Just a heads up about next years CT biggie!

The 23rd RBRR will be run over the 1st weekend of October 2012, supporting 'Children With Cancer'.

The Announcement and Entry Form will be in the November 2011 edition of Club Torque. Main entrant must be a current member of CT at both the time of entry and weekend of the Event.

Looking at costs at present, hoping that we can offer the entry cost at the same rate of 2010. We will endeavour to keep any rise down to the minimum.

Not sure what the response will be, obviously we hope that we get similar numbers as the last couple of RBRRs, obviously fuel costs will be the big factor.

The same team will run the event as the couple: Jason Chinn, Nigel Abdullah, James Carruthers, and Tim Bancoft with back up from the Ctte of the Club. The team is chomping at the bit to get started!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

timbancroft61 wrote:
Reg,

Be good to see you on the event.

I'll be marshaling on Thursday so will hope to have a chat with you. Good luck on the 10CR, I hope that you all have a successful time.

Hopefully you have packed a bag just in case someone's co-driver drops out.

Russell and Dave regretted it immensely on the 2008 RBRR, stood at the start waving everyone off, when they could have jumped in the saloons with us.

I expect to see you with your thumb out down Bullsmoor Lane holding a card saying "Stelvio"

:-)

Aaron,

Just to echo Clive's comments. Sorry, but we do insist that all entrants attempt to raise money for the Charity that we have chosen. So far the Club's RBRR record on Charity collecting is impressive, dammed if I can remember the full figure at pres, think its getting on for 400K.

Be nice to see you taking part, once done you may become addicted to endurance driving! Oh and feel the need to buy a big saloon!

Oh I already feel the need to buy a big saloon; tried to buy a £300 one once; but my offer of £7.62 was out bid  :'(

And it'll have to wait until I'm old enough to get insurance on a car with a 2.0 litre engine (or 2.5 Pi; 'cos that's the cool one  ;) )

I highly doubt my Spitfire would actually make it; my longest journey on this engine has been 2.7 miles; about twenty minutes ago. And it will not idle at all; has far less power than the old engine (which effectively had just two working pistons and drank more oil than petrol) and I think a UJ and gone; as there's a nasty thunk when one releases the throttle.

But saying that; I bet Howard would let me use his ;D

I'm thinking about doing this in the Herald, now it's a 948 so not the fastest car in the world, but thats not the biggest problem the car has been off the road since 1994 and is far from even being on the road, hell it don't even run at the min!

Reliability run? It'll be a miracle if I get it on the road in time for the event but I feel if I don't have something to aim for I will leave the car in the garage and nothing will get done...

Stephend

Very much doubt i will enter this time round, But it would be nice to get the pi estate round after the failure last time,
Its just the cost of petrol and if i could put up with the discomfit of my legs and not being able walk for days afterwards.
I am planning to offer my sevices as a marshall somewhere,

cheers andy

CRAJ wrote:

What's the latest on your car Mike, or is that a sore subject? I know how Alan's car is getting on as I saw it last weekend.

Colin.

I am waiting for my new paintshop to get a "slot" to take the car in for repaint.

I am tempted to finish the engine and get the exhaust system made up in the meantime, but I need some motivation to start again after all the grief

mike

We both seem to have "stalled" for different reasons......... hopefully one of us will start again soon and spur (or shame?!) the other into action!

I am DETERMINED to have mine finished in time for the 2000 Register Nationals in June 2012, which means it will be run in and de-bugged ready for the RBRR in October 2012............ long ways to go before then though!!!

I have been busy this summer too, which hasn't helped. I know why you haven't had time, how are the girls?

I MUST try and get into the garage this weekend, its just I cannot face stripping a nearly finished car, getting the engine running and the car moving may help.

I have found lots of new parts for it too

mike

PS I have a spare nos black center rear carpet for you if you want

Black centre rear?............. estate load bay or interior?

I have NOS interior carpets (tranny tunnel, main section and footwells) I have the piece in the estate rear which goes directly behind the seat squab, intending to re-colour and reuse the rear arch covers, so only really need the two pieces for the spare wheel well and the petrol tank cover................

Also, STILL trying to track down an estate tailgate seal!!...... have various old ones, enough to mix 'n' match a cobble together job, but a NOS one would be ideal!!!

Girls are doing just great, amazing how quickly they have settled, K starts school tomorrow................!

I'm looking forwards to this...got a whole list of stuff to do to my Spitfire though:

Fit my HS2s, get my leather seats done, change the exhausts for something  a lot more sensible, replace Brake parts, leaf spring, differential, uprate lights, check and uprate electrical system, full service. I'm also going to have someone help me with my door adjustment or as the case may be, have my sills re-done if this is what I need to stop giving my car doors a teeth rattling slam.

I'm presently averaging 27mpg so I want to improve this if at all possible, I am not sure if it's because of my driving, or just that the car is severely out of tune. I'm about ready to have the new t-piece brazed together on to my inlet manifold, then it can all go on and I can see how good by HS2 rebuilding skills are. It's taken a lot longer than I expected to put them on, but once the t-piece is brazed together, I will be ready to go. That's the plan at least!

I've also found that my oil level is on 'minimum' so I need to find out if my engine is burning oil or not!

Kind regards,

David

2783 wrote:

Reliability run? It'll be a miracle if I get it on the road in time for the event but I feel if I don't have something to aim for I will leave the car in the garage and nothing will get done...

Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt 3 times now.

Well once myself (20 years off road), once as a half owner (only off road a few years but bodged to buggery by previous owners) and once as a supporter of the owner (off road 15-odd years)

Having a target is very good.

If you take a 948 you will need to very very conscious of the timings, there are a lot less long straight sections where power is less important than there used to be.

And there are lots of people out there willing to be co-drivers.

But... START NOW!!!! It is only 12 months away, and that is not very long, do not start with a week to go, like others I know.. :-)

Chjeers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

But... START NOW!!!! It is only 12 months away, and that is not very long, do not start with a week to go, like others I know.. :-)

After a fantastic 10CR, I'm already impatient for this one to come round!  ;)

I think I'll let my cars take turns though. I might book the Mk2 estate on the HCR and the yellow Mk1 for the RBRR.  :)

(and pack plenty of spare wheels!  ;D)

Archived