Entry List - Whose Driving What etc

Jonny-Jimbo

It was a fantastic day. The courses were lovely and flowing meaning all the cars could manoeuvre them (Cheers Nigel!). The surface was smooth so tyres didn't get too chewed up, and plenty of opportunity to be a bit of a hooligan! 

Please, can we go to Curborough again? And soon.... 

(Really, if anybody is unsure about what it is like, just have a go. Everybody has a huge grin on their faces after they have driven)

That was the first Autosolo that I have done, where I have not driven and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, timing the cars. It was great fun, everybody's driving got better and better as the day went on.

Most of the cars looked superb, one or two being very competitive: Matt Helm's Spitfire and Clive Senior's superb Spitfire.

I will be entering next time with the rejuvenated GT6.

I must echo Clive's comments, Curborough is an excellent venue for such an event.

Hope we see a few of the old hands out next time: Paul Hughes, The Foremans, Mike Bishop, Colin Wake, The Charltons, Joe Welling, Dave Pearson etc etc

Many congrats to Matt Helm for winning again, what a driver.

Quoted from timbancroft61-

That was the first Autosolo that I have done, where I have not driven and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, timing the cars. It was great fun, everybody's driving got better and better as the day went on.

Most of the cars looked superb, one or two being very competitive: Matt Helm's Spitfire and Clive Senior's superb Spitfire.

I will be entering next time with the rejuvenated GT6.

I must echo Clive's comments, Curborough is an excellent venue for such an event.

Hope we see a few of the old hands out next time: Paul Hughes, The Foremans, Mike Bishop, Colin Wake, The Charltons, Joe Welling, Dave Pearson etc etc

Many congrats to Matt Helm for winning again, what a driver.

With.....Velocita, rising out of The Blue Lagoon (still a bit of red loitering)

Sorry I couldn't make it in the end for the Autosolo, I was looking forward to it, and so was AJ. If the organisers didn't mention non-attendees, I found out that my AX had a very bad fuel leak on my way home from work on Friday when I filled it up with £45 of finest Shell Optimax... only to find that most of that then spread itself over a 10 mile stretch of tarmac.

I was at a family event on Saturday, so had no time to fix it before the event. I was using it at my daily driver, so really needed to get it fixed. Turned out the filler neck flexi had perished.

If I'd have time to do a bit of a service I would have brought the Volvo, but it may also have been a bit too big for threading the needle. Excellent at shredding tyres though with a 2.3L Turbo engine...

Shame you couldn't make it Jon, it was a cracking day. Found out that my car goes sideways quite well!

740? Is that still rear wheel drive?

Our V70 is front wheel drive and has a turning circle only slightly larger than a supertanker! Though plenty quick enough (185 bhp) don't think it would have made the tight turns. Handbrake is pretty rubbish too so that wouldn't have helped much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, good to know the 2000 is a bit more fun now it's not so automatic!

Yeah, the 700 series was the last chassis to be RWD I think (The 900 series came later, but is the same chassis... the S80 might have been RWD too actually)... in any case, yes, it's RWD.

As you suggest, it doesn't have the best turning circle, but it's not terrible. Main issue is the steering rack is slower ratio than one may expect, so you have occasional moments of panic when arriving at a corner and finding you need to make more of an input than anticipated. Being a very old turbo motor it also takes a long time to spool up to full boost, so going round traffic islands and long corners sometimes results in a 'boost induced handling imbalance'... ie, sudden wheel spin and oversteer!

Oh, it also has a side mounted exhaust, so it's really loud and sometimes spits flame on the overrun :D

My neighbours must love it :D