• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me and libby are in!
Lets hope we can finish this time....
Now do we take the new rusty Stag (which hasnt quite got an MOT yet and seems to do about 10MPG) or wait for Libby to save enough money to buy a GT6.... or just take the Faithful Herald (just passed its MOT with no work needed)......
Mike.

Just a thought, and I know it has been mentioned before, but could you not double the entry by running a second 100 cars the opposite way round. Won't overload any stop as they would be used in the opposite order, and everybody could make suitable hand signals as they pass on the M6.

Just a thought.

Colin

I don't think such a thing could work not least because part of the capacity thing is organisational - having enough marshals and volunteers to do what's needed at daft hours of the day. Some holding pen near the Plough might work to releive the parking issue - but what to do about the food stops?

Jeez Colin, You don't want for much!

The event is great as it is and I think would suffer if a 50% spilt was used. Leaving The Plough to go c/w would mean getting to LE at say 01.00 on Sat morn and theefore 01.00 at JOG the next morn. Surely the main attraction of the event is that all the cars run together and teams get to see each other.
I struggle to get Marshals, cannot see how I would find another load.

RBRR takes up alot of the organisers teams time up, we have already been working on this event for months, I for one do not have anymore time to give. Owing to the rush on places, Jason and me more or lost all the last w'end, I don't begrudge that fact as its a great event and car club, however I cannot give any more time.

Besides, I am not sure that many more wish to take part.

I have noticed that one or two are questionning the fact that Tim Hunt got no.1 and James C got 69 again. Tim gained that place fair and square, maybe he is just a lucky guy? James' place was given to him, he got a different no. but we moved him up the listing to 69 as he always has that no. I see no problem with that as he gives alot of his time to this Club and has done his fair share.

Tim's entry was truly the one I opened first, no outward sign it was Tim's and I know people are precious about No1 so I was careful not to "fix" that one.
James' was fixed, I think he should have been in th emid 70's or something like that and so I figured as he does so much for the club then he could have his lucky number.
I took 13 as I thought no one would want it and I didn't want anyone complaining.
I really need to figure out a way of selling numbers next time! I was surprosed that no one considered making a donation to get a specific number - I can easily be bribed for charity

We're working on it Rumpith :-)

I have a few more reserve entries rolling in, at this rate the reserve list will be full. I probably won't be able to process them all and publish until the weekend but as soon as I can I will.

To anyone on the reserve list, I won't bank your cheque until such time as we know you're on the running list. With places now so scarce, if anyone is dubious about their entry please let me know ASAP, we can use any withdrawn entries immediately!

Thanks

Tim,

You are right, the event is great as it is.

As you so eloquently pointed out, I had put no thought into my idea what-so-ever.

:-)

I was just trying to offer a light at the end of the tunnel that is RBRR2010 for the unlucky crews this time, but it looks like it has been cruelly snuffed out before it ever had chance to shine it's self.

You could at least have let them all down gently..... :-)

Perhaps the places should be auctioned for 2010. Would certainly help the charity collection.

Everyone sends an entry cheque and a separate bribe cheque, and a justification in less than 50 words as to why they should get a place.

Actually that might just work for say 5 places. Take the first 95, then put the rest into the competition.

We could hold an anonymous on-line poll for the last 5 places by judging the begging letters.

Cheers

Colin

p.s If I hadn't secured a place, I would have offered to be a marshall somewhere, or at least offered myself as 'rent-a-scary-driver'

I think Jason, Tim & Team have enough to do without worrying about auctions and having to trawl through begging letters.

Although I haven't been on a RBRR, I did help marshall at the Plough at the last one. You can judge by being there, the enormous amount of work put in by these guys.

If you start making the entry too complicated people will simply lose interest.

However, I think a donation to the charity for a particular number is a good idea as long as it doesn't create a headache for the organising team.

By the time some of the crews have dropped out, I expect everyone who wants to take place will do so.

Thankyou Jason & team for getting the entry list out so quick..............saved me listening to Davids toe tapping for too long!!!!

Julie

Have had some pleading emails with entry forms and a few calls from some worried "regulars" today so I'm expecting a bumper bundle of forms tomorrow - I'm therefore expecting the reserve list to be full by midday tomorrow! This is truly exceptional and not a bit like I expected it to be! Presents me with an admin problem as we are still working on the database that we wanted to use to administer all this!

Just a couple of thoughts on this.....

Is it really essential the event starts at the plough? I know this place has a lot of club history for the london guys and fully respect that, but as we can all see the huge demand for this event means we cannot fit all cars into the car park. There are lots of bigger car parks about!

I realise also that marshalls around the event must be difficult to organise, especially if the event was to double. But even if you opened it up to say 150 cars and had a reserve list of 30-40 somehow with some changes it could cope surely?

I take my hat of to the organisers, it must have been a very stressfull if exhilarating and satisfying week, well done!

Ash.

Looks like people are voicing their opinions in abundance so i'll exercise my right to add mine!

1) Tim's support for the RBRR and the club generally is first rate so I wouldn't have any problem in him being given the No. 1 slot every time. It's like an honorary thank you.

2) If James put's the effort into the club and he entered quite legitamately why not let him have No. 69.

3) Although I don't know all of the organising team personally, I'm sure they've bust a gut to give us the event for 2008. Once again, those who put the work in get to say what's going to happen.    Guys if you need more help, I'll put my hand up and volunteer to help. Let me know.

Rather than try and solve the entry numbers problem now why not make a statement that nothing further will decided until after Xmas. Then get the opinions and ideas discussed in the bleak January when things have died down a bit and the organising team have had a breather. It does seem a shame that the club can't accept entries from anyone who joins the club between now and next Autumn, but the practicalities would need to be overcome before more entries could be accepted.

Sorry - had to get that off my chest.

Nick J.  

Been talking to a seasoned RBRR man this evening and he warned me about letting the event become too big.

He takes part in Mini (car) run every year and when he first took part that had 50 entrants, its now up to 300 and he feels that all the camarderie of the event is gone. No one stops to help stricken crews, its all about me, me and me! Something to take note of.

This ties into my thoughts, any larger than the no. we have in mind this time will bring around the end of the RBRR.

I have chatted with some wise old sages within the Club and have got some good ideas about the 2010 event. I think it is fair to say that we have been caught off guard this time, still after 40 years of an event one does not expect such a fundamental change, so I feel that we can be excused.
One thing I am pleased about is that I took the oppurtunity o getting Jason involved, I think I would have been up **** creek without a paddle without him involved- nice one Jase!

Colin,

I apologise if I came over a bit heavy handed and was a bit crude, I genuinely have been attempting to think of all the Club Members who take part in this event and I really wish for all CT members to have a go at the event as it is terrific. So thoughts that have been on attempting to ensure that everyone gets a crack at the event.

I liked your comment about Marshaling, we need quite a few, so anyone who has not entered and would like to be involved, please do contact me. Ctte member Steve Waddingham who has not been able to enter this year is keen to be involved and has stated that he would love to Marshal at The Plough and possibly at Chirk, near Oswestry- this is great, any more?

Archived