Advice for a new owner...

tsaurus

Hi all,

Appealing to your experience and generosity in the sharing of knowledge!

I have always had a dream to own a classic and within the next 12 months I'm going to have the money to make the dream a reality. So far so good.

The first car I identified as a useful starting place was a Spitfire - Mk3 or 1500. 

My plan is to buy something that's been recently restored or is at least in good working order, to then learn as I go by maintaining it and keeping it running - with the idea of maybe, eventually, taking on a bigger restoration project etc. While not a complete novice I know there will be lots to learn along the way. (I've also got access to a veteran car restorer in my other half's father, who's currently running a trio of Morris Oxfords and a Minor!) 

In your opinion, if you were looking at a Spitfire, or a Triumph in general, what were the things you wish you'd known when you first got one, and what would have been most helpful?

Ie, tools you can't be without, spares I'll get through lots of, essential maintenance that isn't covered by Haynes, a specific year to avoid or to look at, what to look for in a car I'm interested in... etc. 

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Don't rely on Haynes. Get the reprinted official factory WSM (from the club shop?)

You will need a trolley jack, axle stands, socket set, set of imperial spanners, two grease guns (one for hub grease, the other for oiling trunnions with EP90)

Depending on the car, you may find you don't get through that many spares. My GT6 really hasn't used much in the way of parts or consumables (apart from engine oil) since the rebuild.

Regular maintenance is fairly well covered by the books - oil, coolant, filters, plugs, hub greasing, trunnion oiling, UJ grease if they're the type you can do, brake fluid & bleeding, and a weekly decent run out. They like to be used, that's the main thing the manual doesn't say.

If you're looking at a 1500 there's the 1975 cheap imported steel thing but if you get a fully restored one there won't be much of that left.