• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have moved from maps to using a Garmin Nuvi satnav (full European Maps) with their free BaseCamp software on my PC.  Using BaseCamp takes some learning, but the level of detail is amazing with even the smallest road shown on full zoom. I entered the Control Point Lat/Long then dragged and dropped the route to exactly match the road book while using Google maps (satellite view) to make sure that it is correct. (The hardest part is getting the PC to talk to the SatNav, but that is another issue)

A map is essential as a back up in case something goes wrong and we need to take an unplanned detour, but otherwise the navigator sits back and enjoys the view

PS: The Nuvi includes free map updates, so will remain accurate for a number of 10 Country Rallies.

PPS I like to look at my old map books showing the routes we have driven & I have done something similar with this. I printed out the map showing each day's route & filed it with the road book.

Quoted from Tim Hunt
It's not a bad idea to make a note on each page of the roadbook which pages of your map(s) cover that particular roadbook page. This enable you quickly to find where you are in  my experience. saves allot of stickers/page markers.

Tim

Been doing that for a few years, road book page to map page, hi viz stickers on map pages `from page - to page`
Also transposed the road book yellow squares onto map book in yellow circles.
If `any one ` falls asleep I will know where I am at a glance(ticking off way points)....If I fall asleep then....at least my co driver will know where we are   

Quoted from Howard
I have moved from maps to using a Garmin Nuvi satnav (full European Maps) with their free BaseCamp software on my PC.  Using BaseCamp takes some learning, but the level of detail is amazing with even the smallest road shown on full zoom. I entered the Control Point Lat/Long then dragged and dropped the route to exactly match the road book while using Google maps (satellite view) to make sure that it is correct. (The hardest part is getting the PC to talk to the SatNav, but that is another issue)

A map is essential as a back up in case something goes wrong and we need to take an unplanned detour, but otherwise the navigator sits back and enjoys the view

PS: The Nuvi includes free map updates, so will remain accurate for a number of 10 Country Rallies.

PPS I like to look at my old map books showing the routes we have driven & I have done something similar with this. I printed out the map showing each day's route & filed it with the road book.

Can i ask how you are getting that level of detail on base camp? Mine foesn't have the smaller roads on it. Have you upgraded to birds eye? Or the google maps option (though how you make that work is one of many mysteries of Garmin related products)

Quoted from roger keys

Can i ask how you are getting that level of detail on base camp?
Mine foesn't have the smaller roads on it. Have you upgraded to birds eye? Or the google maps option (though how you make that work is one of many mysteries of Garmin related products)

Base Camp is very good but most certainly lacking a good manual.

To start with it depends on which maps you have loaded. The basic map set only shows the major routes and cities so you have to upload the maps from your satnav. Once that is done you can access all the details and more importantly you can save them on the PC so you don't need your satnav plugged all the time.

Also there is a box on the menu bar which allows you to select the resolution you want. To see everything you need to select "high" but not a good when zoomed out to see the whole of Europe

When I was plotting the route I had both BaseCamp and Google maps (on Firefox) open so I could switch between them. I am not aware of any method of linking them directly, but I haven't looked. It was possible to enter the start co-ordinates in google birds eye view and to actually see that it was a large public car park so I knew it was correct.

Hope that helps, but if you need any more help, we can chat at during the rally (Red TR7)

Howard

Quoted from Howard

Base Camp is very good but most certainly lacking a good manual.

To start with it depends on which maps you have loaded. The basic map set only shows the major routes and cities so you have to upload the maps from your satnav. Once that is done you can access all the details and more importantly you can save them on the PC so you don't need your satnav plugged all the time.

Also there is a box on the menu bar which allows you to select the resolution you want. To see everything you need to select "high" but not a good when zoomed out to see the whole of Europe

When I was plotting the route I had both BaseCamp and Google maps (on Firefox) open so I could switch between them. I am not aware of any method of linking them directly, but I haven't looked. It was possible to enter the start co-ordinates in google birds eye view and to actually see that it was a large public car park so I knew it was correct.

Hope that helps, but if you need any more help, we can chat at during the rally (Red TR7)

Howard

Thanks Howard, most useful. Didn't realise i could pull the maps from the sat nav!! I think Garmin want to rival Apple for the most useless instructions.

Sadly, due to the cars incessant unreliability, ive only got from now to wednesday morning to do anything, and ive got 2 14 hour days of work between now and then.

Ive done a few checks of the nav file that Andy sent out, and it seems to take you the right way, but i cant check it all. But between this and a physical map with roads missing(!) hopefully i'll get round. Im more worried about the car than getting lost.