What Have You Still To Do To Your Car

6 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

Bah!

I was supposed to be driving round the Lake District today, on day 2 of the Cambridge area's three-day Peaks-Lakes-Dales run. It was a shake-down test for the RBRR car. I had to bail last night because the gearbox mounting's failed.

That’s a shame, but at least it failed now rather than 2am Saturday morning in the middle of nowhere up in Scotland. 😉 

Hopefully you can fix it before the event starts. 

1 minute ago, PaulB said:

That’s a shame, but at least it failed now rather than 2am Saturday morning in the middle of nowhere up in Scotland. 😉 

Hopefully you can fix it before the event starts. 

I hope so. To be honest, it wasn't bad enough to stop me - I did drive the car home (3 hours of boring dual carriageway) with no problem - and if it had happened on the RBRR I might well have opted to just push on. But the roads we were planning to use in the Lakes and Dales would have bashed the overdrive repeatedly against the chassis, and I figured losing two days of fun in favour of two days in the garage removing all the interior and getting access to stuff would give much better odds of being able to fix a failed mounting than I'd have of fixing a cracked overdrive casing!

Also had brake squeel on my TR6 with 1144 pads.. added rubber backing from 3M and it has almost eliminated it.. might try ferodo when these wear out. 2500TC was dropped off to team "dad and the kids" at the weekend. Did a faultless drive to goodwood and back before hand (appart from a slightly knocky exhaust!). These guys are going to have one comfy RBRR.. Now onto our own car, the supercharged TR6, think things are pretty much sorted (did a 500 mile weekend round trip to penzance over the summer). Just need to sort a draft coming through the passengers door.. Won't be popular with the co-driver! and give her a wash!

Tim

I got the new gearbox mount in. The old one was definitely failed - not visibly but the upper part slides around in the rubber, and the new one puts the gearbox a quarter inch higher up.

Then I had a look at the gearbox remote, and fettled the bushes a bit. Then I tried to install a remote clutch bleed nipple but didn't manage to get the pipe connected in place of the existing one before dinner time.

I also noticed when I got home last night that I've lost a tail light - possibly a blown bulb but could be a wire fallen out - so I need to check that once I've got the gearbox cover back in.

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

I got the new gearbox mount in. The old one was definitely failed - not visibly but the upper part slides around in the rubber, and the new one puts the gearbox a quarter inch higher up.

Then I had a look at the gearbox remote, and fettled the bushes a bit. Then I tried to install a remote clutch bleed nipple but didn't manage to get the pipe connected in place of the existing one before dinner time.

I also noticed when I got home last night that I've lost a tail light - possibly a blown bulb but could be a wire fallen out - so I need to check that once I've got the gearbox cover back in.

Glad you got gearbox mount sorted.

Typical that something else fails!

Fixed speedo tonight. As suspected it was just the cable had popped out of the back. 

Also changed the spark plugs for new ones to ensure misfire is resolved. Took it for a spin this evening and misfire seems to have gone.

MOT tomorrow morning so fingers crossed she’ll pass.

If MOT doesn’t raise any issues, it should be just tune and stick carpets down and fix new bonnet cones. 

Very happy, Spitfire passed MOT this morning with only an advisory on the rear tyre.

The tread has started to get low on both rears but plenty left to be legal. However, the offside rear had a small bulge in the tyre wall on the inside. It was very difficult to spot and one could only see it whilst under the car in the pit.

So new rear tyres have been ordered.

I think this goes to show that our older cars which are exempt from MOT should still get tested regularly.

I wouldn’t of spotted that and I hate to think what would had happened if the tyre failed whilst at speed with my son in the car. 

• Like 1

It seems I now need to fit a new radiator, or get someone to braze up the existing one. It's leaking from the top pipe joint, which appears to be cracking. Thought it was weeping from the hose but saw coolant bubbling direct from the rad pipe itself this evening. Arse. But fortunate that I saw it

_20210922_232946.JPG

I've just replaced my top hose because there was coolant leaking from somewhere around there. It may have been the end of the hose (the pipe on my radiator is a bit dented) but I'd have had to dismantle it all to check so a new hose went on. In the process I removed the thermostat housing (rusty bolts, of course) and noticed the stat was the type without the bleed hole for prevention of air locks. Given how often this car needs topping up (perhaps less so now - let's hope) that seemed a good reason to drill a tiny hole in it.

I really hope the only thing left still to do on mine is put the driver's footwell carpet back in. Oh, and fit the sun visors - I keep forgetting them. And swap the passenger seat for the GT6's recliner.

48 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Applied by stickers to magnetic sheet today, corners peeling up already.

Put the plaques on a couple of bit of plastic sheet, they are half peeled off.... 😞

Did the magnetic sheet you were using have adhesive on one side? Mine did and I had no issues.

9 hours ago, Rubce said:

Did the magnetic sheet you were using have adhesive on one side? Mine did and I had no issues.

Brown magnetic stuff on back, glossy white plasticky surface on the front. 

I am hoping the "low-tack" stickers become "high-tack" ones as they usually do a few days after application.

they never come off easily on the Monday after the run.

if that fails, gorilla tape round the edges. 🙂