How are you getting prepared?

Tim,
   The bumperless look on a Mk1 works well, imo. The bumpers are good for v slow speed nudges but probably cause more problems than they solve in  harder shunts. A few photos attached to help your decision,
    cheers,
        L

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm another one in the sans bumpers club  ;)

My car is currently away getting the front valance and nearside sill put back to Saffron, after doing the RBRR in grey primer. Also got the diff back in – looks like the majority of the slop in the drivetrain is due to worn driveshafts, so I've sourced a set of uprated, Rilsan coated versions from EJ Ward. Looking forward to getting the car back and doing a few miles running up to the 10CR :)

Matt

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the Mk1 is back and looking as good as ever.
The engine bay wiring was largely replaced and tidied up generally together with a new alternator. The consensus opinion confirms a failure of the alternator that caused the fire. The car would have been toast, according to the auto electrician, without the battery cut-off switch being activated .
  The engine bay still looks a bit rough and probably needs a repaint etc, probably a winter project in the meantime i will be making sure everything is good to go for the 10'CR. Attached photo gives an idea of the state of play,
     cheers,
          Laurence

michael_charlton wrote:
Well, the engines in with new bearings,reground c/shaft and all re sealed/gasketed and ready for the ancillaries to go on tomorrow
.......and away we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCs8ufxnnYA

Test drive today...incorporating a piece of string for the choke cable as the existing decided to frey in the liner and affecting tuning.
Other little niggles need attending to ......but the `new engine sounds good due to Philip`s hard work. I spent more time trying to see through worn out specs!

Dale has begun work on DollyRoo.  Don't know how much he has done yet.  Maby he will post progress at some point.  I am just sitting back and letting him do what he does and not pestering him.  I have has some serious health issues that I will explain in a post elsewhere.  I am recovering nicely and the doctors say I will be in good shape for the trip and run. All is looking good.

michael_charlton wrote:
New choke cable fitted , test drive done and the `new` engine is perfect.

Marvellous ;)

For me I am completing a service (low oil levels inthe gearbox and diff - oops :B) and will then be moving on to replacing the rear sprins, shocks and suspension bushes

• 2 weeks later...

Quoted from Raider

Marvellous

For me I am completing a service (low oil levels inthe gearbox and diff - oops ) and will then be moving on to replacing the rear sprins, shocks and suspension bushes

Setting fire to the car ...for an insurance claim....?

Well after the total engine regrind,fitting shells/big ends ,new cam/followers ,Ramtech filter,retune , rebuild,...and road test, ..its raring to go.
One or two events first after engine flush and fill with good 20/60 and Borg/Beck filter    

Raider wrote:

Marvellous ;)

For me I am completing a service (low oil levels inthe gearbox and diff - oops :B) and will then be moving on to replacing the rear sprins, shocks and suspension bushes

Setting fire to the car ...for an insurance claim....?

Well after the total engine regrind,fitting shells/big ends ,new cam/followers ,Ramtech filter,retune , rebuild,...and road test, ..its raring to go.
One or two events first after engine flush and fill with good 20/60 and Borg/Beck filter    

• 3 weeks later...

Well , not getting many events under the bonnet this year...
Every time we go out something happens
Over the last three years no real mechanical upsets...this year ...pah
Went to Southport and came back with what we thought was faulty diff problems
Turned out to be a mixture of a few things.....the September issue will show what the diff problem was and the side issues
However evrything will be back together in the next two days and then.......ready to run ...again

Well , not getting many events under the bonnet this year...
Every time we go out something happens
Over the last three years no real mechanical upsets...this year ...pah
Went to Southport and came back with what we thought was faulty diff problems
Turned out to be a mixture of a few things.....the September issue will show what the diff problem was and the side issues
However evrything will be back together in the next two days and then.......ready to run ...again