What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

Today I replaced the rear bearings on the TR7 and changed the rear cylinders to the earlier 4 speed/TR8 type which are considered better.

The Wheel bearings hadnt lasted long at all, but i managed to source some Timkin Bearings so hopefully these will last longer.

• Like 1

Replace the reversing light switch - a few months back I was told that the reversing lights were flickering whenever I changed gear, so finally got around to removing the access cover  to sort out the problem. Aside from the insulation on the wires having cracked leaving exposed copper just ready to create a short circuit, the pin on the switch was stuck, but have managed to track down a NOS replacement on Ebay which should be here later this week. 

• Like 1

I picked up "Bitter Lemon" in Belgium last week. It's a Californian Spec 1500. Not sure of the year ....

I spent over 4 hour trying to get the ugly front under (over?) riders off but apparently the bolts have broken of on the inside as they just spin and nothing changes.... I will try to cut the bolts off soon...

Even though I told the guy about 3 times I don't need the engine he left it in... So if anyone needs Californian/US 1500 parts let me know! They are yours for 1€ plus shipping (I live in Germany...)!

Edited by DVD3500
  • Like 1

Spent some time on the front suspension on my Saloon: Replaced the boots for all for ball joints using Chris Witors polyurethane items, fitted a new set of progressive front springs and stripped and painted the inside of the wings with Bondaprimer and Gravitex.

Next up, some underfloor rust!

• Like 1

I've had a couple of weeks on gardening leave so:

GT6  - Fitted new auntosparks loom, this included fitting a modern 10 way fusebox. Have also fitted ambient temp & vacuum gauges, I'm having a four gauge centre dash section made and will relocate the gauges there when it arrives. Replaced the headlining, it's not perfect but I feel confident I'll do a better job next time. Fitted moulded carpet set, it's certainly moulded but I'm not entirely sure what vehicle it's moulded for, more trimming that I'd have expected at the price. Refitted radiator mounting brackets that the PO had removed, welded on seatbelt strengthening plates as they were loose, fitted new seatbelts. 

TR6 - I thought I'd best spread the love a bit so the TR got ball-jointed lever arm drop links & handbrake improvers, I've also got a pair of ally hubs & new stub axles to fit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iani said:

Fitted moulded carpet set, it's certainly moulded but I'm not entirely sure what vehicle it's moulded for, more trimming that I'd have expected at the price.

This is interesting, i've been idly wondering about getting a moulded set for the Spitfire. They all come from Newton Commercial don't they?

I started to attack some leaks & crust around the rear hatch today: 

B2817175-42FB-4D32-AAB9-5E8A64B8711F.jpeg.ca8949452229c4f9063a5cc7638fcee7.jpeg

Took the opportunity to remove the filler cap etc to clean up. Absolutely caked in crud!

C0229F1E-5DD7-4FFD-86EF-8B094E5CA938.jpeg.b366417c234700ae3a40e01797bce145.jpeg

Annoyingly ran out of time to finish the job, so now it’s all cleaned and rust neutralised (as best it can be for now) I’ve covered it with this really REALLY useful masking sheet roll from Toolstation. Only found out about this product a couple weeks ago, wish I’d known about it years ago!

736D0449-3F77-47D7-AA13-95D47707B733.jpeg.d9332f686a1a935ebcac1068b538d193.jpeg

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.5c1b3da04850806609d3df874dd9558f.png

I just fitted new foams and covers to the mk3 seats in my GT6 mk1 - treating a bit of rust on the frames and repainting them along the way. Very happy with how they've turned out. I'm going to recover the padded thing below the handbrake next. Then I think I'll need to do something to my steering wheel. I don't like everything looking new and shiny in my old car, but it's getting quite rough. Any tips? And is it leather? I'm pretty sure it's the original mk1 wheel, but have heard talk of them just looking like leather. Too many miles away for me to pop back for a closer look now!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baxter said:

And is it leather? I'm pretty sure it's the original mk1 wheel, but have heard talk of them just looking like leather.

I'm not certain but the Vitesse wheel I have in my Mk3 Spitfire is peeling badly at one point and the loose flap certainly feels like leather.

5 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Those seats look GREAT @Baxter

Thanks @yorkshire_spam
Nice to share and get comments. My first attempt at seats and I had to backtrack a couple of times, following the helpful advice from Owen at Park Lane: take time to get it right and be rewarded each time you sit in the car. I showed a friend who was very impressed by my upholstery skills; so I explained the nature of the foams and covers and am now told it's about the same expertise as putting a jumper on!

6 minutes ago, Baxter said:

Thanks @yorkshire_spam
Nice to share and get comments. My first attempt at seats and I had to backtrack a couple of times, following the helpful advice from Owen at Park Lane: take time to get it right and be rewarded each time you sit in the car. I showed a friend who was very impressed by my upholstery skills; so I explained the nature of the foams and covers and am now told it's about the same expertise as putting a jumper on!

Owen is a gentleman and produces great product. I have his foams in my seats, but wish I could have bought the covers at the same time. (Couldn't afford it)

On 13/08/2021 at 16:02, PeteStupps said:

This is interesting, i've been idly wondering about getting a moulded set for the Spitfire. They all come from Newton Commercial don't they?

I believe so Pete, I wouldn't say they're great quality for the price.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Oliver, Owen does a recovering kit for the armrest, involves a placcy bag!

Thanks Tim (thought I replied last night but now see it not) - I will look into that kit, but not for a while as I've been spending a lot of time and money on both cars lately. I wanted to let you know that I'm borrowing some MGF seats for the Vitesse for RBRR. I'll get on to sorting steel bars to fix them just as soon as I've got the engine back in. Sump now pancake flat so hope to do that on Sunday.

Have a few new items of work to do to my Saloon to get it ready for the RBRR:

New Steering rack

Re-build struts including new inserts

Fit Stag brakes

All needs to be done before the RBRR and time is limited, so going to take the car to my ate James Cooper's place for him to do for me.

Otherwise the car is good.

image.png