The new Mini is quite a nice car from the outside - but really it's bloody awful.

Harsh ride, it rattles, interior bits fall off etc etc

Anybody who thinks its a good _modern_ car needs to see beyond the brand! They really are rather unimpressive! Totally underwhelmed by my mothers - I've borrowed it for a couple of weeks before.

If you want a car that has aharsh ride, rattles etc - buy an old car!

As to new Triumphs... well ok... but I doubt you'd see many entered in to the RBRR? Hardly a challenge for a modern... it would be a bit of a p$$take to see new Triumphs arrive everywhere first - and the drivers to be fresh as anything - whilst the "real" Triumph drivers are totally knackered...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the MGs are accepted  as they were thought of as "more british" than the BMW MINI
Look at the mad MGS they turned out from the ST section, 700 bhp rover estates?! (salt lake car) the two fire support vechicles-I saw those up at Safety Devices getting fitted out when I was having the shopping car roll cage fitted for the 2001 world cup rally
The "mustang" engined rover-A mate has just bought one says its great fun!

Now if BMW knocked out a few limitted  runs of cars like that and named them Triumph I would welcome them!

Back to RBR - 2000 miles in 48 hrs in any car is no cake walk even if the car is modern and reliable,throw in 40 year old cars and its a Challenge it has got to be one of the toughest endurance events in the classic car calandar

Ive done 9,000 miles in 18 days in a modern shopping car across rough terrian -Morroco etc(50+ tests) and the RBR still matches up to that ,mainly as you dont have an ovenight halt!

So anyone who takes part, gets involved in loves the cars should feel very proud of themselves

At the Ashburton stop some friends met me, they are in many classic clubs and have taken part on lots of rallys etc they commented on what a great event and  club we have ,very friendly,no snobbery,geat cars lots of different standards -think that was a dig at my shed!-
Really there is no "worst moments" it all adds up to a great event mainly due to the people!

Andy,

Gotta agree with your last two points.

If BMW made a Triumph in the vein of the say the M3- what a car that would be, however I feel it will be some pastiche.
If they make a Triumph I would love it to have a nice 2.0litre sixpot that loves to rev, with modern multi point injection and programmable ignition and of course rear wheel drive- that would be some car.

I know I am a GT6 fan, but I cannot help but think that Triumph had something there with the mk1,2 and 3 and more development/evolution and the car would have been a world beater. I suppose the safety and emissions legislation that America threatened was the death knell of this type of car- a real shame.
I wonder how good the TR7 would have been say a hundred kilos lighter and the 16V lump in from the start- some car eh!

Hey Ralph Nader for President eh!

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=76 date=1161119461] ... I wonder how good the TR7 would have been say a hundred kilos lighter and the 16V lump in from the start- some car eh! ... [/quote]

I am working on a diet for 't Kreng  8)

"Sly pop"
Could be worse.
Recent post on TRR MsB, from new member, in it's entirity, no editing:

"Received my first copy of the magazine [traction] today.
It is SO great not to have to read about Heralds and Toledos!!"

I'm afraid I let him have both barrels, for ruining my pleasure at seeing in that same issue of TRaction,  a Herald convertable on the front cover, a GT6 as the lead picture for an article on the Lakes Tour, another article about the 10CR, plus a picture including a Spitfire for the Race Championship report.  Evidence, I thought,  that the clubs are beginning to speak to each other.

John

Spot on John.

i thought it was great of the TR Reg. to include Chris' 10CR article in the latest issue.

More Inter-Club activity and understanding can only make the Triumph scene stronger.

There will always be fools who think the only real Triumphs are the TR range.  Reminds me of the comment by a TR fan at Malvern to me as Idrove past in the 2.5, he leant in and  asked me where my caravan was! I suppose its funny, but still I rather fancy a 2.5Pi could show most of the chassis TR range a clean set of heels on anyroad that has a few undulations etc. ( Bet I get shot down for this one)

Personally I can't see why people can't respect other peoples choices. I personally prefer the 'small chassis Triumphs; Vitesse, Heralds, GT6 and the like. I understand that other people will prefer the TR range, or the Big 6 saloons... I don't have a problem with their choice.

