Fuel Filter

Guppy916

I bought car about 8 years ago and replaced the filter about five years ago (as I had one once collapse and leak fuel on a motorbike). Both filters had similar levels showing.

The one that's still on it was £1 from Screwfix at the time. Never shown any dirt, should I be happy or sad?🙃.

Wonder what those metal/glass types that you clean out, are like (about £7)      

1 hour ago, glang said:

Youve got me worried now as my filter was really, really cheap from Eurocarparts and now Im wondering if its not filtering anything🤪

1 hour ago, Dave Clasper said:

The one that's still on it was £1 from Screwfix at the time. Never shown any dirt, should I be happy or sad?🙃.

I have never thought about how effective the filter might be. I just bought one from the local car spares place and fitted it.

In all the posts I've seen on various threads I've not come across any info about the performance of a filter and what it should be, how many microns etc.

For a high precision application such as a direct injection diesel, the filter specification is quite tough and therefore is explicit. For our cars with simple carburettors built to 1960s tolerances, as long as you filter out the visible crud and anything that would jam the float valve open, you're fine. All the factory bothered to fit was a brass gauze in the pump.

38 minutes ago, Rosbif said:

I have never thought about how effective the filter might be. I just bought one from the local car spares place and fitted it.

In all the posts I've seen on various threads I've not come across any info about the performance of a filter and what it should be, how many microns etc.

I agree that you dont need much but if my filter paper is actually punctured (my air pocket does seem to be the only one thats disappeared) then everything is going through to my rorty tractor engine😭