• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted from mikew
Delivered mine last night, on my way back from London, after working on the Festival of Remembrance - sorry about the green ball point pen ink - it was all I could find at the time (apart from Black Sharpie - that wasn't sharp anymore!)

You going to do it in the TR5!?!!

JJ,

Do not worry, as I have stated, anyone who has ever wanted to do the RBRR, has done the event.

I am thinking we will get something like 120 - 130 entrants, and that 20 or so will withdraw, leaving 100 or so starters.

All,

We are not operating a Reserve List this time as that seems a waste of time as all that want to do the event, will do the event.

The one thing that we really do want to do is to encourage new crews/entrants to the RBRR. So many regular entrants are running out of friends or colleagues to ask to co-drive that Club members are starting to join together to form RBRR crews.

Jason will publish the Entry List soon, probably this weekend. He is working silly hours these days, 14hours out of the house, so the last thing he wants to do is start pumping entry info onto spreadsheets each evening.

Must admit I always find the opening days of RBRR exciting.

Quoted from Shed 1969

You going to do it in the TR5!?!!

Not sure, the Sprint will have a new engine by then, to a fairly serious specification, EFI, Jenvey Throttle Bodies, forged pistons and rods and a few other goodies so I am quite tempted to take the Sprint round again, or it could be the FF Estate as its the 50th, on the other hand the 5 has an engine to serious spec too, and a 6 pot does sound nicer.... decisions decisions 🙂

Quoted from Stuart Wilson
I'd best get my finger out and get the entry filled in, then the next problem is to locate the cheque book

Good point Stuart, when I looked at my cheque book stubs the last 3 cheques (over 2 years) have all been for Club Triumph, 10 CR and Annual Dinner and the last RBRR (2 years ago). Seems the only reason to have a cheque book is for CT, about time on line payment was made available TBH. I seem to remember that cheques were going to be discontinued a few years back but the banks relented due to complaints from small businesses and clubs etc. However, in this day and age there should be no need to have to write out a cheque....

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
What're you gonna be doing it in Ferny?

The plan is the same as every RBRR - try to take over th.... erm, use the Herald. Got to change a few things on it first, maybe raise the suspension and I have plans for the exhaust which will probably turn out to make no difference what so ever! It'd look... interesting... though.

Gawd, the cheque question raises its ugly head!

Keith is working on this subject at pres., plus updating the website and forum, alot of work. As many know, all CT staff do their CT work in their spare time, we cannot afford full time staff. The RBRR is one of the best events (if I say so myself) and is organised by 5 people doing lots of work in their spare time to ensure that the event lives up to its tradition of offering a top event for Triumph owners.

Hopefully, for the 10CR we should have a automated system.

Please allow us some time to sort things out. Most at CT have full time and demanding jobs.

All I seem to do is apologise for the Club.......get annoyed as time should be spent doing constructive things.

The trouble with the cheque thing is Data protection and the cost of secure interface ..wouldn't want the entry fee going up due to IT costs and not everyone uses pay pal ...anyway half the fun and tradition is getting a cheque in the post ...it adds "mystique" and it is  a final show of defiance to the "modern world" from a load of grumpy old gits festering in their sheds dreaming of the good old days... ...well in my head anyway !

The tsunami of entries has yet to arrive, I suspect that I'll see it tonight when I get home.

As far as cheques are concerned, they still represent the easiest and cheapest way for us to process payments, it would be great to have an online system that you could all fill in your forms, add an online payment and have it all validated against a valid membership number, before getting your entry number and seeing it all published online. It's possible, but I don't know how and if we paid someone to do it, entry fees would go up again.
If anyone can do it, for a small consideration then get in touch with me and we'll talk (remuneration would be flexible, we pay in home made cakes, mugs of tea and maybe a guaranteed RBRR entry or two, there might be money involved but never much!) It would be a labour of love

Could you not just set up an account in the name of CT with online banking so people could transfer the money in directly and then some one from the club could check to see the moneys in etc? I know it wouldn't be a fully automatic payment system, and it would be a lot of people potentially sending money in a short space of time, but it removes the risk of 'rubber cheques' too.

When I was doing the Warwickshire Scatter I accepted payments into my personal account like this as some people now just don't even have a cheque book!

Quoted from timbancroft61
Gawd, the cheque question raises its ugly head!

Keith is working on this subject at pres., plus updating the website and forum, alot of work. As many know, all CT staff do their CT work in their spare time, we cannot afford full time staff. The RBRR is one of the best events (if I say so myself) and is organised by 5 people doing lots of work in their spare time to ensure that the event lives up to its tradition of offering a top event for Triumph owners.

Hopefully, for the 10CR we should have a automated system.

Please allow us some time to sort things out. Most at CT have full time and demanding jobs.

All I seem to do is apologise for the Club.......get annoyed as time should be spent doing constructive things.

Stop stressing Tim, you need to save your energies for making this the best ever RBRR.

Anyway, it is traditional to moan about having to use cheques.

The guy who runs the Chelmsford MC website has a very simple and effective system for processing online entries, that also allows for updating by the entrants. He uses it for most (if not all now) of their events,

Here is the page for a targa coming up in a few weeks.

http://chelmsfordmc.co.uk/node/4476

link for entry form and link for entry list.

Cheers

Colin

Quoted from thescrapman

Stop stressing Tim, you need to save your energies for making this the best ever RBRR.

Anyway, it is traditional to moan about having to use cheques.

The guy who runs the Chelmsford MC website has a very simple and effective system for processing online entries, that also allows for updating by the entrants. He uses it for most (if not all now) of their events,

Here is the page for a targa coming up in a few weeks.

http://chelmsfordmc.co.uk/node/4476

link for entry form and link for entry list.

Cheers

Colin

Not stressing, just effed off with people being negative. The RBRR is bloody excellent, so why do people have to bellyache: just send in a cheque, rock up to The Plough in October, drive their car around the UK, have fun, and raise some money for a great Charity. Simple.

Jon,

Could just imagine what would happen if I paid 250 (rough number of RBRR entrants) x £100 into my acct, some idiot would immediately suspect a scam and I would be accused off lining my pockets!

All,

Keith will sort out the payment system asap, hopefully in time for the 10CR entry next November.

Surely it has not been too much to ask Entrants to get their cheque book out and send a cheque with their entry form. If the Club's subject was hi tech, cheques in a way would not be appropriate, but we are dealing with old cars here, cheques seem to tie in with that reasoning!

Quoted from timbancroft61

Jon,

Could just imagine what would happen if I paid 250 (rough number of RBRR entrants) x £100 into my acct, some idiot would immediately suspect a scam and I would be accused off lining my pockets!

Well we got away with paying 200 * £300 into one of our accounts when we organised the trips to CLM in 2006 and 2008... 🤔

And he worked for a bank! Perhaps it was because of that we did not get troubled for money laundering?

It was a separate one tied to his details, so it was all traceable I may add.

That was kind of my point, and certainly not intended to be a moan or complaint Tim, I was was just thinking if there was a Club controlled bank account then people could pay directly into it, thus alleviating the need for chasing cheques, or people saying they got lost in the post etc.

I also quite like using my cheque book, it doesn't bother me that much to have to use it.