I realise alot of what goes on is usually 'banter', but if you say something, at the end of the day, you do mean it, or think it.

Actually, I love all Triumphs, the one I like the least out of the post war cars is probably the TR7, but that's because I don't do wedge shapes, I prefer a brick or tear-drop... Nothing wrong with the 7's mind...

John, Have just read said thread in TR forum all I can say is well said that man!
Reading on from where you stepped in, they are a bunch of bloody snob
s, they drive cars which cost just a fraction more than ours when new, and now by virtue of other bloody snobs considered to by 4-5 times more valuable!?!
Half of then have what amounts to a tractor engine in, the others have the very SAME engine that many of us do!

As for the member who deems heralds/toledos not worth saving. Remind him that the excellent sales of these cars bankrolled the production design of his TR.

To suggest a herald isn't worth saving is ridiculous, it was one of the biggest selling cars of it time!

I would rather take the 15k they ask for a TR5, shove 5 grand up his a**e and buy a mint GT6 and 2.5pi!

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8486

John, Have just read said thread in TR forum all I can say is well said that man!
Reading on from where you stepped in, they are a bunch of bloody snob
s, they drive cars which cost just a fraction more than ours when new, and now by virtue of other bloody snobs considered to by 4-5 times more valuable!?!
Half of then have what amounts to a tractor engine in, the others have the very SAME engine that many of us do!

As for the member who deems heralds/toledos not worth saving. Remind him that the excellent sales of these cars bankrolled the production design of his TR.

To suggest a herald isn't worth saving is ridiculous, it was one of the biggest selling cars of it time!

I would rather take the 15k they ask for a TR5, shove 5 grand up his a**e and buy a mint GT6 and 2.5pi!

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8486

I couldn't agree more Jim. Any car of the Triumph brand is worth saving.

Is there a chance I could have a penny of the £15k you talk about and make him eat it? Think of the pain.

Actually it does upset me that in the quite small world of Triumphs that people think like that...

Still, I've experienced a fair bit in 'the other club' (TSSC)... it was along the lines of "Oh, you're only 17/18/19? You're too young, come back in 20 years time." I realise that respect is earned and not given, but some lot are rediculous!

Still, Club Triumph seems much friendlier :)

Snobbery exists in every walk of life. I didn't buy my car because of what other people may think of it. I bought it because I wanted it. I also don't consult a committee when buying a new pair of shoes to make sure certain age group or people with a large income support my choice.

Anyone who chooses to insult my choices based on their arrogant snobbery or "small penis" syndrome can sod off.

;)

Hmm, I'll have to remember the theory of the small penis syndrome.

No offence to anyone, but I've always put the small penis syndrome on people who drive 4X4s for no reason, ie, Chelsea Tractors... BMWs, Mercs etc, is that cuz they drive like idiots alot of the time, or is it because they have an expencive car?

Although, as I wouldn't swap my Herald for another car in the world (save a very very nice GT6 maybe) I think it's probably the first of the two!

"Chelsea tractors" is normally reserved for women on the school run using 4x4's. So I guess small penis syndrome works there as well. ;D

I just use it when I feel like someone is over-compensating on something. Like when I saw those people dismissing anything but a TR. Could call it an inferiority complex. As in they dictate to you that everything they have is better than what you have, because it's theirs. They're deeply worried that something of theirs isn't the bestest best thingy in the world. Because they'll feel deflated if it wasn't. So they try to belittle other people to make themselves feel better.

Same thing happens when you see two kids fighting other which is better, Playstation or Xbox. Some people need to feel that they're always right. And to always be right everyone else must be wrong. In short, narrow mindedness.

I could go on for hours but then you'd see too deeply into my weird little mind. ;)

Still, it is a good thing that people like that exist. Sometimes you can have great fun with them.
;D

How true Ferny, how true. What I cannot understand is someone who owns and actually uses a classic car of whatever flavour can still be anal enough to dis other people because they are driving something other than their own particular fancy.
Me? If I see anyclassic on the road I will try and acknowledge them in whatever vehicle I happen to be driving; a wave , flash of the lights, a thumbs up at the lights. I simply cannot understand the snobby element of our fraternity and never will probably. Still, each to their own, I am just glad that I am a member of a Club That Does! and I have never met anyone yet in Club Triumph who is in the least bit poncy about their car / club / events.

