Dover, Dunkirk or Calais?

.All

I have written an article for the magazine to make things clear, however as we may have to get on with making reservations I will scribe on here by Tuesday what the procedure will be.
The main part of the advice will be......"you must cross on the reserved ticket time"...."if you miss or can`t make the reserved time you must advise the agent and they will advise DFDS who will issue a new ticket" ...THIS IS DOWN TO NEW SECURITY ARRANGEMENTS
Once we/Team Co Ordin8 have received the first block bookings of 25.....the discount parameter..then if the odd one or two want to book on earlier or later sailings then this can be done
However it would be nice if we all made the same ferry

NOTE;.....some ferries prior to 14.00 and after 14.00 are already full..................yes its only January

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BOOK PRIOR TO TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY AS YOU WILL NOT BE GIVEN THE NEWLY DISCOUNTED RATE

PS IF ANYONE WANTS ANY DEEPER CLARIFICATION PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME BY EMAIL  OR 07788911742
SEEING AS THE NEGOTIATIONS HAVE PRACTICALLY FINISHED I HAVE MORE TIME TO ANSER QUESTIONS    

cliftyhanger wrote:
^^ good point. 2 pm ferry gets into france 5pm local time. 3 1/2 hr drive approx means arrive 8.30.
All a bit tricky, but we only have a 2 hr drive to Dover. Maybe we could leave/book an earlier ferry on the "deal" but not clear atm. Will wait for what pops up from those hard-working organisers.

Clive.....should only take 2.5 hours    non  stop..

michael_charlton wrote:

Clive.....should only take 2.5 hours    non  stop..

According to Google 2 Hours 50 and the route goes aaround the Brussells equivalent of the M25 so you can probably add a bit to that for Traffic Jams. 3 1/2 hours sounds most likely.

OOps, think I may have been going from Calais. So yep, a tuch under 3 hours, 302km. There seems to be a route that kicks north avoiding brussels but adding no distance (well, 1km, and 1 minute) with looks handy. (a14 at Ghent, the a13 back down to rejoin the original route)

cook1e wrote:

According to Google 2 Hours 50 and the route goes aaround the Brussells equivalent of the M25 so you can probably add a bit to that for Traffic Jams. 3 1/2 hours sounds most likely.

After I had my new tyres fitted in Kerkrade after 2011 run, I put my foot down to catch up with everyone stood on the docks awaiting the gale to drop,and it took me just short of 2.5 hrs......mind you I was shoving Porsches out of the way ;D ;D ;D

even on a 2.5hr estimate, and assuming you will be off the boat on the dot of 5pm, for me a 7.30pm arrival in aachen is still too late!

Realistically by the time the boat docks, opens it doors and you are on the way, it will be 5.30 - 6pm before you drive.

I can appreciate the desire for a later crossing for those that have distance to cover in the UK, however for myself living relatively close to the channel ports would be preferable, giving us a leisurely drive the other side and a stress free unhurried evening.  Hence the hope for flexibility of the deal.

MikeyB wrote:

I can appreciate the desire for a later crossing for those that have distance to cover in the UK, however for myself living relatively close to the channel ports would be preferable, l.

This is what I am saying to others.....the timing is:
a.beneficial to those who would be travelling from various parts like Yorks/Notts and The west Country
b. because some of the other times are booked up/full

Four or more hours travelling for some in the UK, to check in at around 1pm and starting in rush hour traffic(work day) is still a pain
Not only that some are not going straight to Aachen or the start on the Wednesday but may be staying overnight  in  locations prior to there or taking it casual to Aachen or wherever and having a meal on the way and straight to bed on arrival.

Some may not arrive till gone midnight due to working hours back home.