What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

GT6: Rebuild the gear change mechanism and try to lower the rear end of the gearbox in an (vain) attempt to reduce the vibration that occurs at 70mph.

TR6: Fit fibreglass spoiler and start to initiate the repair of the hardtop I bought last year. 

2.5 Saloon: Its being repaired at the moment...so nothing for me. When back, though it needs an engine rebuild.

27 minutes ago, mikeyb said:

I can only dream of pottering around in the garage

Likewise I’m about to hammer-tack a few thousand staples into some roofing membrane. 

However IF that goes well, I might be spending some time trying to open a completely seized passenger door lock on the GT6. I’m thinking door card off and a poke around. Hopefully something some lube and a clean can fix. 

And if THAT goes well, need to get my indicators working so I can quasi-legally drive the thing around the block 🙌

GT6 - Rolling road session booked on the 13th, this should see the HS6's set up correctly. Jobs coming up include converting to M12 wheelstuds, I will then fit renovated US Slot Mags to replace current Wolfrace mags, at the same time I intend fitting vented discs (thanks Tim Ward for machining them). New loom due from Autosparks at some time so rewire coming. Some interior trim needs sorting, carpets & seats mainly.

TR6 - My AFR gauge was reading a constant 19.9, turned out to be the O2 sensor had gone bad, it had a fairly lengthy loom attached and I think it got a bit too hot, I have fitted a 14.7 supplied one, it has a shorter loom so hopefully I'll avoid a recurrence, this is my 3rd sensor though, I guess they are consumables. Rewire effectively complete, goal of neatening up EFI wiring not completely successful as fitting Fuel pressure gauge & AFR gauge into console has created a new "rats nest" Also, additional fusebox positioning blocking N/S Demister hose from being fitted, more thought required there. Otherwise, the car's a blast to drive.

My Vitesse,not a lot really,need to rebush the front suspension.Herald,new 1500 is in and done 500 miles,have to rebuild front and rear suspension and do the CV conersion i have on the shelf.

Steve

Edited by Steve P

My spitfir egearbox is back from BGH, now fitted to the car using a mondeo clutch slave cylinder (the not inexpensive setup from Rally Design was leaking after 5k, and it uses O rings as the hydraulic seals, to me that is doomed) and working while up o stands. 

Engine fired up, to reveal an oi leak. From the oil pressure switch, which looks like it has been there from the factory. It wasn't even finger tight, but this is the first indication of a leak. A quick removal/clean PTFE tape and refit, all is well.

New temp senders on order as both are looking poorly with bent/damaged terminals. 

Then it needs a front wheel bearing nipping up a smidge, and an MoT. Trackday as Castle Coombe is about 5 weeks away, so plenty of time. He says....

GT6 - I had fitted Koni dampers & 450lb springs, this lowered the car nicely and transformed the handling, unfortunately the front tyres were fouling on the wheel arch lip. I ordered some spacers from Canley's, long story short I had to order thinner spacers and fitted them today, car is now sitting a bit higher and the contact has stopped.

TR6 - Replacement loom has returned from Autosparks having been repaired after it suffered some chafing on installation, this was as a result of a couple of the cable runs being too short, these have also been extended as part of the repair. I can't face pulling the loom for a third time just yet, will wait until the weather improves and I can spend a whole day on it.

Need to try out my new injector cleaning machine.  Also need to give the Vitesse suspension and brakes a good going over before Castle Coombe.

Then there is the R160 Subaru diff fitting kit I've just taken delivery of..... question is, which car gets it.....?

Nick

Edited by Nick Jones

Life has a habit of getting in the way of my plans but ....

I need to get an mot on the spitfire. 
I know I need to readjust the handbrake since putting the driveshafts back on. 
I also need to give it a once over and get it booked in.... trouble is I also need some decent weather as there’s no room in the garage to do it. This is a constant problem since we moved. It’s also the reason the herald is still in storage awaiting further work. 

