What have you done recently or are planning to do soon to your Triumph?

Tim Bancroft

5 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

What next?

Possibly that engine being transferred to the GT6 and the not-quite-well GT6 engine growing another 500ccs and ending up in the Vitesse (back in the Vitesse in fact as that’s where is been for most of the last 35 years).  

As this scheme would involve EFI for the GT6 and all that entails…. I may just lie down until the feeling goes away……

Finally bit the bullet and changed the oil seal on the Dolomite diff - the leakage has reached the stage where it can't be ignored. It took me longer to get the sodding split pin out than to do the rest of the job! Either it's a really tight fit by design or somebody in the past has fitted a pin that's slightly too big!

• 1 month later...

This thread has gone quiet.

So my news:

TR6: The engine is out and with James Cooper in Bournemouth. Just waiting for some final machining and then the engine will be back with me.

GT6: Rear lower trunnion bolts look like they have seized, so will be stripping that down asap. Fitting a 'new' spring that I have had for 20 years! Just MOT'd the car car at my fave MOT garage. Also, will check over the rear brakes as balance not quite correct.

2.5: Need to fit some trim and and prepare for TR Reg track day for late March.

Not done any real driving with the cars as roads have been saturated in road salt...still the recent rain is now helping, so hoping to use the Saloon next weekend.

• Like 1

Dolomite 1850: All welding done (I think!!) so next weekend will be fillerwork to sort the joins etc and a bit of shallow dent fixing. Tat will be followed by prep and a bit of paint, planning a full paint job in a years time.

Then it needs to have the subframe bushes replaced as the current ones are looking worse for wear, or at least splitting. I suspect they were changed a few years ago with the poor quality rubber ones being sold, but I have a set of Superflex to be fitted. 

That'll keep me busy fora while....

Oh, and I need to investigate a noise at teh back of my yellow spit. I suspect a shock bush, but need to have a proper look and prod with the "big bar"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that worries me with that fan mounting is the air that escapes from the gap between fan and rad rather than passing through the core. A lot of installations use a seal plate across the complete rad which look like they'll reduce the airflow but must be worth it....

20 minutes ago, glang said:

The only thing that worries me with that fan mounting is the air that escapes from the gap between fan and rad rather than passing through the core. A lot of installations use a seal plate across the complete rad which look like they'll reduce the airflow but must be worth it....

I'll see how it performs vs having the fan mounted directly against the core. My ultimate aim is to have a proper shroud and mount the fan about an inch further back. I'm considering vac-forming or fibre-glass with a metal frame. I don't have the time at the moment... too many projects!

• 4 months later...

All gone quiet again, here is my news:

GT6: New old spring in and whilst the car seems to ride slightly better, the handling is not as sharp (like I can tell the difference). Probably calling out for an alignment check. Otherwise, sling away the old Yoko 185/60s and stick another set of Uniroyal 175/70 rain experts and also get the sunroof re-covered.

TR6: New engine fitted and now run in, very revvy and super smooth. Need to sort out the mixture as slightly too rich at present. Next job, is too fit a new sytec fuel pump kit.....that sounds like it will be a barrel of laughs!

2.5Pi (SU): Electrical problems, as ever the wiring to the starter motor is being fried by the proximity of the tubular exhaust manifold, therefore all nice and brittle. So a re-wire down there is needed. Thinking it is time to fit a new loom as the existing original jobbie is past its best. Prob buy from Autosparks and have some additions for relays to protect some circuits. The engine is starting to use oil, so will do this job when the lump is out...after the 10CR!

On both the Saloon (J Type) and the TR6 (A Type), the overdrive is well, lethargic. GT6 overdrive (again J Type) is superb, very sharp and can be used as intended. So thinking some work will be needed on these....!

I just get worn out thinking about working on these old cars!

Dolomite. Respray not going well. Got topcoat on, but it won't polish to a shine with G3. Best guess is poor paint. Just had some fresh 2k delivered from jawel, who have been good previously. (Iffy stuff came from elsewhere) 

On the plus side, I have bought some good interior trim that came from a car dismantled in the 80s, so is all good. Just missing one sill carpet.

Spitfire. Think I yace found tbe source on an annoying clonk. Diff front mount is very close to the chassis bracket, plus the poly bushes are in poor shape. New ones just arrived, will fit sometime this month, plus adjust the mounting plate. Methinks mig and grinder will be involved. 

