Spitfire74

Evening all,

I'm thinking about installing a scissor lift (https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7532b-3-2t-mid-rise-scissor-lift/) in my garage for maintenance of my vehicles, including the Spitfire MkIV. My concern though is that the lift would damage the sills of the Spitfire. Has anyone got any experience with these with Spitfires?

Thanks, Nick

I wouldn't use that type of lift on any car, but certainly not a Spitfire. However, you can make it acceptable by adding some "pads". Get several blocks of metal (or hard wood) and stick a heavy rubber pad on one face of each. Then place those blocks, rubber pad up, on the platform under the lifting points the car is designed with. In the case of the Spitfire, that's the chassis - corners at the back and the suspension attachment points at the front.

Quoted from RobPearce-

I wouldn't use that type of lift on any car, but certainly not a Spitfire. However, you can make it acceptable by adding some "pads". Get several blocks of metal (or hard wood) and stick a heavy rubber pad on one face of each. Then place those blocks, rubber pad up, on the platform under the lifting points the car is designed with. In the case of the Spitfire, that's the chassis - corners at the back and the suspension attachment points at the front.

Hi Rob, what would be your reason for not using? Curious as having done research into lifts, this style seem very popular and indeed recommended!

Your suggestion of making lifting pads makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Well, perhaps I should have said I wouldn't use it in the apparently obvious manner of lifting the car body as if you've grounded it on a particularly harsh speed hump. There are lots of bits at the very bottom of a car that aren't good places to lift it.

As long as you're using suitable lifting pads and positioning them correctly then I suppose having the flat surfaces gives you almost as much choice as a proper two-post lift with extendable swing arms to locate your four lift pads in the right places. It's not nearly as good for access and probably doesn't reach all the places you'd want, though. In particular, since it relies on you driving the car over it so that the wheels aren't on the lift, it's only really got the middle of the sills available, and that's not good, especially for a Spitfire. Even most monocoque designs provide lifting points only at the ends of the sills.

Having looked at the page again, I see that they do include some rubber lifting pads, so the "speed hump" approach isn't what the manufacturer intends.

if you get one that will lift on the chassis then its only good to take the wheels off you cant do much underneath as the lift baulks any access  its a must have bit of kit that  you dont really need it does very little to help you .

i know of a good few that just gather oil drips and dust 

Pete

I think it depends what type of scissor lift you're talking about.  The drive-on ones do restrict a  lot of access.

I've had one of these for years https://strongmanlifts.co.uk/product/tamar/ and it gets lots of use.  A 2 or 4 post lift would be great but I've yet to find one that has short enough posts to go in a domestic garage.

A few years ago, I recessed the Tamar into the garage floor and that means it's there when I want it and not in the way at all when I don't.  Previously, I needed some small ramps alongside the lift to get the Spitty over it.  But I think the "classic" ones are a bit lower now.

Arms with pads mean I can lift the car at exactly the points I want.  I've used it on Spit, Vitesse TR and Jags (and even an Aston once...).

It's my favourite tool!

Quoted from RobPearce-

Having looked at the page again, I see that they do include some rubber lifting pads, so the "speed hump" approach isn't what the manufacturer intends.

Ah yep just seen that, that seems to be the solution to the problem of lifting on the sills as I guess they would just sit under the appropriate jacking points like a normal trolley jack would! I was worried about the idea of just driving on like the sped hump approach you mention, couldn't see how that would not be bad for the car!

Also, would love a 2 post lift but sadly it won't fit in under the rafters of my garage. This would and would still allow me to raise the car so the wheels are approximately shoulder height and give me much better access under vehicles than jacking onto axle stands.

Quoted from Pete Arnold-
But I hope you've spotted that the website states "Out of stock"

Ah damn, it wasn't when I posted this haha!

Quoted from AndyTR-

I think it depends what type of scissor lift you're talking about.  The drive-on ones do restrict a  lot of access.

I've had one of these for years https://strongmanlifts.co.uk/product/tamar/ and it gets lots of use.  A 2 or 4 post lift would be great but I've yet to find one that has short enough posts to go in a domestic garage.

A few years ago, I recessed the Tamar into the garage floor and that means it's there when I want it and not in the way at all when I don't.  Previously, I needed some small ramps alongside the lift to get the Spitty over it.  But I think the "classic" ones are a bit lower now.

Arms with pads mean I can lift the car at exactly the points I want.  I've used it on Spit, Vitesse TR and Jags (and even an Aston once...).

It's my favourite tool!

Andy, surely that kind restricts access underneath even more as you have the gubbins of the mechanism in the middle under the car!?

• 1 month later...

I have one similar to the one AndyTR mentions.

http://www.kelston.nz/Scissor-Lift.php

I fitted a pair of castors to the end without wheels so I can easily pull it out with out using the tow/lift attachment on the pump trolley.
It is to wide to put under the Vitesse length ways so it goes sideways. The car is on wheel jacks so its get pulled out from the wall. As the scissor lift lives under the Vitesse it gets pulled out the same amount. Lifting arms with lift pads get swung out to pick up my preferred lifting points which are where the bulkhead outriggers meet the chassis and where the rear outrigger in front of the rear wheels meets the chassis. One push of the button and it is up to at least 1.2m from the floor.
With using it sideways I have not found a mechanical part of the car I cannot work on though. Diff is clear and as the gearbox comes out from inside it is not impeded, can even drain the gearbox and od while on the hoist.
I fitted quick release hose couplings to mine so I can remove the pump from the system if it gets in the way or when stored.

Adrian