Last minute my arse. Good grief its still 3 weeks to the thing let, that's like very nearly a whole month. Stripped Stag motor yesterday, block went off for boring in the afternoon. Had two minor frights firstly when our preffered engine bits supplier said no Stag pistons for 3 weeks, bugger. Sorted with a quick call to Rimmers who are holding stock from our preffered engine bits supplier. The next shock came when I called our preffered machine shop to collect block (and a couple of customers blocks for engines I am building) only to be told he was off on holiday tommrow for three weeks. I wouldn't trust to anyone else so it looked like endof, until he promised to work over to sort me out, what a star.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=Dave2000 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1156446328,s=47 date=1158054354]

Yes, but afterwards he just claimed he was getting in early for the 2003 10 Countries Run!!!  ;D ;D[/quote]

10 Countries, 3 days, 22 foot long Herald built in 3 weeks from design penned on back of fag packet after 2 shandys in pub, pah, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Distortion of the facts, Mr Pearson.

Time line was as follows:
Classic and Sportscar November 2000: Dave Pearson: We are going to build a stretched Herald for the 2002 RBRR.
Mid Sept 2002 - Umm, think we had better build a stretched Herald
25/09/02: Done the chassis.
04/09/02 Start of the RBRR: Its ready.
04/09/02 Blythe Services: Its too long, we are dragging its a*se on the floor, the transmission cannot take it. We have to retire, we will be back!
03/09/03 10CR start: The Stretch is in the car park with some dodgy looking Blues Brother types!
05/09/03 Somewhere in the French Alps: The hairpins are a bit tight and Dave, Jason and Craig are growing muscles in their arms! The Stretch finishes the event- memorable moment- seeing the thing being caned on a autobahn near Stuttgart at 100 mph- very stable vehicle.
10/09/03: Back at Canleys: Dave sticks it in the Museum. The vehicle does not see the light of day for 3 years.

The Stretch- Jason came up with the following at the start of the 2003 10CR, nicked from a song by The B.52's: 'Its as big as a whale and its about to set sail' Sums it up eh!

Its always intresting walking round the Plough at the start -just have a look at the Triumph owners hands/finger nails etc usually a good month of grime imbedded deep into the pours,and when you ask "had to do much to get it ready" the answer is nearly always  "no just a last minute service!"

In may case I havent even started the shed in 4 weeks! and I dont intend to do a thing to it! untill the day before the run...

[quote by=ajp25tc link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1156446328,s=58 date=1158276574]Its always intresting walking round the Plough at the start -just have a look at the Triumph owners hands/finger nails etc usually a good month of grime imbedded deep into the pours[/quote]

That's if you have the time to have a look around the car park! The Plought is really just a service halt for those those last minute "nice to have's" - like an alternator, or lights :-)

Not wishing to Jinx my efforts, but 16 years ago (it has taken this long to recover) we were welding a new back wing on to the car on the morning of the event, spraying it in the afternoon, and fittinga duff alternator (don't ask!) at the point when we were supposed to be at the start, which was 60 miles away.....

But then the 2 of us are not known for our punctuality!

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes he mentioned that! I was most.... disturbed. What is the world coming to when you can get am MOT because you have clean wheels! outrageous! would never have happened in my day!

*waves walking stick*

(actually mine got through with a broken headlight, no horn and a super-slack handbrake on friday... sounds like some MOT-ers are still 'reasonable' even after all the computerfication [did i just make up a word?] which is good to know)

time, what time, i'm going sailing for the weekend and leaving my father to reassemble the car for me thanks dad. I got insured today and the mot is on Monday nothing like last minute see everyone friday (my car'll be the one probably with prima all over the wings-hopefully not though) bye ali

I've also heard from Ash. Apparently there is speculation as to whether or not Nigel and I will finish the run still actually talking to each other. Obviously certain people out there know us better than we thought.
If you see one or the other of us thumbing a lift you know we have come to blows over the navigating!

In case anyone would like one.  I will have a few of my local club window stickers if you would like one.  They are the same size as the Club Triumph ones.  Feel free to ask to ask for one.  They say: Capital Triumph Register with the Logo and Va. DC. Md on the bottom.  Just a little something form the Washington, D.C. area of the states.

Got the RBRR blues. Engine f f f f failed last weekend while on Triumph trip to Belgium so have had to withdraw... It was not "sensible" to attempt to change the engine this weekend, but then where does "sensible" come in to the RBRR?? So I got the blues, I'm really going to miss doing the run this year. I'll be there at the start though, just to make sure that the rest of you get sent off OK.  :( :'(

Archived