What Have You Still To Do To Your Car

11 hours ago, Rubce said:

Tim H

That is an interesting post of yours. I have been battling to eliminate the squeal from the Mintex pads on our Stag. It's that final stopping when in traffic etc which sets my hairs on end!

Regards

Bruce

The Mintex 1144 in my Stag squeal but I don't really mind about that - they stop the car in all conditions, that's all I care about!

15 hours ago, FloydP said:

Hi all, thanks for all the help, I think I might have a solution that means I get to use my original carb. It’s a bracket held down by the float valve, I’ll make it in 2mm aluminum which is the same thickness as the aluminum washer under the valve at the moment. I can’t think of any problems with it but would like opinions. The pictures are of a tin mock up I made early this morning.

BB86CF48-6AB8-42FC-A077-EEAEE624A889.jpeg

28116770-2E82-40E6-922F-FF8D30008BDB.jpeg

This looks like a smart fix to me, good thinking! And sounds like it's working as well - what a save 🙂

Well after Morecombe and Wise's earlier double act where they mentioned "wheel bearings", I'm now trying to work out if they have a crystal ball or ... As on my way home going slowly in traffic I heard that annoying cyclical squeak squeak that got faster as the car did, pulled in to a service station and the off side front wheel was a lot warmer than the near side 😒.. ordered a set of bearings while it cooled off followed by much slower drive home !!

On 17/09/2021 at 14:30, PeteStupps said:

Just adding to the squealing crowd, my brakes have had a hackle-raising screech at low speed since switching to 1144 pads. Haven't tried anything to alleviate it though, too many other annoying rattles and clonks to deal with first!

If the pads squal with a compound that doesnt normally do so (mintex 1444 for example) its normally an indication the leading edge of the pad is making contact before the rest. Ideally the trailing end will make contact first. 

2 hours ago, Pete PiEst said:

Well after Morecombe and Wise's earlier double act where they mentioned "wheel bearings", I'm now trying to work out if they have a crystal ball or ... As on my way home going slowly in traffic I heard that annoying cyclical squeak squeak that got faster as the car did, pulled in to a service station and the off side front wheel was a lot warmer than the near side 😒.. ordered a set of bearings while it cooled off followed by much slower drive home !!

Make sure they are timken. And make sure thats actually whats in the box.

• Thanks 1

I’m currently using Green Stuff pads, which were used on the 2018 Round Britain Run initially. Oddly, half-way through  I started suffering loud brake squeal, not just squeak, from the offside front.

The pads have a rubberised backing, though I also used the anti-squeal shims in conjunction with these, which I knew was apparently not recommended. Could this be the cause?

This time, I’ve replaced both pistons and seals as the piston condition was ‘borderline’, and I’ll try running it without the shims but with plenty of copper grease on the backing. I’m also reverting to DOT 4 fluid from silicone.

Kevin

Edited by Boxofbits

New job to do.

After driving faultlessly to the DM yesterday on the way back it developed as misfire. Fine on the motorway but struggled on b-roads and when I came off at services. 

Seemed to drive slightly better when I pulled the choke out so wondering whether it’s fuel supply related?

Whilst searching for a door lock pull I came across one timkin front wheel bearing but there's no point just changing one so I'll wait for the pair to turn up .. they're coming from a reputable seller so I'm sure what's on the outside of the box will be what's on the inside but I'll double check 👍

34 minutes ago, Pete PiEst said:

Whilst searching for a door lock pull I came across one timkin front wheel bearing but there's no point just changing one so I'll wait for the pair to turn up .. they're coming from a reputable seller so I'm sure what's on the outside of the box will be what's on the inside but I'll double check 👍

Bad luck Pete. Some years back I obtained a pair of Timken bearings for the 4A from John Lloyd, trading as https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lotsofclassicbits I have bought other items from this source over the years, quality always good.

Tim

On 19/09/2021 at 11:26, Nick Jones said:

Sounds like manifold air leak to me….

Nick

Checked the manifold and it is fine.

I checked the plugs and they were a little sooted so I think she’s running a little too rich.

I cleaned the plugs and topped up the dash pots with oil as they were low and misfire has gone away.

I will get the carbs tuned and hopefully that resolves it permanently.

Although I will be driving her a lot now to make sure it does, as it make me nervous when things like this happens just before the event starts.