Trieste Opicina Virtuale 2020

Tim Hunt

Anyone with access to the Internet and familiarity with Google Maps is welcome to have a go at this virtual rally based in the Trieste area, which will run from 11-14 May with answers required by 15th.

Full details and entry form can be obtained from the following link. I am promised that route instructions will be translated into English for our benefit!

In the current lockdown I cannot get enough of this type of event. Whilst they will never replace the real thing free entry and no accommodation or fuel costs are attractive and Street View can simulate the driving experience very well, even allowing one to track the vanishing point round bends!

Tim

http://clubdeiventiallora.org/96-club/597-trieste-opicina-historic-virtuale-2021.html

That's great Dirk, good luck! I hope a few other CT members will be tempted to have a go as well. It looks like it will be quite a while before we can all enjoy the real thing again.

In the mean time stay safe.

All the best,

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

congratulations!

I did not fare too well, but then have not be able to give it the time it deserved, you on the other hand did very well!

It was however a fun event and very well run. Could be used as an example if we will be deprived for much longer.

How the heck did you find out the answer as to which shop was at the entry of the city? I did try to read names with street view but never saw the answer!

Thanks for pointing it out, makes me want to visit the region again.

Cheerz

D

Sorry Dirk, I only just saw your post. You didn't need street view actually, if you blow up Google Maps and check around 1km before the end of the last day's route Mirella Clothing Shop is the only one shown, so I thought that had to be it. Thanks for your kind comment but I was not very happy with my performance. I did enjoy the exercise though and it made me want to visit the area and see all the sights for real. Maybe one day we can go that way on the 10CR. I was actually responsible for this event. In April the Caledonian Classic & Historic Motor Sport Club, with which CT used to co-promote the La Carrera Caledonia and more recently the International Autoecosse announced a virtual la Carrera in their newsletter. I posted details on our Forum but couldn't generate any enthusiasm. I was given permission to forward details to a friend of mine in Trieste and he circulated details to his motor club (Dei Venti D'Allora) resulting in five entries from Italy, one of whom, Achille Tresoldi had the nerve to match my score for a share of 2nd place!! He was inspired to create the Trieste Opicina Virtuale and the format and organisation followed very closely the Scottish event, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Best regards and stay safe,

Tim