Who's got what to do for 2018 ?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from Radders-

You forgot to add AGAIN! We did this a week before the RBRR in 2014 as well. =) 

We did, didn't we. Perhaps we just enjoy doing it. :-)

clutch working again now.

Car had a clutch in it that looked quite new, suspect the cross shaft was the actual fault but not picked up on when fitted.

Also fixed the leaky diff nose, well hopefully. Someone had tried to stop it leaking by sticking vast quantities of sealant round the joint to the extension, so it just came out round the flange at a later date. Also the quill shaft was cracked, never seen that before.

I wonder if either a local garage had been employed to do some recommissioning work that didn't know Triumphs. Or a hodges owned it.

Nothing to do except put stickers on at the last minute ready for the off. Must confess that rather then anticipation I feel a sense of sorrow since all too soon by Sunday evening it will be over and I know I will want to go round again straight away for the 23rd time!

Tim

In answer to the question "what do you still have to do for the RBRR?" at this time yesterday, my answer would have been "Fit the new back box, road test, get drinks and nibbles"

Now, the answer is "Change the head gasket. Again"

Car 25 (Ian and Anthony - Flat Mouse Racing) - now looking rather less likely to make it to Knebworth :-(

Yes Ian, know what you mean, always got to be last minute jobs or disasters 😲 Hope you guys get it sorted.

New Overdrive switch which should have been done months ago but got away with cleaning the old one which has worked fine again.

New one fitted now, old one as spares 😎 Then one notices frayed and exposed bare wires inside the gear stick 🤔

Mmm, nice! Hope that's sorted in time too, I once rewired a Ford Prefect where the switches on the steering wheel went down a sleeve inside the steering column... 

Well the head's off, clean and waiting for the new head gasket. I don't know what the Big Six is like, but on the 4-pot motor there is a couple of blind "pockets" in the head beside no.1 cylinder (2 o'clock position relative to the car centre line) and no.4 cylinder (4 o'clock). They are blind, don't go anywhere, and there is no corresponding opening or gallery in the head. Yet for some reason, on the dead HG, the outer layers of the gasket had cutouts matched to the blind 'pocket' beside the no.4. Natural weak spot and of course it failed*. Though not sure exactly how that led to coolant in the sump...

* might be worth a quiet conversation with the sellers!

Quoted from RobPearce-

Just taken the reserve car out for a short run to confirm that my "quarter turn leaner" wasn't too far. Seems to have made no difference to how it drives.

And yesterday (too late, obviously) it got a session on a local rolling road, where it turned out my "quarter turn" was about a whole turn too little! Still, 101.4 BHP from a completely standard dome-top engine with a seriously worn-out distributor and 25 years since the last attention beyond normal servicing... is pretty OK in my book.