• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GT6boy wrote:
Sod it- next time i'm doing it in a Lifeboat ;).

So next time who's going to do it in the Amphicar; could definitely have fun doing an alternate route in Scotland straight across the lochs as well as avoiding the Severn Bridge toll by going straight across the river.

Greeks wrote:
Well I think the whole RBRR!!! (does that count as typing in capitals with lots of exclamation marks?) has lost its edge.

WHOOAAAA!!!!!!! CALM DOWN GREEKS!!!!!!  Think of your blood pressure.  

I've just walked to the vending machine to get a kit kat instead of sending the office junior out for some enormous cream cakes.

Resto, does that follow your ethos of "Eat less, move more"?

I do beleive there are quite anumber of cars Mr Fat could choose, having indicated that he wishes to be first to do it in a particular model each time.

Mayflower
Renown
1800 / 2000 saloon or Roadster

The if feeling really brave selection

Gloria
Original Dolomite

The would be interesting selection

1300-4wd (might require a bit of building first)
Pony?? (do any exist any more??)
Standard Gazelle

Mmmm....

Anything else???

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
I do beleive there are quite anumber of cars Mr Fat could choose, having indicated that he wishes to be first to do it in a particular model each time.

Colin

There are plenty to go at here without introducing any new ones into the collection. I have used the RBRR ( and 10CR) as an excuse to resurrect one of the long dead cars (vans) we have hiding away here. It's been a superb incentive to put something back on the road that might otherwise have never happened. Thanks to Club Triumph we have managed to maintain 8 Triumph's in a roadworthy/MOT'd/taxed condition this year. Mind it's costing me a fortune in MOT's!  

Well took the chance to take pictures of the trusty steed before pulling off the stickers and giving it a well earned hose down! Had to strip the interior out as the new windscreen that was fitted before RBRR leaked like a sieve.  :o

Was I the only one this weekend looking at the clock thinking "this time a week ago we were just at........."  ;D

First RBRR ever and im totally hooked, absolutely loved it. Met some great people along the way, had a laugh and was really proud of the old girl built every nut and bolt by my old man. Cant wait until 2010 already.  8)

Wayne_S wrote:

Was I the nly one this weekend looking at the clock thinking this time a week ago.........  ;D

Nope! I bored my wife all weekend(!) with "...And this time last week we were flying through Glencoe!!!!!" Drone, drone, drone..... :B

This thread has it all, a true classic of recent times.

Sparked off by the expression of a slightly controversial viewpoint which upset the usual people and got an instant defensive reaction, lots of sensible comment inbetween from the majority, me, as ever, trying to keep everyone calm,  the inevitable personal insults from Jason and Cuthberts, KEVINR wittering on about Trolls or fairies or something, lots of misinformed accusations, Chatterton going on about how polishing is more important, some nice photos of cars and then some words of wisdom from Resto & that Greek fella.

Great fun.  If the RBRR is as good as this thread then I may renew my lapsed membership and take part in the next one.

Personal insults - nothing of the sort. Defence of something we hold dear against silly accusations based on nothing -yes.

You can't expect to come here and ramble to the experienced "converted" and not expect your viewpoint to be shot down. Something you continually are amazed at Sorbs - I just cannot understand why!

It's a bad example - but do you go to church on Sunday and call everyone godless? Would you be surprised by the reactions? No...

Every year similar things get bought up - it's dangerous! it's a race! why does it cost so much! Always by people who have never done the event - most don't have a clue about it. The actual reality of it is entirely different.

I feel sorry for Si for having had his car gone wrong - but I don't understand the sudden reservations over an event you enter then have to pull out of so quickly. People make their own risk assessment of an event before entering it - I presume if they don't think it's wise to enter they don't.

Si has done the HCR - which I (and others) actually rate as being more knackering than the RBRR.

You hit the nail on the head - if you haven't taken part in the event then you can't throw your own opinion on it.

I agree Resto, such comments from people with Club Officer or whatever next to their name reflect very badly on the club itself, even if the views expressed are personal.  It must be off putting to a lot of people, and hints strongly at elitism.

To be fair to Carrutherington, I think he’s quite young, and probably doesn’t have much experience of driving events / road trips outside of CT.  Some of my continental trips and probably your tour of New Zealand put things like the RBRR into perspective.

There are many good points to the RBRR, it’s obviously a lot of fun (even if it does make Chatterton’s exhaust and wheels dirty) but there are some negative aspects too. The cost and potential for tiredness are considerations for some.  I don’t know why highlighting some of the negative aspects should cause such upset. Some people just don't like being disagreed with.  People need to chill out and be a bit more open minded about the whole thing.

Oh yes, I never go near churches.  I’m afraid of being struck by lightning.

Jason wrote:

Oh the irony :-)

I don't think you fully understand the concept of irony, Jason.

I was merely stating facts.

I never said James couldn't be rude or belittling, I was just stating that he had been. In light of the fact that he'd said he hadn't made personal insults I think that's a fair comment to make. Sanctimonious is a fair term to use as he seems to think that the club is above criticism. He said people don't have a right to criticise club events if they haven't taken part. Prior to this he'd criticised the negative opinions of someone who has  taken part, and he criticised in a particularly curt manner.

If you think that amounts to irony then I suppose we'll both just have to put it down to your ignorance.

Archived