1960's International Rallies

Greta

"Before I die ..." yes I'm sure several of us have had such thoughts this past year... well - I'm seeking others that might just have similar lifetime ambitions as me.

undefined

My Hero Jean-Jacques Thuner competed in 1963 in six rounds of The European Rally Championship - these six rallies have rightly become massive classics & epitomise the very essence of 1960's rallying. Over his career he successfully completed all these rallies driving everything from a Herald, through TR3, TR4s, Spitfires and Triumph 2000s 

Rally Monte Carlo, Tulip, Coupe des Alpes, Leige-Sophia-Leige, Geneve, & RAC .... mouth watering, pulse stirring names steeped in history. Reading & researching these events & the exploits of crews campaigning Triumphs one can't help but yearn for the opportunity to revisit those times. Of course we can't turn back time, nor realistically afford to participate in some of the ultra expensive modern Historic events that only the extremely rich can do; but one can afford a two week annual holiday each year.

Are there any others out there that would like to join me in researching routes, & possible itineraries and then ( over the next few years ) teaming up as a small gang to drive the roads, visit the places & generally use our Triumphs in homage to the great cars & drivers of a golden era?  

Ah Nuala, what a lovely idea.. I'd love to do something like that but would probably never get beyond daydreaming. Holiday for me has to tie in with school until the kids are a bit older (although my 10-year-old thinks she wants to come on the RBRR as a passenger). 

From the last C2C run I also know I'd need some driver training if I wanted to keep up with you!

Great photo. 

Pete

The idea certainly appeals but, like Pete, I have restrictions. Unlike Pete, it's not due to kids. To get it approved by SWMBO it would need to fit her idea of a holiday, meaning limited driving hours (I'd be the only driver), we'd need to take time to visit non-motorsport places of interest, and we'd need to stay in nice hotels.

Quoted from RobPearce-

The idea certainly appeals but, like Pete, I have restrictions. Unlike Pete, it's not due to kids. To get it approved by SWMBO it would need to fit her idea of a holiday, meaning limited driving hours (I'd be the only driver), we'd need to take time to visit non-motorsport places of interest, and we'd need to stay in nice hotels.

Easy - We visit, Monte Carlo, Rome, Paris etc & SWMBO has an opportunity to shop in all the best boutiques on a budget equivalent to the event petrol budget ...

Quoted from PeteStupps-

Ah Nuala, what a lovely idea.. I'd love to do something like that but would probably never get beyond daydreaming. Holiday for me has to tie in with school until the kids are a bit older (although my 10-year-old thinks she wants to come on the RBRR as a passenger). 

From the last C2C run I also know I'd need some driver training if I wanted to keep up with you!

Great photo. 

Pete

Home Schooling  ... I thought you would've got the hang of this by now. Geography: map-reading, landscape geomorphology, Languages, French, Latin, German. Maths: TSD Calculations, budgeting & log keeping, Science - practical engineering ...not to mention the mind expanding experience that travel brings.

You guys just need to think a little outside the box!

With no ties,commitments, work or marital issues.........we will be going everywhere we possibly can ...when allowed. However ,with the continent looking more of a no-no until 2022 ,then I cannot see how we will be able to do it. What we need is a set of travel corridor traffic lights that will be permanently stuck on green............at the moment ...and forseeable future, they are stuck on red!