Ferny is right, there will always be people who have their noses in the air. However they are the exception.
Most of the people I have met in the TR Reg. are nice guys with nice cars. I think it is true to say that the Triumph scene is becoming more unified, this will become more and more apparent as the cars become rarer.

Its interesting when CT attends a car show and when we are building a stand, you get to meet personel from the other Triumph clubs, we all get along famously. A couple of years ago there was an untrue rumour doing the rounds that CT and the TSSC did not get along. This was rubbish as at the NEC show and Stoneleigh at that time the two clubs had been helping each other construct their stands and load each others vans.

I look forward to more Inter-Triumph club activity.

Of course the RBRR is a Inter- Triumph Club event- loads of car club members represented amongst the huge entry:
TR Register
TSSC
Tri 2000/2500 Reg.
TR Drivers Club
Triumph Dolomite Club
Club Triumph Eastern
Club Triumph Holland
Swedish Triumph Club (Not sure of the name)

[quote by=Burnerboy link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=88 date=1161477188]
Me? If I see anyclassic on the road I will try and acknowledge them in whatever vehicle I happen to be driving; a wave , flash of the lights, a thumbs up at the lights.[/quote]

There he is again, that odd fella with the twitch driving around the Armley gyratory. :-D

[quote by=Greeks link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160474728,s=90 date=1161554834]There he is again, that odd fella with the twitch driving around the Armley gyratory. :-D[/quote]
Driving? I normally only manage walking pace round there. I'll wave to most classics I like, especially if I'm driving one at the time

I have experienced snobbery in the TSSC, as mensioned in my previous post, although it didn't put me off. It put me off that particular person though.

I see a red Dolly round Coventry, I seem to remember that it's got a Cossy engine in or something rediculous. Whenever I see another Triumph, or any classic, I always acknowledge it, although sometimes (usually if it's the more expencive cars, Healeys etc) I don't get much back.

In fact the friendliest group I've found so far in the classic world are VeeDub owners... maybe they're just high all the time :D

Oh, and the hot-rodding fraternity loved my Herald at the Billing Show... maybe because it looked very tatty and sounded even tattier due to running on two cylinders and an empty radiator?

JJ,
I had to read back to find what had offended the TSSC about you - I am amazed it was your age!
As an old f*rt around Triumphs, it's a worry to me that there are so few 'young people' who own them, when a classic, esp. a Spitfire, used to be a cool alternative.  My son was voted to have the 'Coolest Car in the Carpark' when he had a Spitfire in the sixth form, less than 10 years ago.
Cool, cheap and fun.  What more could a 'young person' want?

Perhaps like other things in life that you can do as you get older, the older you are the more you resent that fact that maybe you can't any more?

John

I too was recognised as having the coolest car in the car park at 6th form... usually the dirtiest, most sideways, best smelling and best sounding car at 6th form as well :D

I remember when I first got the thing and went to 6th form in it, there was only one other person in 6th form that drove and he had a Pug 106 or some such... he drove out of the car park with his 'mates'... about 1/3rd of a mile down the road in the countryside I went straight past him... he just couldn't keep up! Still brings a smile to my face, just coming back home, opening the garage door a crack and seeing the Herald.

I know a few young people into Triumphs. My most bestest friend ever has 2 Dolly Sprints. unfortunately his Dad moved to Germany and took them with him. They were also completely scrap, the point is though, that he likes his Triumphs! Also alot of my friends who don't drive like the Herald, and the Spitty / GT6 and wish to have one, but money is always a factor these days.

Then there's Matt, Brummie Dave's son, with his Dolly 1500 doing the RBRR this year.

I have been told that I was probably the youngest Herald driver in many years, having the car at 16, and driving it at 16 (on my provisional).

I have also 'converted' a friend from his modern Jap-boxes to Triumphs, although it's a shame about what he wants to do to a Herald Convertible.

Another thing that offended me about the TSSC was that they wouldn't talk to me, but they would talk to my girlfriend. And when I say talk to her, I mean talk to her breasts. It wasn't a particularly pleasent trip out that evening, hence, I shall be joining CT at the Classic Car Show with any luck!

Archived