97 octane petrol

David Gee

I'm lucky: there's a BP station with 97 octane petrol within 0.5 miles of my home in Redditch.  However, I'm now on holiday in Aberdyfi and can't find 97 octane petrol for my Vitesse anywhere near. There must be a website somewhere with addresses of filling stations with 97 octane but I haven't found one after a long search on Google. Can anyone help, please?  Incidentally, my last fill-up was at a Gulf station in Craven Arms. 

Shell do an app for a smart phone that will give you the nearest Shell Station wherever you are in the UK. I do like their 99 Octane Super U/L.

Just an aside, we regularly take our 73 GT6 to Shetland (they have a fantastic Classic Car Show there every two years) where the last fill of 99 is by the ferry terminal in Aberdeen! It's also usually the first stop on the way back too!

As Dannyb says, carry an bottle of octane booster with you.

Hope you get fuel!

Richard.

I have wondered about this. I used to run 95, though I used to retard my timing to stop pinking I think. I say I think, as I still have to retard my timing for pinking fairly often, even when regularly running 99 for some reason?.

I didn't notice any difference in power on 95, though some far more experienced than me say the retarding not good for engine?, so using 99.

Dave   

my pinking was greatly reduced when I renewed my carb spindles. However I still use the additive especially for longer, higher speed runs as (hopefully) it protects my valve seats, definitely means I can stay in 4th much more without pinking and also stops run on.....

Just an update: I rang the Texaco station in Machynlleth, SY20 8BH, to confirm they have super petrol and they said they do NOT!! It seems the most convenient one for me - on my usual route to and from the Midlands - is Texaco in Newtown. I've also used Texaco in Craven Arms. I've established that Shell don't have V-Power anywhere nearer than Shrewsbury. I'm not sure about BP or any others.

Happy motoring!

David