• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=KevinR link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=23 date=1160514440]Ben,
If you think that the green meany will be able to keep up, you obviously havn't been reading about "Vin's Dream" in that other Triumph place that many of us also frequent.[/quote]

I presume there will be an Acclaim with a winch following Vin's car around to tow it out of all the ditches :-D

'cat's chance' - I like it - I see where your going with that - Jagfire!! (Spituar?)

MEeoooowwwww....

All three Acclaimers out performed (or at least matched) Triumph monsters on the twisty roads in Scotlandshire, Wales, and the other twisty place.....

John Davies even remembered he didn't bring his race trailer with him and refrained from creating his own kitty litter ballet (although he did slide out towards the loch in Scotland for me to see the fishees)

straightline speed was academic, difficult to fall off a straight road.

Worst Moments

Weather at Glencoe .. nice waterfalls shame about the mist and rain.rain.rain

Very dodgy overtake by a white stag...Friday night somewhere in very northern England

Overheating on Dartmoor I had to walk up with my son while Gareth nursed her up the hill

Fitting a new condenser at Goodwood in the dark only to short it out on the distributor base and completely lost sense of humour and ability to diagnose ! Thanks to the marshall who immediately sorted the dilemma and got us going again

Crawling home with a misfire every time we slowed down.

1500 Auto new medical term ... gradientaphobia!

But small chips what a great event cant wait for 08

Second worst moment for us was between Gordano and Exeter services, when the oil light starting flickering on at 70mph....
I'd been asleep up until that point but woke up pretty damn smartish, and then we pulled over to find that about 3 litres of oil had gone missing since Gordano.  :o Put some more in and we found that the oil light then went out, so at least we salvaged the bottom end of the engine.  :B However, seeing as I could hear pressure escaping when I lifted the filler cap, we now had a suspected cracked piston ring  :o (I need to run a compression check this weekend coming to confirm / disprove this)

The worst moment, however, came at Tesco's in Penzance when I finally had to call time on our adventures owing to a knackered propshaft UJ which was about to self-destruct.  :'( :'( :'(
I don't think I've ever felt more desolate, inconsolable and sick to the pit of my stomach as I did right at that moment - I've been less bothered about various women walking out of my life over the years. My sympathies also go out to the other crews who had to retire; I now KNOW what you were feeling.
And the final ignomy was having to get relayed home on the back of a low-loader with "Reliability Run" stickers plastered all over the car....  ::)

Second worst moment for us was between Gordano and Exeter services, when the oil light starting flickering on at 70mph....
I'd been asleep up until that point but woke up pretty damn smartish, and then we pulled over to find that about 3 litres of oil had gone missing since Gordano.  :o Put some more in and we found that the oil light then went out, so at least we salvaged the bottom end of the engine.  :B However, seeing as I could hear pressure escaping when I lifted the filler cap, we now had a suspected cracked piston ring  :o (I need to run a compression check this weekend coming to confirm / disprove this)

The worst moment, however, came at Tesco's in Penzance when I finally had to call time on our adventures owing to a knackered propshaft UJ which was about to self-destruct.  :'( :'( :'(
I don't think I've ever felt more desolate, inconsolable and sick to the pit of my stomach as I did right at that moment - I've been less bothered about various women walking out of my life over the years. My sympathies also go out to the other crews who had to retire; I now KNOW what you were feeling.
And the final ignomy was having to get relayed home on the back of a low-loader with "Reliability Run" stickers plastered all over the car....  ::)

Discovering we had a slightly wobbly wheel at Conan Bridge
Using a full tank of fuel between Gordano & Penzance (oops! running a bit rich there methinks! :o )
The nasty misfire we had starting from Fort William and staying with us until the end - apologies to anyone stuck behind us going up a hill!
Getting lost somewhere on the Wales/Herefordshire border, running out of time and with about 30 miles of twisty b roads between us and Hereford
Running low on fuel on the way to Edinburgh, with no petrol stations in sight :B - we breathed a hearty sigh of relief when we got to Jedburgh!

All little niggles though - and it's things like this that make the best stories afterwards!

Listening to the ever worsening UJ's on my driveshafts coming out of lands end.

Really bad by Goodwood, so elected to have a look. OMG, totally destroyed!!

With some very gentle driving, nursed it back to the plough and then home too.  Thanks to Nigel for lending a spare driveshaft just in case one of them let go.

Worst Moment - Having to wait two years to do it all again!!!

This was my first time on the RBRR and I'm hooked. Great people, great roads, great cars and great fun!

Tim, Nigel, all the marshalls did an excellent job.

Just got to do some decorating now so the wife will let me do the 10CR!

[quote by=KevinR link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=14 date=1160509356]WHITE Spit - It's YELLOW, and it only has two seats and the Acclaimers drive as a threesome, so it's not really very practical is it Vin.   :P[/quote]

But if we can implement the six man team idea....
Damn! Me and my big mouth!

Tim,
The point is that the much reviled Acclaim was totally reliable.  And seemed to get  more torque from it's 1335cc than any Spitfire ever did.  Maybe unfair, as all the other Triumphs are doddering oldsters, but there it is.  And this event is about reliability, isn't it?

John

[quote by=JohnD link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=40 date=1160640438]

But if we can implement the six man team idea....
Damn! Me and my big mouth!

Tim,
The point is that the much reviled Acclaim was totally reliable.  And seemed to get  more torque from it's 1335cc than any Spitfire ever did.  Maybe unfair, as all the other Triumphs are doddering oldsters, but there it is.  And this event is about reliability, isn't it?

John[/quote]

MMMMmmmmm - but it's a Honda... famed for their reliability... so not all that surprising...

[quote by=Craig_Bennett link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=37 date=1160594086]Doubtless you'll be back next time along with the rest of us nutters![/quote]

Damn right I will! The pain of admitting we had to give up is starting to fade now, and I'm remembering the good bits. It's just that 2 years seems like a hell of a long time to wait - might do my own RBRR next October, just to see if I can do it  ;D ;D

Thanks for the sympathy Tim, and by the way, have you not seen the PM I sent you a couple of days ago, or just not got round to replying?? ::)

No, James, it's a T-R-I-U-M-P-H.
Say after me, Tri-umph.
Now quickly, Triumph!
Not too quick for you?

Seriously, I denigrated the Acclaim, but I'm a convert now.
I came to mock, but stayed to worship!
Parked alongside a Herald, you can see (I can see) it is a very appropriate update, in style and content, for the same market.
And sharing designs is a very modern tendency - eg The PRV, Peugot/Renault/Volvo engine partnership, lots of shared floor pans across European makers.
John

Archived