4555BC8E-988F-4859-AB46-730B967F81BE.jpeg

BD698884-3BBB-42EC-874C-D5619614C2AD.jpeg

Thought I should list the work that is being done to my Saloon:

New OSF wing

Repairs to OSR wheelarch

Repairs to NSR wheelarch

Repairs to all door areas, alloy skins were fitted back in 2006 and the joints need some making good

NS A post rotten, no sign of corrosion going downwards..thankfully!

New NSF wing

Localised repairs to nose.

Repairs to both ends of front valance

The big one: Full roof replacement. Bought a secondhand roof this will replace the current unit. Back in 2007, the previous repairer, rolled a steel panel to cover the Webasto sunroof hole, this panel was glued in place. Sadly as the sills were not structurally that brilliant, these seams have cracked and let in water, rusted through, therefore no option than this very drastic repair!

All works are being undertaken by James Godfrey Dunne, a CT member who has just started up his own repair service after 8 years with Jaguar Heritage. Thankfully, the corrosion is not as bad as feared.

Once these works are finished, the car is off to be painted.

Then, its time for a rebuilt engine, which my old friend Lee Newman will undertake, machining by Classic and Modern Engine Services in Bracknell.

Spitfire started and after a few hours went for a quick spin round the block, MoT booked for 8am tomorrow.

Sadly teh temp sender that is for the gauge is rubbish. Ignition on, but before the engine started, it read 1/4. Within 2 mins of starting, it was at full scale.  I bodged a repair on the old sender, and swapped it back. Checked te new one and it had about half the resistance it should have been at 80degrees, hopeless.

A permanent solution is being considered.....

Assuming it passes, it will need the H frame and glove boxes  refitting. And then an oil change... should then be ready for CC.  

MoT passed. Usual comment about front wheel bearings, they seem difficult to educate.... seems he also spotted a little play in the steering rack balljoints, that will keep me busy for a few hours when it is warmer.

Just need to replace te H frame and carpets, pop the stereo back in, fill with fuel. Oh, and that oil change.

SofS has a new engine, and it's a cracker!    2.6L, my usual Pi, flowed head, extractor manifold etc, but also a high-lift long-duration cam shaft, a very lightweight flywheel and paddle clutch, have made it much less driveable on the road.    We will see on track!

But not just yet, because thanks to MotorsportUK's slavish following of FIA regs for safety gear, I need new harness and fire extinguisher!     As well as being twice as big as the old one, this requires eight spray nozzles, four for the engine and four for me!   Fitting it now.

The harness is easy, if expensive, it just clips in, but I now have a six point harness in excellent condition for sale!    Not for track use, but suitable for sprint or hill climbs, or of course the ultimate bling for your sporting Triumph!

Edited by JohnD

On 09/04/2021 at 17:02, iani said:

I ordered some spacers from Canley's, long story short I had to order thinner spacers and fitted them today

What's the long story Ian?! I bought the thicker spring spacers from Canleys but the 3 holes didn't quite line up the studs on the spring top plate. After I'd drilled out the holes, I then realised the spacers were slightly too thick for the top plate studs anyway! Not enough stud showing to get the nyloc nuts on.

27 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

What's the long story Ian?! I bought the thicker spring spacers from Canleys but the 3 holes didn't quite line up the studs on the spring top plate. After I'd drilled out the holes, I then realised the spacers were slightly too thick for the top plate studs anyway! Not enough stud showing to get the nyloc nuts on.

Ok, Canley used to have the top plates made to original spec', the guy doing this retired last year and Canley started sourcing from Bastuck. Because most people want the shiny look of the Bastuck plates all the suppliers seem to sell them, unfortunately their mounting studs are shorter than the originals were, that is why the spacers won't fit. The original thinner size of spacer fits fine on the Bastuck plates, the studs might need straightening slightly to line up with the holes but I didn't have any problem getting them on.

Well the TR6 is for sale.

