a `win win` situation for both CT and Team Co Ordin8

Re negotiations are now taking place with DFDS to :
"Better Team Co Ordin8 `s terms with DFDS"
"To re offer pricing structures to Team Co Ordin8"
"Re offer ferry prices to CT for our required dates"

According to the Team Co Ordin8 management, "we should by Tuesday have prices offered, lower than that advertised on the voucher system

So, please do not try and make any bookings yet........you may pay over the odds    

michael_charlton wrote:

Stricter security situations are now being adopted
Its being brought into line with airlines......miss your  `Flybywire Airline` to foreign climes  and you have to buy another ticket. Seems sensible

Sounds like BS to me - sensible doesn't come into it - it's another cynical way to screw more money out of the customer!

But agree, well done Mike for pushing this, and well done done for spotting this and sharing the info in the first place.

This is a great example how  of the benefits of communicating via the forum can work to the advantage of all.

We'll definitely go with the 2PM ferry if that's what we have to do.

But - if we turned up earlier do you think we could get on an earlier ferry? This has always worked for me in the past but maybe the deal is for just this fixed time.

12PM ferry would be my preference giving us more time in Aachen to settle in and put the towels on the loungers by the pool  8)

^^ good point. 2 pm ferry gets into france 5pm local time. 3 1/2 hr drive approx means arrive 8.30.
All a bit tricky, but we only have a 2 hr drive to Dover. Maybe we could leave/book an earlier ferry on the "deal" but not clear atm. Will wait for what pops up from those hard-working organisers.