How are you getting prepared?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine thanks Mike, luck was on my side,-managed to exit the autobahn and into a police station car park.My  fire extinguisher didnt work but the attentive police used one they had to  hand. Fire was localised to alternator and engine bay wiring, the car should live again,
    cheers,
      Laurence

6780 wrote:
Fine thanks Mike, luck was on my side,-managed to exit the autobahn and into a police station car park.My  fire extinguisher didnt work but the attentive police used one they had to  hand. Fire was localised to alternator and engine bay wiring, the car should live again,
    cheers,
      Laurence

Good, pleased......Hmm ...leave it there, work on it ...and save the ferry charge for Ten CR ;) (sorry Yorkshire cost saving comes to mind)

I am still waiting to hear what the recovery arrangements will be.., all being well they will deliver it back in 1 piece to Torquay, but a plan b to have the car sorted in Holland might be an option,
    cheers,
       Laurence

6780 wrote:
I am still waiting to hear what the recovery arrangements will be.., all being well they will deliver it back in 1 piece to Torquay, but a plan b to have the car sorted in Holland might be an option,
    cheers,
       Laurence

If it was me , I would do that
There are three or four good members worth of aid over there
Borrowing equipment that can be returned in September should be no problem
A temporary wire to the dash light and a direct feed to the starter solenoid with replacement alternator would be all that is required.................other than that a 2/3 week wait before the car was home

My alternator fried my battery on a motorway in Belgium...back in 2002. I was collected and taken to a garage at about 6pm and they had a new battery and alternator fitted by 9am the next morning. Footman James paid for everything other than the parts and labour, even an extra night in a hotel and extra for the ferry. No idea where it happened but we found a bar that night that sold home-brew wheat beer. What a night!

GT6_Don wrote:
My alternator fried my battery on a motorway in Belgium...back in 2002. I was collected and taken to a garage at about 6pm and they had a new battery and alternator fitted by 9am the next morning. Footman James paid for everything other than the parts and labour, even an extra night in a hotel and extra for the ferry. No idea where it happened but we found a bar that night that sold home-brew wheat beer. What a night!

Was that the alternator that packed up in 2009??

• 4 weeks later...

The Mk1 is now back in sunny Torquay :), its taken longer than i expected ,but Easter was a delaying factor. Car seems cleaner than when i left it in Germany, certainly no damage in transit, tomorrow the damage can be properly assessed, will update accodingly,
     cheers,
         Laurence

Matt,
   The 5 limped back home from Pompey on the sunday and will be going in for an assessment tomorrow, i suspect burnt exhaust valve but i'm not complaining after eight years and 45k miles of hard use,-the 5 will be back!.
  Tim,
   An engine bay rewire and a few electrical upgrades should do the trick with the Mk1. Your car runs well and felt more than capable of doing 10'CR as is!, still plenty of time to deal with details ;),
    cheers,
     L