The Vitesse, which I agreed with Mrs C I would not touch until the TR6 is sold, is sat in its PJs looking intriguing. I've got lots of fettling to do on that one, including

• Rebuild the fuel system - from tank to pump to metering unit
  • Get a new battery and check the wiring before connection
  • Oil change - engine, gearbox and diff
  • Probably need to rebuild both brake masters as the pedal goes to the floor and stays there, it's a Tilton pedal box with twin Girling masters I think
  • Will change clutch hydraulic fluids too
  • Start the engine and give it a proper check - there's a strong suspicion the camshaft's got worn lobes due to over string valve springs 
  • Then, after all that, there's the stuff needed to actually drive it - like tyres 🙂

Blimey. Not so sure I want to post here, it reads as a horror story just now!!

R2000 - aka "The Red Shed" - currently with Chic Doig getting a full body job done. Not sure what is being done as of yet, but Chic no has pretty much every MK1 panel Lloyd has made, plus a few additional panels that are also required. Chic has had this since Jan last year, Covid kinda got in the way and he has also this year moved from his garage/shop of many years up to Perth, so kinda on tenterhooks as to how much work has actually been done as of yet. Got an engine and gearbox to rebuild, EFI to design/fit, new wiring loom to install, and all (fingers very tightly crossed) aiming to be done by next 10CR!

Herald Estate - only custodian of this one, is a Team Torpedo entrant. Got an OD gearbox to fit, I rebuilt the box last time home but the cold winter of Scotland put me off from fitting it!

2 X Heralds, 1 convertible and 1 saloon. Both need major resto, thinking to make one of them a "fun" car for hillclimbs etc. Long term projects however!

1 X GT6 (chassis + logbook) - Veeeeeerrrrrrrrry long term project.

Ohh, and horrors above, MGBGT! Needs a lick of paint, a quick mechanical once over and will be selling this one on again. I only bought it because it was local, and v. cheap just before the last lockdown started.

So basically, the only running classic I have isn't even mine 😆 

Phil

My Spitfire is being low-loaded to a mate's next week for some remedial work and an MOT after over a year off the road - cheers covid. Luckily a friend has just bought a garage down the road, so I'm going to rent that off him to store the Spit in once it's functional again, and can finally enjoy it in Wales! 

Hi all, Olaf has had new boots, a PAS rack and I’ve just invested in a gallon of Lanoguard for the underside .

The Flying  Log is now back with me and will be getting a bit of attention. So far he has had a full service and replacement bits and bobs . New petrol tank is on the way . Aftermarket exhaust has been adjusted and is no longer fouling the body but it’s a dreadful fit . Only one company making a kit these days so I may have to go bespoke or at least get it tweaked a bit . Gearbox mounting was hanging out due to loose and missing bolts so it’s all been tweaked back up. Oh and lots of cleaning . 

I have been building my Spitfire from scratch with my Dads help since last June. About 80% done now and desperately waiting for new wiring loom from Autosparks before we can fit out the interior. 

Back at school now so I only weekends to do the work but aiming to get car finished by the end of June in time for the Summer

3E4F0D24-50FD-4D13-8F18-86BA7DB5CEAE.jpeg

ED51917B-D2DC-425B-B6D6-7B987CEAC9CA.jpeg

F7A672E2-C7F2-410F-B911-59C1AC1C0C7A.jpeg

• Like 1

Been busy myself changing  a few bits on my 2000mk1.  Now a 2500 with efi, not the usual pi conversion route, am using motorbike throttle bodies (Triumph). Have got it all fitted  now and it starts and runs. Just need to dial in the tuning over the coming weeks 

20210401_132913.jpg

• Like 1

The Spitfire's finally had its wing top finishers fitted, a bit of plumbing and the distributor lubricated (the mechanical advance was sticking full on which made it impossible to start). Should be OK now, I hope.

The GT6 is having the seats refurbished because the driver's one had a broken frame (and both were desperately in need of new foams and covers anyway).

The Vitesse has now had three wheel arches rebuilt, now needs a new valance and the lights re-fitted. Also, a replacement headlight surround for the one I had to grind the screws out of.

• Like 1