Adam,

£2096 to insure?

October isnt the deadline - entry closes some time the next year - so you do have a while really.

As for not catering for the Dolomite - well we do - but obviously not as much as a Dolly Club. But then you have to question why you think they cater for you more? Surely it just comes down to tech support? Of course everyone is in to their Dolomites in the TDC... but is that what a club is about?

Personally I don't even think about what cars my Triumph friends have - that's not really the reason I joined. We are all just out to have fun and meet up and chat about stuff.

The mag is filled with stories and information relating to all the Triumphs. It doesnt matter that I read about someone doing an autotest in a TR7... or an article about a night rally in an Acclaim... whatever - it's all about the people and enjoying our cars.

No way would I want to join a Spitfire club - my, my that would be so boring!

Got to think about what a club actually does - CT is the club that does!

James

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam , if this club doesn't really cater for dolomite owners why are you here ?[not sure that comes over the right way but its' not meant nastily]
This club doesn't really mind what triumph you own ,the fact that you own one and want to use it is the important thing.
if the club didn't have some member only things then there would be no need for the club to exist ,but you're right to prioratise your spending if money's tight ,if it means joining the club or getting the dolly on the road ,get the dolly on the road and join when the cashflow is better .
I joined the club soley to do the 2000 rbrr but then by meeting the people decide to stay a member and now my sixteen year old daughter is a member and competing in my car as well

Adam,

If you dig Triumphs, this is the club for you. I can only echo Doug's comments.

The RBRR will be run next year during the first weekend of October.

Costs will be about£50-60 entry per person. Fuel will amount to £200 - 250. Then add about £50 for snacks- the entry fee does include two brekkies, + snacks at some of the stops. Also the Triumph Dolomite Club does provide some grub at the Corbridge stop- very welcome it is as well- organised by Mark McLean- the TDC treasurer- also CT member and RBRR stalwart.

After todays shi*e you have just gotta do things- who knows whats around the corner!

Adam,

Who have you tried with insurance?

Have you tried Footman James? http://www.footmanjames.co.uk/

(if you havent - and its cheaper - I expect you to join up ASAP! ;D)

Entry to the RBRR closes May or so next year? I think that's when I entered anyway... assuming that all the places havent been filled up by then! There are limited spaces...

James

James,

Still only 17  :P  You have to be over 25 to get on there classic policies and over 21 for there modern car policy

Its a real pain, we're gonna re-register the car in my dads name so we can get the insurance down to a more managable yet legal £830 with norwich union

Oh the joys of being young  ;D

Adam

Adam - Have you spoken to them? Unless they've changed their policy then that's just not true! Who told you that?

I know someone who is 20 and has a FJ policy... I was 19 when I took out mine... know someone else who is 18 - and Sazberry (17?) phoned them up and got a cheap policy too.

I am 23 at the mo and have a policy... over 25? Footman James insurance - we are talking about the same company?

James

It says on there website!  :P

Dont worry Ive crunched my car in to a garage today so everythings gotta wait!  Hit it about 5 mph as I tottaly screwed something up.  Im really unsure to what actually happend...  I either slipped off the wheel, locked the wheels up or forgot to continue turning the front end of the car....

Casualties include,
drivers side wing  (turned out to be rather full of rust!)
bottom of front pannel
front bumper
light surround

Fortunatly I still have the front end of my old dolly 1300 so thats a God send!

Adam

I've found that Peter Best are good if you are a little older (Im pretty sure their policy is over 21) and you have a garage.

Alas last time I phoned up they wouldnt insure me... no garage and in a high risk area.

Maybe I should try again this year :)

All goes to show you though - got to call around based on your own circumstances.

Every insurer ueses the same rating system but some are more cautious/ruthless than others - all these names being banded around are brokers and although they have access to all insurers they don't usually seek quotes off many. They have their favourites - high commissions, easy paperwork, best lunches, etc - the actual underwriting companies - aka The Insurance Companies rate according to claims experience and corporate policy. For instance, years ago Commercial Union would not insured motorbikes unless you already had a "connection" - ie you father was insured with CU or you have a car, home, etc insured with them - yet when they did quote they were great!
Every Insurer is slightly different and despite the costs in putting on new business they all treat existing policyholders like crap - there's no loyalty in insurance, show around every renewal if you really want the best deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I too can recommend Peter Best if you're young ish - I'm 23 and paid £212 this year for 5k, fully comp. You even get the same european breakdown cover that you get with the TSSC / Footman James..... Mind you, I've probably spent most of the money I saved on new bits for the car by now!!!

• 1 month later...

Just finished writing the RBRR article for the November issue of Club Torque- this has to be submitted to Q before 15th October.
Gotta do the entry form, get amongst sorting the TAP with the MSA and going to talk with the Charity. Cannot wait to get fully engrossed in the event.

Really looking forward to the work involved in such a worthwhile event. The best thing is when the entries start arriving. We will increasing the entry numbers this time, unfortunately the entry cost will have to go up a bit- not gonna be earth shattering!
I have already started to receive calls from CT members who are interested already, one from a guy in Cumbria, who is going to build a Spitfire for the event!

Martin and Jim,

Once the 10CR is over, I will be speaking to Nigel Abdullah- our route mastermind- and meeting him to discuss the route. Because of the TAP, we will need to get the route finalised before xmas, usually we do not plan this until Feb/March.
So it will be really useful to talk to Jim (Scottish) and AJP (Cumbria) about the new bits to get the route up to 2000 miles during late Sept. I think Andy is fairly sorted as his section is only a minor detour, once I have obtained his mileage I can then ask you Jim, to come up with your proposals which should total 50 mile- less AJPs (approx. 15 miles) = 35 miles.

So hold fire at pres.chaps. I also need to go and meet Simon Fowler of the MSA and discuss the event, not sure if he is familiar with it. Luckily the MSA offices are 3 miles from Staines!

The other really important thing to do is to meet the Charity people and organise the printing of the Sponsor Forms, these must be done before 'Club Torque' November issue publication. Thinking about late Sept.
Blimey- its gonna get hectic!

Ta,

Tim.
Off for a curry and some beers now!

• 2 weeks later...

All,

The RBRR dates are Friday 06/10/06 to Sun 08/10/06. Start at 19.00 on the Fri., finish at 19.00 on the Sun.

Entry will be a maximum of 90 Triumph cars (How will we get 90 cars into the the car park at The Plough?).
Main entrant must be a member of Club Triumph.
Entry cost will be £60 per person.
Mileage will be 2000 miles.
Route:Crews Hill- Blythe- Edinburgh-JOG-Stirling-Oswestry-Bristol-Lands End- Bournemouth-Chichester-Crews Hill.
Entry opens on approx. 15/11/05 (November issue of mag.)and closes on Saturday 23/09/06.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived