Who has what to do for 2020

Persuade Sue to let me have another go at age 75, she had hoped that the 2016 Run would be my last. Who knows what the future holds but I can honestly say I felt as fresh finishing on Sunday as I did after my first RBRR (or Round Britain Tour as it was then known) in 1974. It does help though to have a reliable car that just needs fuel and a bit of oil. I could have left all the tools at home!

Tim

Quoted from Tim Hunt-

Persuade Sue to let me have another go at age 75, she had hoped that the 2016 Run would be my last. Who knows what the future holds but I can honestly say I felt as fresh finishing on Sunday as I did after my first RBRR (or Round Britain Tour as it was then known) in 1974. It does help though to have a reliable car that just needs fuel and a bit of oil. I could have left all the tools at home!

Tim

well done! I need to doff my hat to you sir! I also said that after this one I would be not longer entering, but seen that the gloria has unfinished business here, and that for the short run we did manage to do I felt confident that we could manage the same kind of timings as with the renown, I guess we will be giving it an other try.

So what need to be done,

Get the car back, repair the engine, get an overdrive gearbox somehow slotted it (or change the final drive) make sure the instruments are all visible and accurate for the driver to see (probably will install an aftermarket "bike" speedo cluster) and make the electrics reliable.

D

Just rebuilding the engine and sort the heating so that it can be adjusted between the on and off settings by means other than re-plumbing!

Or and fit some speakers that are audible, some rear suspension that doesn't squeak, make the bonnet less rattly, fix the passenger window so it winds up as well as down and..........

Quoted from richard w-

The blue car needs to do better then the PI's 2 failures mate 72 Stag RV8
68 Mk1 2000 automatic

Warwickshire Scatter Rally 2014,2015,2016
RBRR 2014 finisher - team 94  
RBRR 2016 - team 80 - non-starter (wretched HGF!)  
HCR 2015,2016,2017
Essex 12 Car Rally 2015,2016 
CSMA NWL 12 Car 2015 finisher - just about!
CT Gaydon Autosolo 2016
Warwickshire Winter 12 Car Rally 2016   2017
10CR 2017 finisher  

Just to clear up any confusion, the above was just teasing Steve.  The PI was brilliant on the run, the 2 failures were a blown sidelight bulb and a brake light switch failing.  If only mine had been that good!

Fit the new loom to the GT6 and use her, really miss not driving the car.

However, I wonder if I should take part next time. The event is so big, that I am not sure the main organiser should take part.

We, the organisers of the RBRR have a 'round up' meeting set for Nov 24th and will be discussing the 26th RBRR and what we should do for the 27th event in 2020. Whatever, we do we hope that we can improve the 'Reliability' factor and not have the same amount of retirees. 25 was an awful lot.

I'm sure the puriests will disagree as what I would suggest is such a departure from tradition...

However, there are many many out there put off by the fact that it entails driving through the night not once but twice without sleep. In an era of quieter roads and looser legislation this was obviously a great hoot - ( I loved the night drive this year from Gledrid to Monmouth - and was buzzing!! ) ... but do we all really enjoy the long tedious motorway miles?( maybe in a 2500 )

How about beginning very early on Friday and taking three days - with an overnight pit stop / sleep halt on the Saturday evening? A service halt for cars and a rejuvenating refresh for crew. Perhaps this would also permit a greater proportion of the mileage to be non motorway / non dual carriageway. So although it is a departure from tradition in one respect it is also an opportunity to perhaps include a greater number of "driving roads" and address the safety concerns of some of the events detractors.

While still avoiding the need to run on a rally permit perhaps when entry levels are above 100 much more control could be gained by having individual arrival and departure times for each car - or batches of cars. - a special souvenier for crews that don't arrive too early or depart too late! Not due time - but a window of opportunity!

Just my tuppence worth - I'm still endebted to all you guys that make it such a great and memorable event.