Oh ok... so no just some last-ditch attempt at H-E-G-E-M-O-N-I-S-M by the ailing Triumph company?

(i have to admit I had to look up your work Vinny.. for about 5 mins I was trying to understand where pasturisation came into it, then I corrected my spelling, and saw the light)

Ok I'm going to bed... still don't agree with it... *mumbles some truculent remarks and lopes off*

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=Vinnyfastcar link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=47 date=1160692343]No No No...you pronounce the inevitable perfection of engineering leap of Triumph evolution with the universal appraisal of H-O-M-O-G-I-N-I-S-A-T-I-O-N........[/quote]

But Vin, that spells:
Tipoelote  ???
Does the other thing stand for:
Honda? Oh My God I Never Imagined Such A Triumph! Oh, Nickers!

John

Hutch, you wouldn't be eluding to sour milk would you? :-) (sour grapes pasturisation?) - but you beat us?

I have deduced that in order to do the rbrr in the 'most efficient reliable time frame' (it's not a race) you nee to leave the plough as late as possible, get signed at Goodwood as soon as possible, then have a cunning plan to The Plough.

Doh! there goes my next strategy...

[quote by=KevinR link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=11 date=1160501723]Best bit had to be on the B873 in Scotland when Car 28 - White GT6 MKIII, pulled over to let us pass - he rapidly became a spec in the rear view mirror :)[/quote]

I think you forgot the bit when you (nearly) tried to find out the floating abillities of an Acclaim in Loch Naver (B871). Still don't know why you hesitated :P

That was a bit of a sideways moment wasn't it, although some might say that we were testing its off road capabilities. Shortly afterwards, I seem to remember reminding JohnD that the rear seat passenger (me) wasn't wearing a seat belt (or a life jacket).
That was a fantastic bit of road - there are some photos of your car in my album at fotopic.net http://kevin-rochfort.fotopic.net/c1107459.html

As an aside, if the rumours about BMW launching a new Triumph model are true, (they own the rights to the name) how would everyone feel about one taking part in an RBRR ?

Kevin, cheers for the photos!

btw, I wasn't pushing it at all on that road. Just taking it easy (but still quick) in 3rd gear. The moment I changed down to second and really went for it the Acclaim quickly disappeared from us.  :P

So I'm awfully sorry to ruin your best motoring moment, as I let you pass because we needed to stop for a pee  ;D

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=57 date=1160946324]New Triumph on the RBRR.

If BMW build one, I don't know- it would be a bit easy in one eh![/quote]

Especially if it's like the new Mini. I used to have a BMW Mini (and my missus has also got one now) One of the new Mini clubs we are in do a Charity Round Britain event but it's over several days and done as a relay rather than having any cars completing the whole run plusovernight stops in hotles. Far too easy and no real challenge.

See:-

http://www.mini2.com/forum/uk-ireland-event-planning-discussion/34876-round-great-britain-run-were-off.html?highlight=Round+Britain+Run

I did manage to get a couple of the members of this and one of the other new Mini clubs to sponsor me in the GT6 though for the CT RBBR, I think they were rather impressed that I was doing the whole journey in one car, let alone a 35 year old one!

I wish people would stop knocking the Acclaim. It IS a Triumph whatever you may think. They kept the name going that little bit longer and, consider this, it's a well equiped, reliable, front-wheel drive 1300 with twin carbs. Remind you of anything ? (hint, think Triumph, 1960's). Oh, and let's not forget the 'interesting' handling in the wet  ;) I had one a few years ago, 25,000 trouble free miles in 16 months. I sold it to a mate who did another 60,000 in the following 12 months (133,000 and still going strong). I always felt that they at least embodied the spirit of Triumph, the sort of car that would have come out of Canley if Triumph was still an independent company.

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=57 date=1160946324]New Triumph on the RBRR.

If BMW build one, I don't know- it would be a bit easy in one eh![/quote]

But in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's there were lots of new Triumphs entered in the RBRR, so what is wrong with a modern new one ?

New Triumph: Surely the car will be nothing more than a badge engineered BMW/Mini. BE was never a thing that afflicted Triumph apart from the Acclaim.

I imagine some Triumph Clubs would welcome 'New Triumph' cars/owners with open arms, I feel there would be some resistance amongst the older Triumph owners.

RBRR: Not sure on the CT stance on letting NT into the event if it happens.

I am convinced that BMW will not introduce a Triumph.

For it to be challenging for a new psudo-triumph it would have to be a 10000 mile trip... no even that's nothing. Whats the service interval on a modern?

In the 60's, 70's is was still a challenge, and don't forget that when the run was first dreamed up people still did mini-services before they traveled 200 miles, let alone 2000.

A new triumph will be treated and viewed in the same way that classic beetle owners regard the new beetle. Well done kevin for diverting attention from the acclaim... I'm now all wound up about a 'new' triumph! :D

WHY CANT THE MONEY GRABING GITS JUST LEAVE IT BE!?

Getting to the Plough and finding that the car I spent weeks and laods of ££££ had a defective (new) driveshaft, and there was no way it would get around, :( still at least I got to go around the the 2000 estate, which I have to say my team wanted to do it in.
I have a feeling they doing the voodoo bit sticking pins in a model herald ;)

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=68 date=1161000178]and the pleasure of driving with other Triumphs albeit not in a convoy.[/quote]

Difficult to put into words but I understand now  :)

I followed xyz and another Spit for roughly five or six miles when I left Conon Bridge to head home after marshalling and I have to say I got a tremendous buzz out of even that relatively short stint  :)

It goes without saying that 2008 can't come soon enough now... :D

Yes, there's something about the cameraderie of a convoy, no matter how big it is.

I really enjoyed the RBRR, but I especially liked being in convoy with the Herald of Katie and GT6 of Doug.  Sharing the trials and tribulations of the various cars problems en route made the event even better for me!!  It's what the event is all about, apart from anything else.

*strikes chest* sniff, it gets you right here. :P

I don't mind you picking on the Acclaimers  - we set ourselves up for a bit of banter and fun!

But what's this about 'new Triumphs won't be welcome'?
Anyone who has been to the MG International at Silverstone will have seen that every single MG is welcome in the MG clubs, from original Morris Garages products to bankrupt stock sold from the closed doors of the Longbridge factory.  Why is it that while MG sticks together, Triumph breaks up into seperate factions, and some seek to manufacture another apartheid when a 'new' Triumph is even mentioned?

We should welcome anything with Triumph on the bonnet, if nothing else because our cars will be worth a little bit more if the marque's name is better known.

John

John,

I did not say that a new Triumph would not be welcome, CT would have to think the whole thing out as it would make obviously change the Club. Of course in some ways it would be a shot in the arm of the Triumph scene.

Personally speaking I am not a fan of the BMW Mini, mainly as it seems to be a caricuture of the little old Mini. However I do not agree with the Anti New Mini comments one sees stated by people who like the original Mini, seems a bit narrow minded.

Archived