Who's got what to do for 2018 ?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from richard w
Fix my ****ing engine - although I think it probably needs doing before 2018! Didn't see you over the weekend Steve, I ended up co-driving with Chris Gleason. How did you get on?

We finished it fine, i was wondering where you was .

Get one of the other cars ready!
Oh, yes, fix the wiper linkage and that annoying brake chirp. That's all for the GT6, but it's now done four and I'm too old to spend a whole weekend packed into such a small space so close to the ground with no suspension to speak of, so next time has to be one of the others.

Fit a smaller steering wheel so I can get my legs underneath and work the accelerator and brake without having my right leg bent to one side all the time! Find a way to improve the handling without ruining the ride comfort, improve the brakes with vented discs and larger calipers, replace the cheap tyres fitted with ones that grip, replace the exhaust before it falls off, which it is about to.. oh and persuade Mrs CT that taking part again would not be a waste of money and time..

I've been thinking about this over the last couple of days......
This years run other than a distributor failing and a water pump that's looking poorly it's been pretty much trouble free. The distributor showed no signs of failing it just stalled and that was it.......swapped and off we went!

So next years entry...... Polish it so stickers don't damage the paint and go I guess?

All depends on which car we decide to use.

The TR ran fine so just a service and maybe a HID light upgrade. It could do with the bodywork tidying up but that wouldn't stop it being used.

The Moss is still lying in bits in the garage, need to sort out an engine and upgrade the electrics then put it all back together again.

Decide if we are going to do it again (probably...).

Remove the custom stainless exhaust, make sure there's no chance of it ever finding it's way near a car ever again, and fit one that actually fits and won't fall off 12 hours in and end up chained to the axle to stop it ending up in the road should it do it again.

Might replace the clutch hydraulics as they behave a bit oddly (but reliably), and go through the brakes as well- the exhaust bashed the soild brake line across the axle when we ran with the back half missing so that needs replacing and the pads will probably need doing by now! Driver's seat would benefit from a new foam base but it's not too bad, and the indicator stalk needs looking at since it now sounds the horn when you indicate left...

That said we might do it in something different next time.

Fix the yellow stag (which I had planned for 2016, but only got as far as looking underneath!) This should involve:
lots of welding
3.9 efi Rover v8
4hp22 auto box
BMW diff
CDD CV drive shafts and hubs
Jag brakes on front
BMW e30 servo
improved seats
fitting a hood.
superforma  wheel spacers
Rover 800 16" wheels
LPG conversion
HID headlamps x4
front and rear foglights

So yes  - that's basically my saloon, but auto in a convertible shell!

It would be nice to have it done and use it for 10CR 2017 as a practice trip, but in reality we'll probably be fitting the diff on the Thursday before the start like usual!

Says he who had an MOTed vitesse ready to go, but used his Spitfire instead due to a few teething problems.....

I wanted to use the stag, but my little brother refused. I even had the offer of help from Craig and Dave Marshall locally, but had to keep my co-driver on side.

Right, here is my list:

One sort out the Wilwood brakes, not too good at pres.
Get the gearbox rebuilt.
Get the heater re-built!
Some localised bodywork and then get the old car re-painted!

However, I must use the GT6 next time!
So:
Get the Vitesse short engine I have re-built and sort out the rear suspension.

Blasted things, these old Triumph cars. Had to laugh as I drove past the Forth Bridge the other day......no need to say eh!

Got to decide which car to use.

AFH - Very early Mk1 2000.  Built it in 1990 ish for rallying and Steph and I had great fun in the 1990s
SCG - Mk1 PI estate if I still have it
Woodie - Get her out for a third time.  She may only be an 'ordinary' MK2 '2500' estate but have had loads of fun with the old girl!

MUT

Quoted from TedTaylor

Yes but AFH has also been a great car with memories and am in the process of sorting her out.  Perhaps lend out Woodie so 'she' can do a third RBRR if I use AFH.

Decision, decisions .......

MUT

That sounds like a good plan Ted, AFH. Let Andrew drive Woodie, stocked up with spares and he can follow me around 😉

Hope to finish the Mk1 next time, that was planned for this year but we took my brothers yellow 2000 Mk2 instead. Pretty rare over here (Netherlands) but common as muck on the RBRR, there were a couple of identical cars around (meaning yellow Mk2s), ha ha.
The Mk1 "just" needs to have the new rear wings (inner and outer) welded in. And probably some other checks as the car is in the shed since 2002 🙂
On the other hand, it might be fun using the TR4. Maybe entering two cars, the Mk1 and the TR and have a roulating scheme so TR drivers can have some rest as well. My brother would need to join CT but I do not see that as a problem.