I'd second transferring it to a map, it certainly helps to make sense of it. One tip though:

When I marked up the map, I thought I'd be clever and use a yellow highlighter. Very snazzy, and easily seen. Trouble is, I took a look at it tonight in the car, and under the map reading light, I can't see the highlighting! At all! ::)

Perhaps I'd better start again.....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try using pen - draw a line parralel to the LEFT of road you're going to be on with occasional arrows indicating direction. (that's what the book "Rally Navigation" suggests)

Pink higlighter works well, but if it's thick can be a bit of an issue obscuring junctions.

Pink or blue highlighter I think is what we used on the last 10CR maps. They seem to be about the best colours to see in the dark. I spent about an hour doing mine last night - I'm at Lands End at the moment, so need to finish that tonight (after Jamie's gone to bed so he don't try and trash the road book !!) :o

[quote by=doug_foreman link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1156446328,s=74 date=1159646521]John if you're still having trouble with the road book by mon bring along to the garwick meet and we'll go through it ...allready put mine onto a map ..much easier[/quote]

Cheers Doug.  I am transferring it to a map so I'll bring it along Monday to make sure I've done it right.

I'm thinking the map I have may be too large a scale; it's the Spiral bound AA Big Road Atlas, 3 miles to 1 inch.  Is that ok? It's fine for most of the roads but the 'small' white roads are not always marked, but then the route is mainly on bigger roads anyway...

John,

Have a look at the Advice Notes that we sent to all entrants- We recommended th AA Motorist's Atlas- 3.95 Miles to 1 inch. Great size as not too big - too big in a GT6 can cause problems.

Also think about making a clipboard- mines 42 x 39cm. Only cost is a bulldog clip. Safe in a prang as well- good forbid.

I was asleep 'till 5.30, then had to go to work in Holborn (took an early shift to knock off early to go straight to the Plough from work), forgot my rail pass, got a #20 fine (can claim it back later! - the fever).

I think I'll be asleep in the back of the car after the first control post.....

(bet you're still awake!)

[quote by=Vinnyfastcar link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1156446328,s=86 date=1160120129]Just noticed the 'map highlighrter pens' bit.

Team 78 has drawn on driver No.1's SAS training and have their map drawn in UV pen, with a black light in the car, Just like Sat Nav (but without the satellite.....or the Nav - but it looks Bling).
[/quote]

Nice idea!

Quite by chance, I came across a similar idea - I couldn't find a decent map light anywhere in town (and I left it too late to mail-order one! ::) ), so ended up buying the next best thing - a chavtastic 'moodlight' thingy with blue LEDs from Halfrauds' Barryboy section (which, to be honest, is half the store these days!).

Not only do they look well wikkid, innit, but they have the nice side effect of making my yellow map highlighting glow in the dark! Good job I didn't use a blue highlighter.....

Of course, time will tell if it works properly or just gives us headaches! :D

RedeyesUK, coool!

Of course our No1 driver further drew on his SAS training and has bolted a light on the end of a fixable flexable spine into the car for a 'normal' map light(looks like it could've been part of a lath at one time?).

It was putting out 55Watts when he installed it.......he's now got a couple of lower wattage buls to try, just in case the 55Watt one actually burns the map.

Spares & tools in the dolly . Car 66 Darren 0780 3044026

I have lost a co driver so I will bring along a few extra bits and pieces.

For anything 1500

35 amp Fuses
Dizzy cap
Bottom ball joint repair kits (well they are only small)
condensers & Wiring *3
big box of nuts and bolts.
spanners (All sizes)
Old spitty loom with various connectors that can be lopped off as req
Gaffer tape
Various new hoses and clips
Cable ties
Start and Charge unit (Battery pack)
Fire extinguisher
Fluids Oil /Anti freeze/ Water/Auto fluid/Brake fluid
Multimeters - very useful in 2004
Timing strobe light (induction pick up)
2 Tonne trolley jack and wheelbrace
Compression tester
Colour tune & carbalencer
Eezi bleed Kit
Torque wrench
Spitfire wheel studs (yes really, someone nearly lost a wheel last time)
Wheel bearing kit
1500 Head Gasket (not for the feint hearted)
Big bag of wire joiners
Ball joint Splitter
and various other crap.

I have done a few jobs on the old uns and have an uncanny knack of being able to get people home (even me). But I would like to get to the various controls on time!

Please ring me if any of the above can get you out of a hole
Hmmmm now where can I put my toothbrush & spare shreddies ?

Darren

Archived