What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

2 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

when will we see the car in the flesh so to speak?

Not sure really, but I am back to regularly tinkering with it, 15 mins here, 45 mins there, so might have it driving around within a couple months (just in time for the road salting 😂)

51 minutes ago, Baxter said:

Will be keen to have a closer look at yours

Aye it's tricky cus there's no point trying to do it mathematically given the slight differences in the frame shape and panels etc, so I basically drew around the old ones where possible (most had disintegrated), and transferred my reckoning and measurements to the board too, and took it slow, shaving off a little here/there as needed. Also discovered that 6mm ply can be cut with a Stanley knife which is useful for the little recesses and when taking off a millimetre along a whole edge etc. 

On 14/09/2021 at 19:27, yorkshire_spam said:

Bit of a drive today... 

Halifax to John O'Groats via Carter Bar, Edinburgh Airport, Skiach Services. No prizes for guessing what inspired the route. Tomorrow another day of driving down to Stirling. 

Your a few weeks early😆

On 14/09/2021 at 19:27, yorkshire_spam said:

Bit of a drive today... 

Halifax to John O'Groats via Carter Bar, Edinburgh Airport, Skiach Services. No prizes for guessing what inspired the route. Tomorrow another day of driving down to Stirling. 

Hope you're going to recce the rest of the route too Sam 😁

1 hour ago, richard w said:

Hope you're going to recce the rest of the route too Sam 😁

I'm afraid I don't know what this years route will be... not taking part and no prior knowledge... but I suspect a significant overlap between the last 2.5 days driving and what is going to happen on the RBRR

2 hours ago, Howard said:

Clearly planning to be the very first at every control point 😃

Not EVERY control point...

3 hours ago, Rubce said:

Your a few weeks early😆

Or very very late?

We drove the "top bit" of the 2014 RBRR route, Carter Bar, Edinburgh Airport, Skiach Services, John O'Groats, Conon Bridge, Morrison's Garage Stirling, Tebay services and then turned for home down the A65.

Taken yesterday morning:

DSC_2757.thumb.JPG.855dca7c0365d6556635dfa476b81752.JPG

4 hours ago, RobPearce said:

Yep. Gearbox mounts too. Any recommendations for a J-type OD mount for a Spitfire that will last more than just the RBRR? 🤔

I must have got really lucky with mine, I got it from MEV in 2013 when I converted to an OD and since then the Spitfire has done 1xRBRR, 2x10CR and a few other events and European trips and it still seems ok. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Replaced all the front end standard bushing to Poly, new dampers and drop links. Dropped the anti freeze & flushed, while drained I also upgraded the 3 way adapter and banjo bolt to stainless steel.

Just ordered new dampers for the rear and a cylinder head gasket set for a job during the wet/snowy days ahead.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Earlier this year I fitted a late Spitfire steering column (well my mate John did most of it). Gone is the stupid ignition switch location, and gone is the dreadful windscreen washer switch. I now have decent stalks with everything to hand. I had to retain the Spitfire steering wheel until a leather replacement can be found. One of the best mods I've done to her.

thumbnail_20211026_161350.jpg

• Like 1