I have some questions that need answering.....

Clive

Firstly, flies. They get in the house, and I have an immense dislike of them. But why do they fly in circles around the ceiling lights, even when the lights are not on?

Next, toothpaste. Is it just me, or does a tube go down to almost empty, then like magic it still manages to last a good week after? I am convinced I am consistent with the amount on the brush.

I will no doubt come up with some more things that bother me in due course.

Answers/theories welcome

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clive said:

Next, toothpaste. Is it just me, or does a tube go down to almost empty, then like magic it still manages to last a good week after? I am convinced I am consistent with the amount on the brush.

You have to wonder if the toothpaste tube was invented by M C Escher and is using some sort of non-euclidean geometry internally.

ok, I'll bite.

The toothpaste tube isn't actually a tube, it is a right circular conoid. The volume at the cap end is far greater than the volume at the squashed flat end, so the last of the tube does appear to last much longer.

The important question though, is why is toothpaste still sold in cardboard boxes, when the opening of the tube already comes with a tamper proof top. 

59 minutes ago, Craig said:

why is toothpaste still sold in cardboard boxes

Not all are. Up until this week I bought my local supermarket own brand - much cheaper and no box just the tube. This week I find that they no longer do their own brand 'normal range' its been replaced by their own 'bio' range at double the price. I looked along the shelves to find the cheapest available, it has a cardboard box wow! Why do we need so much choice in toothpaste, amongst other stuff.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

ok, I'll bite.

The toothpaste tube isn't actually a tube, it is a right circular conoid. The volume at the cap end is far greater than the volume at the squashed flat end, so the last of the tube does appear to last much longer.

The important question though, is why is toothpaste still sold in cardboard boxes, when the opening of the tube already comes with a tamper proof top. 

I really don't think that totally explains it. Just checked, and I reckon the x sectional area is about 80% for  2/3rds of the tube. But the last bit just seems to go on and on.

As I have now been thinking further I wonder if I am making more effort to squeeze the contents from the "thin" end right down. I hate waste....

As to cardboard, that will, as always, be down to the beancounters. But I think my tube was naked when bought.

19 hours ago, Clive said:

Firstly, flies. They get in the house, and I have an immense dislike of them. But why do they fly in circles around the ceiling lights, even when the lights are not on?

I will no doubt come up with some more things that bother me in due course.

Answers/theories welcome

Questions, questions….

- why does the “full” buzzer on my mower always sound when I’m at the furthest point from the grass heap……

- where in creation do all the the wood lice in my bathroom come from, and why are most of them in a line between bed and the loo?

First world problems…..

As regards the toothpaste, while I can relate, it sounds suspiciously a maths/ quantum physics question and I’m staying right away from any of that Witchery…..

The flies do it to annoy you (and me)……. and it works, goddamit. Further, how is it that the incredibly annoying fly buzzing around at sleep time doesn’t keep the wife awake, but if you get up to deal with it she immediately wakes up and gets cross with you?!

Nick

Woodlice are a mystery, they pop up in all sorts of odd places. Our old house used to get them in the bathroom, nowhere else. Maybe there was a big colony under the floor.

I do't get to use a proper mower. A strimmer for work (with those flippin not autofeed reels) and Gill mows teh grass at home as I used to do it wrong.

Bees I like, but if I open a window they spend all their time hitting the glass either side of the open one.... missing the opening constantly.

Shower gel, only runs out when you are soaked and the new one is sitting in the kitchen. Not to mention bog roll....

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Gill mows teh grass at home as I used to do it wrong.

Great tactic! Suspect it won’t work work here though….. herself views the ride-on the same way that cats view hoovers…..

Auto feed reels on strimmers like self adjust drum brakes on…. well, almost anything really, but especially Triumphs…..

Our shower pumps likes to turn itself off….. but only after you’re soaped and shampoo’d up. The reset button is at the other end of the house…. 

5 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

The flies do it to annoy you

We’ve started commanding them to leave. It works. Father-in-law shouts “Get out fly!” and points at an open window or door, and it’s worked to many times that we do it to now. Even our little one. Honestly it works too often, I think we’ve discovered the flies can understand signals (or don’t like shouting 🤷🏻‍♂️)

7 hours ago, Clive said:

I really don't think that totally explains it. Just checked, and I reckon the x sectional area is about 80% for  2/3rds of the tube. But the last bit just seems to go on and on.

As I have now been thinking further I wonder if I am making more effort to squeeze the contents from the "thin" end right down. I hate waste....

As to cardboard, that will, as always, be down to the beancounters. But I think my tube was naked when bought.

Do you get the rolling pin out to move all the toothpaste to the end when it is almost empty?

Or is it just me?

didnt use to be a problem when tubes were aluminium.

13 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Do you get the rolling pin out to move all the toothpaste to the end when it is almost empty?

Holy crap Colin…… I see I’m but a Pygmy in the skinflint stakes…….

I can totally relate to toothpaste chicken though….. I rarely loose. Strong thumbs……

I see a market opportunity for a “small mangle” to really get the last dregs.

14 hours ago, Ben Hutchings said:

We’ve started commanding them to leave. It works.

No way! Going to have to try that. May have to wait until I’m alone in the house though…. They are already picking out a “home” for me. 🙄

10 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Can anyone explain why silverfish exist....I loathe the little buggers?

To annoy us.

Same thing about earwigs. When I was a kid we had a caravan that always had some earwigs in it, despite use of various insect killing stuff (most of which is now banned I expect, and for good reason)

Did you know -

the top of the flange  (12-o-clock position) of a railway wheel travels at twice the speed of the vehicle it is attached to.

Also the 6-o-clock position of the flange on the same wheel is always going backwards

Roger

56 minutes ago, Hogie said:

the top of the flange  (12-o-clock position) of a railway wheel travels at twice the speed

Actually slightly more than. The top of any wheel - assuming a solid, circular wheel with no flange - is always travelling exactly twice the speed (relative to ground) of the centre, which is where the axle is fixed to the vehicle. The top of the flange is slightly beyond that and therefore going slightly faster still. The same is true of the top of a car tyre, because the bottom of the tyre is slightly compressed.