European Motoring Offences

Swarf

It might be of interest to everybody who is entering the 10CR, or traveling european roads that the UK authorities now release our personal details to other European countries for when motoring offences are commited.

How do i know this? Well, this morning I have recieved a French violation notice for an 'alledged' 😉 speeding offence from a return trip from the Spa-Francorchamps 6 hour race, on the 16th September 2018. Violation notice dated 15th March 2019. Recieved 27th March 2019.

As Shaw Taylor would have said 'keep them peeled'!

I had one of those from about 15 years ago.  I'm still waiting for a knock on the door and a visit from the "Can't Pay?... We'll Take it Away" lot.

What we really need is our government to do something about this petty meddling from Europe.  If only someone would think of a way we could part from the EU.  It must be possible surely?

Quoted from sparky_spit-

What we really need is our government to do something about this petty meddling from Europe.  If only someone would think of a way we could part from the EU.  It must be possible surely?

Interesting point there. You should run it by your local MP to see if it is possible, if it is I reckon it would take no more than , say, 24 months to put in place. 😎

Quoted from Swarf-

Surely my details being released by the DVLA to French authorities is in total contravention of GDPR 😎😛

The DVLA are quite happy to sell your private data to parking companies etc.

I would have thought giving it to the French nation is a lesser invasion of your privacy.

roger

Bad luck Chris. It seems outrageous that you only received the Violation Notice 6 months after the alleged speeding offence - is there no Statute of Limitations? In the UK, as you no doubt know, a Notice of Intended Prosecution must be issued in the name of the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days of the date of the alleged offence.

Did you by chance fall foul of the relatively recent reduction in the French speed limit for rural single carriageways from 90 to 80kph?

Tim

Quoted from Tim Hunt-

Did you by chance fall foul of the relatively recent reduction in the French speed limit for rural single carriageways from 90 to 80kph?

Tim

Around here a high percentage of locals have yet to read about this change and drive as before, well except that when they approach a radar they do slow to 80.

Interesting side effect of this change:

In zones that introduce reduced speed limits when there are high pollution levels the speeds applicable are as follows.

Motorways from 130 to 110

Dual carriage ways from 110 to 90

Main roads that still have a 90 limit, these tend to be ones with 2 lanes in one direction and one in the other so the 2 lane side is 90 not 80, they drop to 70.

However, the 80 limit doesn't change . . .French logic.

Quoted from Tim Hunt-

Bad luck Chris. It seems outrageous that you only received the Violation Notice 6 months after the alleged speeding offence - is there no Statute of Limitations? In the UK, as you no doubt know, a Notice of Intended Prosecution must be issued in the name of the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days of the date of the alleged offence.

Tim

Hi Tim,

We werent victims of any speed limit reductions, we had just got a little bit of a wriggle on. If the camera had caught us earlier it could have been far more expensive, as where we were caught we were a lot slower 😇

It is true the car park ANPR cameras struggle. Local supermarkets don't register my car, and I have had problems getting out of a multi-storey (having paid and entered my reg number)

However, the Dart charge has no problems billing me, so I reckon the "important" ones will get you, just private ones may struggle.

Don

Car park ones in Colchester seem to struggle. Hospital proven to be incapable last week, St Mary's never lets me out straight away, haVe to wait the 30 second timeout as it doesn't register me going in. Still have to pay though as ticket is timed, they just struggle to prove it is same car using the ticket (they had a big issue with estate agents swapping tickets to minimise costs in the past)

The council dumps at Stanway and Clayton don't seem to be able either. 

The BP station at the football stadium can't read the plates, that seems to be a general problem with BP.

I have about. 50% hit rate with the Dartford bridge, others have been luckier. 

Quoted from sparky_spit-

The best way to fool the Dart Charge cameras is to put a £200 set of spotlamps partially blocking your number plate.

Maybe I should have posted that yesterday....

....and a tow bar with six spots on the rear?What they don`t get on the front they get you in the rear.....so to speak