• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

willows40 wrote:
i wouldn`t of had one if it wasn`t for my accident always had vitesse or herald but the 2000 was the easiest for me and now wish i had got one before

I understand your position fully Andy, looks like you drove a fair way through the RBRR, good on you, No I dont want to buy your saloon before you ask again ;D, and no you cant have my engine for the dolly ;D

I think Willows has hit the nail on the head.
So many people regret not getting one earlier,I use my 2000 much more than I used my spit...or at least since the spit ceased being my daily driver.
Although I still dont want to part with my spit.....

Rust_Restorer wrote:

Dont disagree, good car, just curious as to how many would normally be driving a Spit/GT6/herald/Vittesse for their normal driving, and just  got the big saloon for the run.

When I was 17 (15 years ago!) I wanted a 2000 as my first car.  My parents put me off as they remembered 2000s as being expensive executive cars and reckoned running one as a 1st car would be madness.

In fact nowadays, as in 1993, 2000s can be run on a shoestring. Lots of people I speak to have owned smaller Triumphs and simply can't get their heads around this fact.  As I say, anyone with any sense knows the truth........ :)

Rust_Restorer wrote:

I understand your position fully Andy, looks like you drove a fair way through the RBRR, good on you, No I dont want to buy your saloon before you ask again ;D, and no you cant have my engine for the dolly ;D

andy
there is a 2.5 pi on ebay at the moment in aylsham starting price £600 so if you buy my dolly then i could afford it,its an auto as well but wendy has put her foot down and said 5 is enough

I did the last one in a Acclaim.  This one in Dolomite.  Next, don't know.  Most important to me is a comfey car you feel good driving.  While the 2000's have more room and a larger engine I found the 2 cars I have used had ehough power and speed to suffer no problems with the roads or time.  Those who saw DollyRoo know she can GO down the road.  While handling is important in your choice the trade off is how many in your crew and your comfort level.  After this year their is something to be said about having a enclosed watertight dry car!  Nice that boot did'nt leake!   Simple just pick the car you want and keep it in good shape.

Will I do the next one?  I do not know.  Would like to? Yes.  Will I still have DollyRoo? For now.  Will I buy anouther car?  Not if the wife finds out.  That leaves time and money.  We will see.

"It's not a race" ..........YEAH RIGHT!!!!!  Who was 1st back at the Plough?

You don't have to spend a lot of time on motorways at 3 - 4am to realise that driving while tired is extremely dodgy.  Lorries weaving all over the place, I saw one guy drive up the embankment recently 'cos he thought it was his junction..!

I've done loads of overnight trips, here and abroad.  Best thing you can do is pull over for a short rest / sleep if you do start to get tired.

sorbs wrote:

Don't know, who cares?

There's no prize for first and no kudos.

Heck I am one of those competitive types and in 4 RBRRs where I finish in a running order is of no importance, just being in the event and finishing it is what it's all about.

And as  a marshall this year I would not and did not sign anyone's raodbook before the due time so there was no benefit to anyone racing in to get it signed and race off again.

In fact it was all very relaxed at Lancaster - no screaming tyres, no revving engines, no rushing about. There was plenty of milling about and chatting going on as well as crews sat around having a coffee and taking in the atmosphere.

If anyone does want to do some competitive driving there's plenty of opportunity in events with an entry fee of as little as £10.

When you get to the end you don't tend to say "who got here first" but more "did xxxx get here?" "is xxxx alright?". Or is that just me?

And you lot with 2000's, you're just getting old. I'd love a 2000 but can't see it suiting my current driving style. I like the revving, noisy, sometimes bumpy feel to the Herald. And it holds the road like a limpet. Although I've never driven one so if anyone is willing to let me have a go... ;)

Raider wrote:

In fact it was all very relaxed at Lancaster - no screaming tyres, no revving engines, no rushing about. There was plenty of milling about and chatting going on as well as crews sat around having a coffee and taking in the atmosphere.

I dont think that the RBRR had anything to do with creating the "atmosphere" that all the male drivers were taking in  ;) ;)

ferny wrote:
When you get to the end you don't tend to say "who got here first" but more "did xxxx get here?" "is xxxx alright?". Or is that just me?

And you lot with 2000's, you're just getting old. I'd love a 2000 but can't see it suiting my current driving style. I like the revving, noisy, sometimes bumpy feel to the Herald. And it holds the road like a limpet. Although I've never driven one so if anyone is willing to let me have a go... ;)

Ferny told me that he won.  Was he lying again?

There are strictly enforced rules about who can own a 2000.  They're not for oiks like you Ferny. ;)

sorbs wrote:

I have absolutely no idea - you're the first person to ask. It's not a race, no-one treats it as a race, except for those who've never participated.

You've said many times that you've no interest in taking part this event, it's very difficult to quantify the atmosphere to someone who is so convinced it's a bad idea. In 2006 we visited the Pimperne control as a family, to watch the cars coming through, and that was the point I decided I wanted to take part next time. Until then I had been sceptical - not about the event per-se, but about my own stamina and will to complete it.

I wouldn't want to do the run with a two man crew - that's more of a social thing than a safety matter. I don't want to spend so many hours driving while the car's only other occupant is asleep. That was my preconception, and having done it I feel I was correct. Two man crews are fione for those with the discipline and ability to sleep on demand, but not for me.

Cheers,
Bill.

"Staggered start"  Bit like Le Mans?

But seriously, the journey to and from the Plough is the least enjoyable part, for us far flung members of the Empire.
(Lancaster was still in the Commonwealth last time I looked)

IMHO it would detract from the spirit of the event, not to have the mass start.
But this is essentially a circular trip around Britain.  The actual start point is irrelevant.
So, how about starting from a a different point each year?
No need to change the route, but start from controls near centres of population.
Next year start from Blythe, then Edinburgh, then Lancaster (maybe not, no one lives there), the Chester control (name forgotten), Gordano.  Everyone gets a local-ish start once in a while.

John
PS I just KNOW this will be howled down by the Southrons.
  But I propose it anyway.

jcarruthers wrote:
I love it - yet again ignorant Sorbs tries to make trouble by implying things that he has no idea of.

Nonsense!  You do come out with some ridiculous statements at times James.

There's no use sticking your head in the sand on this issue, the event is widely perceived as some sort of race by the outside world.

sorbs wrote:

Nonsense!  You do come out with some ridiculous statements at times James.

There's no use sticking your head in the sand on this issue, the event is widely perceived as some sort of race by the outside world.

Alan please understand;

[center] It Is Not A Race [/center]

Archived