2016 Charity: Guide Dogs

As many will now be aware, the 2016 RBRR will support the Charity 'Guide Dogs'.

I will sent up a Just Giving header page to enable all RBRR Entrants to go from to form their own Sponsor Pages.

As will have been seen, the RBRR has no raised £510,000.00 for various Chariites, it would be fantastic to get that figure over £600,000.00. 100 entrants would mean that each team would have to raise £900.00, not a difficult figure.

Once entered in the RBRR, expect an email from me!

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk

• 1 month later...

Just read an article in today's (12 Dec) Daily Telegraph about the fact that many major charities spend less than 50% of their income on charitable works. Since one of the charities specifically mentioned is Guide Dogs for the Blind, it would be helpful in our fund raising if we could get an explanation from them.

How much charities spent on charitable activities:-
The Guide Dogs For The Blind Association     64%     Â£101,100,000     Â£56,4

Quite simple, it costs a lot of money to train dogs, something like £50k per dog. I am about to meet up with some blind people who have benefited from the dogs, should be fascinating

I feel no need to ask them for an explanation.

One thing I can tell say is that so far Guide Dogs have been blooming excellent so far. I am about to issue the Just Giving info to all RBRR entrants.

Tim,

Sorry but my question should have been better phrased.

Guide Dogs for the Blind do a very good job, but now this is in the public domain some potential sponsors may be less willing to cough up. A brief explanation with a few facts like the one you quoted would be helpful in persuading any recalcitrant sponsors to come up with the dosh.

Cheers

Howard

I know what you mean Howard - one reason we support the RNLI is that they are very efficient in how much of the money raised goes to their work (or used to).

Bearing in mind Tim's comment about training cost, as multiple dog owners and with our other non car interest being sheep dog trialing (though I don't do it now) we know the enormous amount of time that goes into training and especially for the sort of work that guide dogs do.

How did the Telegraph come up with their figures or was it a stick a wet finger in the air to test the wind sort of research?

MUT

Can i just say that every time I go and meet the Charities that the RBRR will support, my opening question is what percentage of money is taken for admin and overhead purposes. If too much we look elsewhere. There have been a number of Charities that have been mooted for use that we have decided not to support. We generally go to those that are not so well supported or fashionable.

Children with Cancer UK, are a classic example in my mind of the way a Charity should be run, incredibly lean.

Ted quotes the RNLI as a good example of a lean machine. However, they have to spend as they own properties, boats and equipment. Most of their money arrives via legacies, not fund raising. A really good organisation that is not your typical Charity, more of a public service.

• 2 weeks later...

Off for a meeting in a min with Guide Dogs to sort the Just Giving page.

Basically as last time, we will have a CT RBRR home page, to which all entrant's pages will be linked too. The RBRR page will have the some words about the event, some words about Guide Dogs, the listing of RBRR entrants who have set up a donations pade and the current total of pledges.

Hopefully over the next few days, I will send out the link to all entrants to enable them to set up their pages.

So far the event has raised £510,000.00, I would dearly love the event to raise £90,000.00 to push the total over £600,000.00. As I write this the event has 150no entrants and 3 no on the reserve list, 90/150 = £600.00, surely not a big ask for all entrants to attempt to raise? We at RBRR HQ realise that we will get something like 25no withdrawals before the event is run next October, but it would be marvellous to achieve £90,000.00.

• 2 months later...

2 little things
get in touch with your local guide dogs group to let them know what you are doing especially if you are in a decent size work place with potential for good sponsorship as they will probably offer to come down with some dogs and if you have your car down get the local paper also.
We had them at work (GP surgery in august last year) fortuitously i had come in the PI and i let them know i was intending to do the rbrr they were very interested the 2  'blind'guide dog owners came for a feel of the car, one used to be a car salesman the others husband had had classic cars she identified the stag like front of my PI by touch alone.
They have offered to come down for a photoshoot with the paper nearer blast off time.

Sponsorship form, is there one available or one that can be made to print off with the charity details and boxes for gift aid name post code etc required for this as there seem to be some reluctance to use the just giving site where i work due them taking a cut

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Prompted by Howard's comment I did a search for Round Britain Reliability Run on the justgiving website and was surprised to see several entries still coming up for the 2014 event, all mixed up with Guide Dogs pages. The Macmillan references can cause confusion, cannot they be removed?

Tim

It foxed me as well Tim, I linked my page to the Club Triumph RBRR 2016 event when I set it up and thought it was all sorted and only found out it wasn't showing up from this thread. Then after playing with the website I found that the page needs to be linked to the Club Triumph Team as well as the event, not very intuitive TBH...