Misfire then cutting out

Baxter

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 18/09/2020 at 21:44, Pete Lewis said:

never dispel the ideas of the dreaded rubber slivers nasty little sods get cut off the hose bore when inserting metal pipes , they randomly float about and block the back of the float needle valves can drive you mad 

need to remove the valve and check behing where they hide and also pump a little fuel into a jar see if you catch some 

also check the hose to the top fuel tank outlet , good place to suck air but not show a leak due to no head of fuel present when parked up.

Pete

Pete, you are so right about those slivers! I took my recently cleaned fuel bowls apart and found loads of them. Never seen them before.

On 18/06/2021 at 12:00, Ben Hutchings said:

Hey @Baxter I just imported this thread from the old forum and so pleased I did! My GT6 is suffering from pretty much exactly the same problem. I've been though quite a few of the troubleshooting steps above, but not replaced any fuel-lines yet. Did the problem stay fixed since your last post? And if so, did you pin it down to a specific thing, or was it just some restriction somewhere in the lines? 

Thanks, and thanks for everyone's advice on this thread. It's gold. 

@Ben Hutchings How are you getting on with your misfire/cut out? I've now put a few miles on the car and can report back on my findings. Drove Ciren to Devon - one brief misfire session by Bristol. Poured water over fuel pipes and completed the 150 miles without incident. Return 150 miles without fault. That was a hot weekend too. Then put another 500 miles on over 2 weeks in daily driver mode, never more than an hour or so/ 35 miles in one go, but no problems. I can't pin down the improvement but here's what I think. I've made 4 changes:
1. Put Huco pump in place of Facet. Only managed a couple of long runs before serious cut out problems occurred. Facet pump was stronger (and much noisier) so potentially this was the start of my problems.

2. Changed the coil multiple times. Can rule this one out now. Vapour lock has surely been the issue - and pouring cold water on fuel hoses quickly improves/clears it.

3. Changed the fuel lines from tank to bay/pump, then pump to carbs. This increased flow by 50%

4. Modified fuel pipe routing to try to avoid high spots. Not completely possible on my triple SU set up with the banjo inlets provided.

So I think 3 and 4 have both helped all but eliminate the problem.

4 has also caused an increase in the rubber slivers. What with that and the ethanol in our fuel I recently had an idea to look up how things work on that other car famous for sporting triple SUs - the e-type. It seems far more elegant solder banjos and t-junctions are used, so I decided to have one made up (there's an expert in the workshop next door to mine). This completely eliminates the high hose loop and will greatly reduce the slivers. Just fitted it tonight. Will let you know how I get on once I'm back on the road.

Screenshot_20210816-225040.png

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

....long delay sorry 😬 @Baxter. Well I've not put the fuel lines/pump/filters back into the car yet since my investigations, but I think I found the issue: Malpassi Filter King had fired it's needle valve thing out, inside the glass bowl, so I think it was completely flooding the carbs after about 20 mins. Something like that. 

On 29/03/2022 at 12:42, Guppy916 said:

Very neat Baxter, are you still running with no misfire now ?

Yes, no misfire. Crazy - it went from cutting out every 30 mins to doing the RBRR without a fault. (Sorry only just saw replies to this old thread)

On 25/04/2022 at 17:33, Ben Hutchings said:

....long delay sorry 😬 @Baxter. Well I've not put the fuel lines/pump/filters back into the car yet since my investigations, but I think I found the issue: Malpassi Filter King had fired it's needle valve thing out, inside the glass bowl, so I think it was completely flooding the carbs after about 20 mins. Something like that. 

Good luck Ben, I hope that is the issue and the fix is easy.  Hoping to see your GT6 out and about as we're located quite close to each other