Red spit. Still in the lockup, I presume. Must make an effort to sell it..

3 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

All gone quiet again,

I was going to post something on here a few weeks back but couldn't find it, so thanks Tim for the bump.

Recently I have finished rebuilding the passenger seat of the GT6 (I'd done the back before the RBRR and used it in the Spitfire with the Spitfire's base, but now I've built up the proper base for it). I'm a little reluctant to do the driver's side base (the last part of the full seat refurb) because it's actually in good nick, unlike any of the rest were, so I'd sort of prefer to find a grotty one to build up and pass the good-but-not-new one to someone else.

I've also been modifying a Herald 13/60 fibreglass front valance so that it actually fits the Vitesse. That's about ready to fit now but I'm trying to sort out some electrical niggles with the sidelights before I do so. Then it needs a clean and some new door trim panels, and it'll be ready for an MOT.

The Spitfire had a flaky overdrive switch which was annoying on the RBRR and the C2C, so I replaced that the other week. Unfortunately it's in a mood now and has developed rough running, occasional loss of engine oil pressure, and a sluggish/intermittent overdrive that feels like low gearbox oil. Grrr...

Trying to get ready for the 10CR...

New manifold for inlet pressure measurement.

Electric fan fitted at the front of the rad, changed the diff from 3:89 to 3:63, must be age but was a real struggle doing it without a pit. Have changed diffs before but this one difficult... 

Found some play in one of the UJ so that's been replaced, slight cracking in a fuel hose so will be changed once the fuel level in the tank has gone down. Exhaust bracket broke and has been replaced. So lots of extra jobs but I expected that...

Couldn't reattach the offside handbrake cable without adjusting it. Don't understand why it was fine before changing the diff...

This was a good opportunity to check over the rear end, need new tyres, rain masters, and some rear shoes.

Hard top on (hood has shrunk, and header rail seems bent. I had ordered a new softtop in May and it's only just arrived). Have fitted a Landover sunroof into the hardtop...

MVIMG_20220724_195407.jpg

MVIMG_20220724_195356.jpg

MVIMG_20220724_120632.jpg

GT6:

I recently spent a very informative day with Tony Lindsey-Dean where we worked on my short lived 2.5 motor. Analysis suggests that the block hadn't been cleaned thoroughly prior to assembly, the shells showed scoring, one cam lobe was damaged, all pistons showed damage ring lands and/or broken springs, the Nural pistons the engineering works told me had been fitted were AE pistons, oh, and the tappets showed some odd wear marks. Three of the pistons showed head damage, that was my fault for not having uprated the DCOEs on fitting TLDs head prior to fitting one of his heads, the previous head having suffered a breach in No2 combustion chamber.

Luckily Tony had a reground crank and a replacement cam & set of followers available, we spent a lot of time making sure that the block and all components were clean, a lot of time as Tony is very thorough. Unfortunately we had to call a halt after 11hrs, stopping with the short motor built, I then had to get home. I have subsequently refitted the cam followers & head, today will see me refit flywheel & clutch and hopefully get it back in the car.

Once the engine is in I will turn the car round and replace the O/S/F suspension assembly, I have already fitted powder coated turret, trunnionless VL & adjustable arms to the N/S/F. I have 34mm chokes to fit to my DCOEs, along with larger jets. Final job will be to fit my newly retrimmed leather seats.

TR6:

I washed it recently, poor car isn't seeing much use of late, I am coming to the conclusion that it might be time to move it on, I have taken it as far as I want to: Emerald K6 ECU, Jenvey Heritage TBs, MX5 seats, 15x7 Minilites

2.5 PI Saloon

My latest acquisition, back to "big Triumph" ownership after 25+ years and I love it.  The car has been rebuilt to a high standard by Neil Spencer, it is in very original spec' with only the 14" Stag wheels & trims & a semi-sports exhaust system being visible mods. So far I have changed the cigarette lighter to a working one, otherwise turn the key and drive. Be careful when buying lighters for older cars, ours use 1" (25mm) diameter lighters, most replacements are 27mm, I'd rather not open the hole out so made sure I bought the right size.

Ian

Edited by iani
  • Like 2

Finally stripped the front nearside front suspension on my Herald which i believe to have never been off since 1968.Wishbone bushes seized to the bolts and had to be sawn off.

Waiting for a few parts to start the rebuild but have refitted powder coated wishbones and Canleys trunnionless uprights, and 4 pot calipers.

Steve