• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so why do the cars all get numbers?

James said he wanted one of those starts where you have to run to your cars.

He said the rest of you were so fat and old that he'd have a clear advantage, and he said won anyway.

I think you should force him to team up with sorbs next time as a handicap. It might force them to resolve their issues too.

Sorbs reckons that everyone in the outside world thinks of this as a race.  But then look at his location - 'Sorbsworld'.  The conclusion is obvious.

As for all the cars having numbers, I could barely see any numbers when out spectating, not like those on rally cars.  I would suggest that the only element of competition is in completing the event itself, which is the true nature of a reliability run.  Yes, there may be some spirited driving involved, but isn't that true of most times that we take out the cars we love?  

I sense a little more stirring is on the cards here, rather than the making of relevant points or constructive criticism.

resto_virgin wrote:

Tradition - none are ever put on the cars and Tim said at the driver's meeting that if any car did have them on then they would be removed.

Quote:

That would have been a laugh and certainly entertaining - and then pointless as regards getting any kind of advantage as the Plough car park was packed!

Quote:
He said the rest of you were so fat and old that he'd have a clear advantage, and he said won anyway.

Good spot of joshing I reckon and if he had "won" can you point out where the results table is?

Quote:
I think you should force him to team up with sorbs next time as a handicap. It might force them to resolve their issues too.

OK so James might have needed a bit more in the diplomacy skills area but I wonder why he thought Sorbs might have no idea of the event and what it was like?

Slowdown wrote:
a little more stirring

Not so sure about the "little" in there -- the sh** is going round so fast I'm getting dizzy  ??)

I've only ever experienced the RBRR as a marshall -- at Conon Bridge in 2006 -- and it's something that'll stick in my memory for a long time. The buzz, atmosphere, call it what you like, was infectious -- but at the same time it was relaxed, laid back, people wondering about eating, gabbing, looking at cars, some snoozing etc etc.

Personally I reckon you need to have been involved in some way to understand what the RBRR is really all about -- like almost all things in life there is no real understanding of anything until you have experienced it first hand for yourself.

When I said Handicap, I meant because Sorbs weight would slow the car down, his belligerent attitude would take Carruthberts mind off winning, and he'd end up lagging behind when Sorbs had to drive because Sorbs drives like a hat-wearing pensioner on Ketamine. He does drive an automatic, dont-you-know!

OK time to really make it official then - The Round Britain is NOT a race and anyone caught racing by the club officers WILL be told to stop doing so IMMEDIATELY. Failure to comply WILL result in that entrant being excluded from the event.
   Frankly however, anyone even wishing to race for 48 hours has clearly no idea what the event is about or about racing either. You simply can't do it. That would be dangerous and stupid.
   The challenge is a personal one, the fun is derived from so many different elements of the event as already expressed here that to talk about it as if it were a race is to completely miss the point.
   This event does not appeal to all, nor does any other single event we run, if you've tried it and found it not to your taste then fair enough.
   As someone who has now done 12 of these, about half in 2 seaters and the rest in 4 seaters, I can tell you that that too alters the event.
   It is very different with a crew of 3 in a big saloon or 2 cars together with a combined crew of 5 rotating the driving through both cars ( as we did one year with a 2500 saloon and the 2.5PI pick-up ) so that everyone gets a good solid 2 hour kip at least once during the event.
   If you really don't fancy doing it again Si ( or anyone else ) then fair enough, but it might be worth either using a big saloon or 'teaming up' to overcome the lack of sleep problem.
   Having twice done the event in a 2 seater with my wife ( who really can't sleep in a car ) I can understand how awful it must be for those who can't get their heads down - if you're one of those this event is not for you.
   As for the rest of us lucky b*st*rds - bring on the next one ( after the '09 HCR & 10CR & '10 HCR ).  

resto_virgin wrote:
When I said Handicap, I meant because Sorbs weight would slow the car down, his belligerent attitude would take Carruthberts mind off winning, and he'd end up lagging behind when Sorbs had to drive because Sorbs drives like a hat-wearing pensioner on Ketamine. He does drive an automatic, dont-you-know!

You ill mannered brute!

Slowdown wrote:
Sorbs reckons that everyone in the outside world thinks of this as a race.  But then look at his location - 'Sorbsworld'.  The conclusion is obvious.

As for all the cars having numbers, I could barely see any numbers when out spectating, not like those on rally cars.  I would suggest that the only element of competition is in completing the event itself, which is the true nature of a reliability run.  Yes, there may be some spirited driving involved, but isn't that true of most times that we take out the cars we love?  

I sense a little more stirring is on the cards here, rather than the making of relevant points or constructive criticism.

If you read my posts properly, you'll see that I've given advice on how to cope with tiredness when driving 1500 or 2000 miles in a weekend, something I've done on a number of occassions.  Don't tell me I know nothing about it.

As for expressing various opinions and thoughts, I don't get in a huff when people express such thoughts to me.  Why everyone should get upset when I mention such issues on the forum is beyond me.

Bill:  What am I, "Choppped Liver"  :'(  You did it with a two MAN crew!  Of course we had your Lady with us. ::)  By the way Karen was and has to be the best navagator who has ever run the event! (clap)  I could however see how you would have prefered two lady's. :X  I said before this is not for everyone!  Take my wife (please) their is no way she would, not her thing, however I have her full support.   I can well understand those who don't want to do this.  If you are not up to it or have no interest that's ok.  I can even understand those who think this is not a good idea.   I could say don't knock if you ain't tried it.  Remember not all events are for everyone.  I'm not into raceing (driving or watching) but I don't knock those who do.  If the RBRR is not your thing and that's ok, and no one will think less of you.  However some just might think less of you for knocking those of us who enjoy the run.  At least I can say, if I don't do the next one it was NOT, because someone talked me out of it or due to negetive comments!  

Must admit the biggest pain in the arse about the RBR for me  is getting to the start and the last 20/30 miles to the finish North London Fridays M25 and all that I HATE THE M25/LONDON traffic spent 10 years in it! I  am old and grumpy now so would like a start finish in a pleasant country location sopmwhere !!  :) get on it Tim!

sorbs wrote:

As for expressing various opinions and thoughts, I don't get in a huff when people express such thoughts to me.  Why everyone should get upset when I mention such issues on the forum is beyond me.

The only one getting in a huff is you!

sorbs wrote:

Hardly.  It depends who you talk to.

Clearly talking to yourself again, why not talk to some real people, they are the ones outside your room, in the place we call "the real world".

It's not a race, never has been, never will be - I know this fact is difficult for you to accept. It's just a boring old drive in the country side, which, if memory serves me, you didn't want to do. Funny how you keep going on and on (and on) about it.

resto_virgin wrote:

I'd like to point out to everyone that I've never said any such thing.

Of course you've probably guessed that already...

Hmm, as the car that crashed out and unable to continue in Scotland, I would like to add my opinion. In the spit I found it a tad noisy but the nice comfy MX5 seats made for a very good sleeping position, had no issues with tiredness at all beyond a normal motorway trip. In fact I usually feel sleepier on a return visit to the in-laws who lve 45mins away.
The feeling of "inclusiveness" is fantastic (please note, not "exclusiveness"), everybody is helpful to a fault, those who helped immediately after the accident were fantastic, and I have no doubt any of the teams would have helped in exactly the same way.
people I know who have sponsered me have no issues with paying the money, and I guess I did complete the run, albeit partly as a passenger/non-driver.
Do I think it is dangerous? It could be if twits who do not know/understand their own limits take part, or people who aim to race, but I honestly saw none of that. Everybody was humble enough to recognise tiredness and take restbreaks as needed. Would I do it again, I think so, subject to the lady wife allowing me and getting a suitable car sorted. Need mine back to donate its innards to the next one. Next time no last minute decisions to swap a diff or whatever. Apart from that good to go, even the hand has needed nothing more than plasters and some antibiotics. Never know whats on a rock in Scotland.
It is fair enough that Simon didn't enjoy the run, especially as I found the initial parts a bit tedious, it definately got better as the trip progressed.
I hope Alan finds events to do with his 2000, seems he enjoys just driving it, which is better than not. The RBRR is all about the driving and the buzz of the event. I also have enjoyed some of the other cheap motorsport, autosolo's being ace 8) and 12 car road rallies are a hoot too. Think they were £7 each :) plus a few bob for a coke and pork scratchings.

Clive

Alan,

In case it has escaped your attention. It is illegal to race on the public highway in Great Britain. You should have learnt this when you read the highway code prior to taking your driving test.

The Club is very careful to comply with the law and to be seen to comply with the law. So there is no race, there is no racing, and there is no winner. As Dale and others have said any attempt to turn it into a race would be dealt with quickly and (I think) serverely.

It is a shame you did not take part in this event; but as a non attender, you really do not know what you are talking about. Your patent lack of knowledge regarding the event and your contentious posts, to me demonstrate a purile attempt to stir it up and upset people.

Why do you talk about something you do not understand, you have not made the effort to take part in, and you as much said that 'you could not be bothered to take part in as it was a waste of money'?

i was in a tr4 so two person crew, didn't do anything illegal on the roads and we changed drivers when needed. not once did i or my co driver feel to tired to drive, cat naps when the other was driving was the key for us! we got to lands end early so we slept in the car for an hour and that kept us going all day, i finally got home at 11pm sunday evening and was still up at 1am so tiredness was no problem!!
i will be back in 2010 with the tr4 without a doubt!!

tom

Archived